February 1921

Tuesday 1st   It was a very fine day.  I went up to the garden after breakfast, and later on I went down for the mail, went to the wharf and bathed my leg in the salt water.  In the afternoon I cut docks in the orchard.

Wednesday 2nd   It was a fine day, but the wind is from the east.  I went in the cream cart to pay a flying visit to Jim and Jane.  I took a bag of Apples, a few Pears and 6 Lemons.  I had lunch there and then Jim took me in his boat to the top wharf and I came round here in the steamer as she made a round trip today.

Thursday 3rd   It was a fine day, wind E.   I was working up in the garden, sowed a row of Silver Beet.
Mrs Captain Roddy Matheson, her two girls and Mrs Archie Dunning were here for dinner.

Friday 4th   It was a very hot day.  I went up to the garden in the morning, occupied in watering & mulching Asters & Zinnias.
In the afternoon I went down to meet the steamer, thought she would bring the mail, but she brought none, it all came by overland. Eddie was drilling the Territorials.

Saturday 5th   It was a very hot day, but there was a nice breeze blowing.  I did not go up to the garden, but remained at home resting my legs.
In the afternoon I went down to witness a Tennis match at this court between Pakiri & Warkworth.  Warkworth won, Pakiri only winning one event.  There was a meeting in the Church at 3 pm of church people.
Omaha cricketers went to Warkworth to play a Warkworth team , Omaha won.

Sunday 6th   It was a very fine day.  I attended the Presbyterian service (Revd Poole) in the morning, returned home for dinner and in the afternoon I went to call on Mr Hewett,  I overtook Mr Grigg & his son Eddie, they were going there so we went together, I had met the daughter before, but I had not met Mr Hewett, he seems a very nice man.

Monday 7th   It was a fine day, but windy.  I was working at the garden, cut grass on the paths. Picked some Homestead beans (first time).  Jim hauled the timber of the cottage up to this place.

Tuesday 8th   It rained during the night and during the day, a great deal of rain has fallen.  I did not do any work outside, but wrote a letter to Mr Wallace.

Wednesday 9th   It was a fine day.  John Greenwood called with the sulky and drove me to Warkworth to attend a meeting of the Vestry. The roads were very heavy which made it hard work for the horse, we arrived at Warkworth at 11 am, called at several places and dined at Bridge House.  The meeting was held at the Vicarage.  There were present , the Vicar (Revd Hawksworth), Messrs Pickering & Beresford,  John G  &  I
We started for home at 4.45 and arrived here at 7.45 pm.  During my absence Ivy had given birth to a son, both are doing well.

Thursday 10th   It was a fine day.  Jim is ploughing the piece of ground that was in wheat, he started it yesterday.  I was working up in the garden.  Mr Beasley who is staying down at the beach came with J. C. W to see my garden.  He is a professional gardener.

Friday 11th   It was a fine day, I was working up at the garden.  I liquid manured the Dahlias, Asters & Zinnias, picked in seed of Stratagem peas, and cut grass on the paths.  Went down for the mail in the evening, I received back my watch from Warkworth, it has been away 4 months.

Saturday 12th   It was rather showery in the morning, but it cleared up in the afternoon, ‘tho the wind was blowing strong from the E.
Eddie went to Auckland in the “Kawau“, he would have a rough passage, he was going into camp at Narrow Neck, North Shore for training preparatory for promotion.  Jim went to Warkworth Show.
I went down to the village in the morning to send my bank book away to have the interest added, called at Gravatts, also at A. L. Greenwoods to change Library books.  In the afternoon I took some beans, tomatoes & apples up to Mr Griggs.

Sunday 13th   It was a fine day.  I got up at 5.30 am, dressed and got a snack of something to eat and then walked over to Jim’s place, they had milked the cows, and I was just in time for breakfast.   I n the afternoon Jim drove Jane & I over to Matakana to attend service at the Anglican Church, Revd Hawksworth officiated, there were only 17 present, on our way back we called in at Whitaker Bros orchard and had a feed of pears.  I staid all night at Jims.

Monday 14th   It was fine in the am, there were a few showers in the afternoon.  I left Jim’s after breakfast and walked to the cream cart and Gus Neeley gave me a lift to Leigh.  Jim rode to Warkworth to get some teeth out,  J. C. Wyatt went to Helensville as a delegate to the Farmers Union meeting,  I went up to the garden in the pm and Beasley came up to have a look round.

Tuesday 15th   It was a fine day, wind E.  After breakfast I took Mrs Dunning some beans , went up to the garden in the afternoon.  Jim took the reaper to Arthur Wilsons in the afternoon, returned in the evening.  Received a Cheque for £32  from the Manager of the Union Bank at Te Araroa on account of Jack & Henry being Half a year’s interest on £1000 lent to 31st May 1921.

Wednesday 16th   It was a fine day.  After breakfast I took a box of Tomatoes to Gus Neeley to send over to Jane.
Mr & Mrs Beasley were picking blackberries on the farm.  I showed them over the garden and house ,  In the afternoon I went down to meet the steamer & to get the mail, Eddie returned from Auckland in her,  J. C. Wyatt returned from Helensville.

Thursday 17th   It was a very fine day.  Jim started to plough up the oat paddock, I went up to the garden in the morning & started to dig in the manure in the bed I formed near the seed onions.
In the afternoon I went down to the village lodged a draft for
£32 . 10 . 0   in the P.O. Bank.  Got a bag of sand, carried it across to the wharf & J. C. W  carted it up for me.
Mr & Mrs Beasley returned to Auckland in the “Kawau“.  I went to see the steamer off.

Friday 18th   It was a very fine day.  Jim finished ploughing the oat paddock.  Eddie & J. C. W  were clearing on the farm,  I was working up at the garden all day.  I finished digging in the manure in the bed near the seed onions.  Took out the sticks of the 2 rows of Stratagem peas.  Went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 19th   It was a very fine day.  I went up to the garden in the morning & and bundled up the pea sticks I took out yesterday, Eddie Grigg came up to have a look round, I gave him some fallen apples, pears & peaches.  The Show Committee were fixing up the sheep pens and the tables in the Hall, I went down in the pm to have a look.

Saturday 20th   [sic: Sunday]   It was a fine day.  After breakfast I went down to the village to put flowers in the church.  Revd Hawksworth held service in the Church in the afternoon,  Mr Allot of Warkworth [brought ]  him,  Mrs H & her daughter over in his car, there were 30 present. Collection 14/7,  I went up to tea at Mr Griggs, we sang hymns in the evening.  Mr & Mrs W. Dunning came in.

Monday 21st   It was a fine day.  The people here were getting ready the exhibits for the Show.
Jim took the reaper & binder up the hill to cut some wheat for Dan Kempt, when he brought it home in the afternoon he took it up to Collingwood & stored it in the sulky shed.  I took some beans down to Mrs Dunning & borrowed some preserving jars to put my collection of flowers in.

Tuesday 22nd   It was a fine day.  All of us were getting exhibits ready for the Show tomorrow.  In the pm and evening I took some vegetables & three loads of flowers down to the hall & in the evening I commenced to put out my collection.

Wednesday 23rd   It commenced to rain at 2.30 am and continued until 7.30 am, it cleared up then with the exception of one or two showers.  I finished putting in my collection of flowers.
The Show Committee gave me a complimentary ticket and entertained me at dinner & tea at the Hotel.  The “Daphne“arrived from Auckland bringing about 60 passengers including a concert company and judges,  Willie & Grace came up for the day.  The show about on a par with previous shows, but the fruit and vegetables were rather weak, the ladies however came to the fore and the exhibits of bread cookery & jams & jellies were numerous & good.
I got 1st Prize for Collection of Flowers and 2nd for Cabbages. There was a very good concert in the evening brought from Auckland by Mr T. Harris.    Mr Mander M. P. gave a short speech.

Thursday 24th   It was a fine day.  The committee were clearing away down at the hall.  I went down to get a few things that I had left there.  I commenced to dig the piece of ground that was in Stratagem peas.

Friday 25th   It was a fine day.  Eddie went to parade at Matakana,  I continued digging what I started yesterday .  Went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 26th   It was a fine day,  ‘tho cloudy.  There was a Tennis match at Matakana between Leigh and Warkworth clubs.  J. C. Wyatt drove me over,  I went to call on Mr & Mrs R. Williams who have bought land and built a beautiful new house.  Robert showed me through the house and place and I had dinner,  Afterwards I went to watch tennis.  Warkworth won the match by one game.

Sunday 27th   It was a very fine day.  I conducted service in the church in the afternoon.  There were 20 present, Collection 8/6.

Monday 28th   It was a very hot day.  Eddie drove Jessie to Warkworth to get some teeth extracted.  Jim was carting metal on to the road from the Koeroa quarry.  After breakfast I took some Tomatoes down to Gus Neeley who drives the cream cart.  Afterwards I was working in my garden.  In the afternoon it was hot so I shelled the seed Stratagem peas on the back veranda.
Mr Grigg (Teacher).  Willena & Hazel Grigg called in the evening.