December 1903

Tuesday 1st   A wet day.  Wind still blowing strong from SE.  I picked some flowers in the afternoon and took them down to the Hall.  Also went down to the Hall in the evening to enter the exibits, there was no one there but Mr Handby and no other exhibits entered.

Wednesday 2nd   It rained all morning.  Willie & I took some more exhibits down to the Hall about 9 am.  Mr Handby was the only one there and no exhibits brought forward .  People were unable to do so on account of the weather and bad state of the roads.  We went home again and came down again in the afternoon to meet the “Claymore“, she had a very rough passage and nearly everyone were sick,  Mrs Burke (Pianist), Jack Lewis, Charlie Mayall & Mr Bentham came up, so there was a social in the evening and Jack Lewis & C. Mayall sang a lot of songs,  Charlie Mayall went back in the “Claymore“, but Mr Bentham came up to our place and staid the night.

Thursday 3rd   The weather was a bit finer.  Willie took Mr Bentham over to Mr Torkingtons in the morning.  I went down to the Hall & wharf.  George Wyatt came to ask if Jane would go down to the beach as Maud was confined of a daughter yesterday morning and Aunt Jane went to Auckland with Honor, so Jane went, and I took Alma home to Ti Point.

Friday 4th   It was a fine day.  Willie took the bullock down to the wharf in the morning and hauled up a Sack of Maize and a box of Groceries.  I was also down to the Post Office and got the mail which came by the “Kawau” yesterday.  We were digging in the orchard in the afternoon.

Saturday 5th   It was a fine day.  We were digging in the orchard in the morning.  In the afternoon Willie went fishing to Maori Point  and caught 14 scnappers.  I returned some Maize to Charlie Wyatts, went down to the beach for some sand  and called in at the Tennis Court .  They were also playing Cricket up at Charlies place .

Sunday 6th   It was a fine day.  Willie went to Ti Point to spend the day.  Jane came up here in the middle of the day to straighten up. I went down to hear Revd G. T. Marshall in the afternoon.

Monday 7th   It was a fine day.  We were digging in the orchard in the morning and we planted some Cabbage plants and a few Kumera plants.

Tuesday 8th   It was fine in the morning.  Jane washed in the morning.  Joe Harper came and staid for dinner.  Willie dug some Potatoes and picked some Peas that were growing down at the Cottage , he heard from Albert that Walter Frearson had got in his Sheep to shear them, and that a Ewe & Lamb of ours were in with them, and although it was raining Willie and I went over after dinner but on account of the rain Walter had let the Sheep out.  He had killed a Sheep and I ordered a quarter.  Willie took the bullock down to the wharf with a box of eggs & butter and hauled up a Sack of Maize one of those that came last week.  Mr Roose came and staid all night.  The “Claymore” arrived about 9 pm, but it was raining too heavily for any of us to go down.

Wednesday 9th   It was a fine day.  I went down to the wharf to see the “Claymore” off in the morning, Mr Greenwood went by her on his return to Whangarei.  We gave Mr Roose a small order.  Willie went over to Mr Frearsons and brought a hind quarter of mutton, it weighed just on 18 lbs.  Willie also went down to the Kawau and got a loaf of bread.

Thursday 10th   It was a fine day.  We were planting Kumera plants in the morning, this makes 113 planted .  In the afternoon we loosened round and stuck the White Dutch Beans

Friday 11th   It was a fine day.  I went down to the Post Office in the morning.
I sowed some Lettuce seed in a box, also 4 rows in the garden.  Willie was tightening up the fence and clearing up the stock yard .  I went down for the mail in the evening.  There was a meeting of the Flower Show Committee, also of the Hall Committee.

Saturday 12th   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie and I were cleaning out the workshop also fixing up the yard for shearing .  In the afternoon Willie rode to Ti Point to fish, he brought home some fine schnappers.
I went down to the Cottage and picked a lot of Peas, also dug some potatoes.

Sunday 13th   It was a fine day.  Revd T. Latter held service in the Hall in the afternoon, all of us went.  Collection 13/3 .
Willie Dunning came up to borrow Empress to go to the Dacres Claim service this evening, but it came on to rain so we let Empress loose again, Willie staid here for tea.  I heard afterwards that Mr Latter had a congregation of 40 at the Claim Hall this evening, which was very good considering the rain.

Monday 14th   It rained steadily nearly all day.  I wrote a letter to Noel Wallace.

Tuesday 15th   It came on to rain about 10 am, and rained nearly all day.  Willie and I went down to the Steamer in the afternoon, 9 passengers came down by her.  We carried up a parcel of drapery from the D. S. C.

Wednesday 16th   There were only a few showers.  Willie and I were cutting tea tree in the front all day.

Thursday 17th   Willie & I were cutting tea tree in the front all day.

Friday 18th   It was a fine day.  Charlie Wyatt came to shear the Sheep, we got in those that were in the front and sheared them, there were 17 Wethers and 2 Ewes.  We put them back there again.  Charlie castrated the 2 Bull Calves that were out in the front.
There was a Christmas Tree this evening at Pakiri, most of the young people from here went.

Saturday 19th   There was a very heavy dew last night, and it was a fine hot day.  Charlie Wyatt came again to shear, we got some sheep up from the farm,  38 were shorn.

Sunday 20th   It was a fine day though dull.  Willie and I went to spend the day at Ti Point, we took Minnie some Peas and Strawberries.

Monday 21st   It was a beautiful day.  Charlie came again today to shear , we got in all the Sheep from the E.R. and farm.  38 Sheep were shorn.  Charlie also tailed the Lambs, the seses were as follows
18 Ewes
6 Wethers
We also shut up a Ram Lamb to kill for Christmas.

Tuesday 22nd   It was a fine day.  We killed the Lamb in the evening.  We all went down to the village in the evening to meet the “Claymore“.  There was a Progressive Euchre Parties in the evening, Jane & I went, Jane won the 1st Prize.

Wednesday 23rd   It was a fine day, we were doing odd jobs round the house.

Thursday 24th   It was a fine day.  Willie took some Lamb over to Minnie,

Friday 25th   Christmas Day.  It was fine weather.  We spent a quiet day by ourselves.  We went down to the Tennis in the afternoon.

Saturday 26th   It was a fine day.  I went down to the wharf to get some sand in the afternoon and called in at the Tennis.
Willie rode to Ti Point to fish, he brought home a few small schnapper.

Sunday 27th   It was a fine day.  Just as we were sitting down to breakfast Harold Torkington,  Flo’,  Grace & Victor Simpson dropped in having just landed from Auckland in the old “Kawau“, we were very glad to see them.   After breakfast Harold, Flo, Victor, Willie and I went over to Ti Point to spend the day at Minnies.  Grace staid at home with Jane.  Flo’ is going to stay with Minnie and Grace and Victor with us .  Hettie & Alf Wyatt & Miss Bourne called in the evening.

Monday 28th   It was a beautiful day.  The annual boxing day picnic was held today on the beach.  Joe, Minnie and the children, Harold Mr Torkington & Flo Simpson came over and had dinner with us, and then we all went down to the beach to the picnic, there was a very large gathering and it went off very well.  While we were down there the old “Kawau” came in from Mangawai on her way to Auckland.
There was a very successful dance in the Hall in the evening.  Joe and Minnie went home after the dance, but Flo & Harold staid at our place all night,

Tuesday 29th   It was a fine day.  Willie and Victor went over to Ti Point fishing and brought home 8 medium sized schnappers.  I took a box of Eggs & a bunch of flowers down to the wharf  in the afternoon expecting that the old “Kawau” would be leaving at 2 pm and waited about a long time, but she did not come – we heard afterwards that she had broken down and that she did not arrive here until 11.30 to night.  Jane and Grace went down to the Tennis in the evening.

Wednesday 30th   It was a fine day, but the wind has got to the NE and it threatens for rain.  We killed a Sheep in the pm.  Jane & Grace went down in the pm to cut up sandwiches & to play at Tennis.  There was a Social in the Hall in the evening.

Thursday 31st   Willie took the mutton out in the morning.  It was very rough weather and it rained most of the afternoon.