June 1902

Sunday 1st   It was a beautiful day.   Revd R, Mckinney held service in the morning, there was a large attendance, I rode down on Fanny and put her in the sheep pen, and after service I rode over to Ti Point to spend the day with Joe & Minnie, Mr McKinney accompanied me as far as the Ti Point road, he was going to dine at D. Darrochs and to hold service at Big Omaha school at 2 pm.  Willie also walked over to Ti Point and after dinner we all walked to the trig station, where you got a beautiful view.
Jane staid at home all by herself.

Monday 2nd   It was a fine day.  I was digging in the flower garden and Willie was digging round the Lemons.

Tuesday 3rd   It was a beautiful day.  Willie and we digging between the Early Rose Potatoes in the garden.  We went down to the wharf in the pm to see the “Rose Casey” off, there was a lot of fish to go away in her, also a lot of Maoris from Big Omaha.  Mrs Arthur Wright and family left by her, she is going to live at Whangarei to be near her husband who is working near there,  Jack Dunning also went by her, he is going in search of work.

Wednesday 4th   It was a beautiful day.  In the morning we mended the wire fence in the cow paddock,  afterwards we got all the Sheep in from the farm and in the afternoon we cleaned them.

Thursday 5th   It was a beautiful day.  In the morning we Killed a wether lamb that broke its leg when we were cleaning them yesterday.  Mr Charlie Wyatt was here for lunch.  We transplanted 3 young budded Peach trees into the orchard where we took out some old apple trees.  George Wyatt came in the afternoon to pay the rent of the Cottage.

Friday 6th   It was a beautiful day, the sea was very calm and glassy. Minnie walked over from Ti Point and was here for dinner, and Miss Hutchinson was here for tea.  Willie and I were digging in the orchard today, we commenced below the large Vicar Pear tree between the large Plum and Pear trees and we worked down,  there were a good many docks, sorrel and convolvulus which we picked out, it turned over very well and we did a large piece.

Saturday 7th   It was a fine day.  Willie rode to Ti Point to fish & he brought home 2 large schnappers.  I was digging in the orchard in the morning.  In the afternoon I attended a meeting of the Road Board in the Hall, afterwards the members went to inspect the road deviation on the Goat Island road.  There was a meeting in the Library in the evening to meet Mr Garner, the Manager of the Waipu Butter Factory who came by the “Rob Roy” this morning, he gave us a lot of valuable information respecting starting a Butter factory here.

Sunday 8th   Jane went to the Bible Class in the morning & Miss Hutchinson came up with her for lunch.  It started to rain in the afternoon & rained all evening.

Monday 9th   It poured with rain early this morning after that it cleared up and was very fine in the afternoon.  The wind also has changed round to the west.  We got a good stock of firewood and were pulling up tea tree in the front. The “Rose Casey” arrived from Auckland at 11 pm, Mr Harper came up by her and brought timber sashes and bricks for his new Hotel.

Tuesday 10th   Jane rode to Pakiri early in the morning to pay some visits.  Willie and I went down to the Steamer in the morning to sell the butter and eggs, the Rose should have left at 9 am, but she had so much cargo to discharge that it was nearly 10 before she got away.  Captain McKinvan was laid up with sickness so Joe Rogers was in command.   When we got home it commenced to rain steadily and continued for some time.  Walter Wyatt who returned in the “Kawau” early this morning was here for dinner.  The weather cleared up a little in the afternoon and I was pulling some tea tree in the front.

Wednesday 11th   It was a dull day, but it did not rain.  Willie and I were pulling and cutting tea tree and making heaps in the corner beyond the cross roads.

Thursday 12th   It was a fine day, very dull and calm, the ground did not dry much.  We were cutting tea tree and heather and making heaps beyond the cross roads.  Jane returned from Pakiri in the afternoon.

Friday 13th   It was fine in the morning, we took the bullock down to the wharf and hauled up some sifted soil.  We had a heavy shower of rain in the middle of the day and after it cleared up the ground was very wet.  I was planting some little plants in the flower garden that Jane brought from Pakiri.

Saturday 14th   It was misty in the morning, but it turned out a fine day.  Willie and I were cutting tea tree beyond the cross roads in the morning.  In the afternoon Willie rode down to the Goat Island beach to fish, but he did not catch any.  Jane went down to the Cemetery to tidy up Maud‘s grave.   I walked to Mr T. W. Knaggs to get some flower roots, while I was there I witnessed Mr Knaggs signature.  I also called in at McKenzies and witnessed Mr & Mrs McKenzies signature for the Old age Pension.

Sunday 15th   It was a fine day.  Jane went to Bible Class and Miss Hutchinson returned with her for lunch.  I read service in the Hall in the pm, there was a larger congregation than usual.  After Church Jane and Miss Hutchinson went to Mrs G. Knaggs for tea.  Willie went to spend the day at Ti Point.

Monday 16th   It was a fine day.  Willie was cutting tea tree in the front.  I was working in the flower garden in the morning and in the afternoon I went up to Mr Handbys.

Tuesday 17th   It was a fine day.  I walked over to Ti Point in the morning, called at Mr Neeleys and got some flower cuttings, had lunch at Minnie and came round in the Steamer.

Wednesday 18th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were digging out dock & convolvulus in the orchard.
Miss Lloyds, Miss Maunder & May Dunning called in the afternoon.  Alf Wyatt was here for tea & Ted Harper came to be sworn in as a member of the Rodney Mounted Rifles.

Thursday 19th   It was a fine day.  We had a big fire in the orchard and burned up the dock and convolvulus roots that we dug out.  We also moulded up the Early Rose Potatoes.

Friday 20th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were cutting tea tree and making heaps at the cross roads both morning and afternoon.  Jane went to call on Mrs A. Dunning and brought home some flower cuttings.  Miss Hutchinson called in the evening.

Saturday 21st   It was a dull day but it did not rain.  Willie went to Ti Point to fish, but he did not catch any.  Joe killed his pig on Thursday and he sent by Willie a large piece of pork.  I took a walk up the hill in the pm, called at Kempts and Jno Greenwoods, at the latter place I was given a lot of flower cuttings.

Sunday 22nd   It was a dull day.  Revd G. T. Marshall (Wesleyan) held service in the Hall in the pm.  Dan Kempt came up here for tea.
Willie went to spend the day at Ti Point.

Monday 23rd   It was blowing very strong from the NE.  I was working in the flower garden all day planting the cuttings that I brought home on Saturday.  There were showers in the afternoon and after dark the wind lulled and then it poured with rain.   The “Rose Casey” should have come this evening, but on account of the weather she did not come.  There should have been a Social in the Hall in the evening but it did not come off.

Tuesday 24th   It is still blowing strong, but it did not rain.  I went down to the Village in the morning, no sign of the Steamer coming.
I was pulling up tea tree in the afternoon.

Wednesday 25th   It was a showery day. The “Rose Casey” has not put in an appearance yet, several passengers are waiting for her, but the “Rob Roy” on her way from Waipu on her way to Auckland put in an appearance about 1.30 and took them up.
I received the following Telegram

“Chairman Omaha Road Board,
I have just received a cable from Mr Seddon dated London  24th 1.45 pm.   His Majesty the King suffering from Peritonitis.   Operation necessary.   Coronation postponed.
J. G. Ward
Acting Premier”

Jane rode to Matakana leading Fanny for Mr Avey’s boys to return with her on Friday.  The weather cleared in the afternoon and the wind has gone round to the W.   Willie & I were pulling & cutting tea tree.

Thursday 26th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were cutting & pulling up tea tree all day.  We killed a Wether in the evening.

Friday 27th   There were a few showers during the day.  I cut up the Sheep and Willie took a quarter to Mrs T. Wyatt.   We heard by the “Rob Roy” that Bishop Cowie died yesterday.  Jane returned from Matakana in the pm bringing the Avey boys with her to stay with us. There was a Social in the Hall in the evening, about 33 were present. The game Ping Pong was introduced for the first time.  It rained heavily while we were in the Hall, but it held up to allow us to get home and then it poured with rain all night.  Jessie Neeley returned with us to stay the night.

Saturday 28th   It was a fine day.  I went down to the Hall in the pm to straighten up.

Sunday 29th   It was a very fine day.  I conducted a memorial service in the Hall in the afternoon for the late Bishop Cowie, the reading desk was draped in black.  Mrs Sim played the dead march after the service, the congregation was larger than usual.

Monday 30th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were cutting tea tree in the front.  In the afternoon I went over to Joe Wyatts to get some Cypress trees.