May 1916

Monday 1st   It was a fine day.  Pheasant shooting commenced to day and shots were heard all round the place.   I got firewood and worked in the garden.  Went down for the mail in the afternoon.
Mrs Rogers was here to get her pension paper fixed up and I gave her some flower plants.

Tuesday 2nd   It was a fine day.   I got firewood and picked in a lot of seed beans in the farm orchard.  In the afternoon I went down to Dunning’s beach to get some sand.

Wednesday 3rd   It was a fine day.  In the morning I got firewood, cut a lot of grass on the garden path.   In the afternoon I went down to the steamer, John Greenwood delivered the books that Mrs Handby gave to the Library, I made room for them on the book shelves, I carried up a bag of sand.

Thursday 4th   It was a fine day. Grace went to Ti Point in the morning returning in the afternoon.
In the morning I went down to the Library to catalogue and number the books that Mrs Handby presented.  In the evening I went down for the mail & attended the Library.
A circus was advertised to be here this evening and a lot of people gathered but for some cause unknown it did not come, so the young people were disappointed.
Jane and the children came over for it, so they came up here with me and staid the night.

Friday 5th   It was a fine day. May Dunning called here in the morning for Jane and they went out for the day calling on Mrs Glass & Mrs A.L. Greenwood.  Jane called here on her way to Mrs Dunnings where she & the children were going to stay the night.   Mrs J. C. Wyatt was here in the pm & I gave her some small flower plants.
I went down to the steamer & carried up some sand.

Saturday 6th   It was a fine day. In the morning I was working in the garden, I planted a clump of Gladioli (Mrs Handby’s) took up and replanted a Canna (pink & yellow) also planted 12 young pansy plants.
In the afternoon Grace & I drove over to the Claim.   I went to Jim’s place and staid the night. Grace returned home, called at Ti Point for Mrs Simpson, but she had returned to our place (walking) before Grace got to Harold’s.

Sunday 7th   It was a beautiful day.  In the morning I started to walk to Mr Whitaker’s, but meeting Mr Sadler I learnt that the Whitakers were all out, so I returned to Jim’s.
In the afternoon all of us went to service in the Hall, Revd  Boyle officiated, there was only a small congregation.  It poured with rain in the evening.

Monday 8th   The wind has changed to the SW and it was a beautiful day.  I returned home in the morning calling in at Harry Ashtons to see Joe and Emily.

Tuesday 9th   It was a fine day.  I got firewood and went down to the village to get the mail that came late last night.

Wednesday 10th   It came on to rain in the afternoon and blowing hard from the SE.   Willie came home after the dinner hour on account of the weather.  The Steamer did not come.  I was laid up with a bad cold & sore throat so I did not get up until the afternoon.

Thursday 11th   A very wet day, and the wind blowing a gale from the SE.
Willie did not go to work. I did not get up until the afternoon.

Friday 19th   It was a fine day.  I drove over to the Claim in the afternoon to bring Jane & Jean over to Leigh to be present at a Social in the Hall in the evening to provide funds to send comforts to the Omaha boys who are fighting at the front.  All of us went.  There was a large gathering and it was very enjoyable.  Mr Maunder brought his Gramaphone and gave patriotic items and others between the dances.  There were also songs, recitations & piano duets about £6 was taken.

Saturday 20th   It was a fine day.  I drove Jane & children home in the morning, had lunch there and returned home in the afternoon.
I brought some sand from Bond’s beach.

The reason I have not been Keeping my Diary lately is that I have being busy making a new Catalogue of Books belonging to the Library.