December 1919

Monday 1st   It was a fine day.  I went across to Auckland in the morning, went to Hays nursery and bought some Dahlia & other plants then went to Clonburn road to call on the Hedges, only Mrs H was at home she made me a cup of tea and then I went to Newton to call on the James Greenwoods ,  Jim & I went to call on the Revd Latter but found no one at home.

Tuesday 2nd   It was a fine day, but very windy.  I went across to Auckland in the morning & heard that it was uncertain whether the “Kawau” would leave tomorrow morning as the crew are likely to strike.  Returned to Devonport for lunch and in the afternoon I packed my bag & took it across to Auckland & left it at Northern Co’s office thinking that the “Kawau” was going to leave tomorrow morning at 8 am, but heard that she was not going to leave until
3 pm,  returned to Devonport.  Mr McMurtrie came in the evening & we played 500.

Wednesday 3rd   It was a fine day, but strong wind blowing from
the S.   Bid good bye to my friends (Mr & Mrs Wallace) and family after lunch and went over to Auckland and embarked on the “Kawau” to return to Leigh.  There were several of my neighbours on board returning from the show, the steamer rolled a bit which gave me a bit of a head ache, we did not leave Auckland until 3.40 and arrived at Leigh at 9 pm taking 5 hours & 20 minutes.  Willie met me at the wharf with the sulky.

Thursday 4th   It was a fine day & calm.  I went down to the steamer before 8 am to take Captn Olsen a bunch of flowers.  When I returned I was working in the flower garden , I planted 3 Dahlias that I brought from Auckland, also 2 Dwarf  Calceolarias & 2 Bronze De.  I went down for the mail in the evening.
Willie & Grace drove over to Ti Point & brought Mrs Simpson back for the Tennis Fancy Dress Ball tomorrow night.

Friday 5th   It was a very hot day.  I was working in the flower garden all day.  I planted 6 Ageratums,  1 Misambrianthum,  1 Alstromeria
&  1  Lilac.
The Tennis Club got up a Fancy Dress Ball in the Hall all of us went, it was a great success.

Saturday 6th   It was a very fine day.  There were two Tennis Matches on these courts today, between Leigh X Warkworth  &  Leigh V Hakaru.  Willie & I went in the morning to see the start & Grace & Mrs Simpson came down in the afternoon , a great many people were present to witness it.  Willie & I had our lunch with the others in the Hall.
They had a dance in the evening, but we did not go.

Sunday 7th   It was a fine day.  I conducted service in the Church in the afternoon, there were 19 present and the collection 8/2.
After church Willie, Grace & Mrs Simpson went to Mrs Gozers
&  J. C. Wyatts.

Monday 8th   There was slight misty rain in the morning, but otherwise it was a fine day.  I was planting Dahlias near the summer house.  Willie was cutting tea tree poles for a stack foundation for the wheat.  Mrs D. Matheson called in the afternoon & I gave her some plants.  Grace & Mrs Simpson went to Horace’s place to help him paper a room.  I went to Mr A. Dunnings in the evening & we played Five Hundred.

Tuesday 9th   It was a very fine day.  I dug up the ground between the cabbages, started to dig up the Daffodil bulbs.  Willie hauled the tea tree poles out for the stack frame, afterwards carted up two loads of second hand cases from the wharf.
Mrs Knowles & Horace came in the evening.

Wednesday 10th   It was a very fine day.  I was taking up the Daffodil bulbs.  Went down to the steamer in the afternoon.  Tom Ashton was cutting Wyatt Bros Oats.

Thursday 11th   It was a very fine day.  No sign of rain which is much needed.  After breakfast Willie took his box of Eggs down to the wharf, I went with him and gathered up 2 bags of gravel which Willie carted up for me.
I finished taking up the Daffodil bulbs.  Went down for the mail in the evening.

Friday 12th   It was a fine day, but the wind is from  NW  and it looks like a change.  Willie was hauling out wood for his kiln.
I wrote to Lily (Jacks wife) and made up a parcel to send to her.  The Omaha Bible Class held their annual picnic on Mrs R. Mathesons beach, the children indulged in games and were supplied with tea, the prize giving was in the Hall in the evening.  Horace dressed up as Santa Claus or Father Christmas, & distributed lollies from a Xmas tree .  All of us went in the evening.

Saturday 13th   There was a light rain all day, it was very welcome and will do a lot of good, but not enough to sink deep in the ground.
After breakfast I went down to the village to post a letter to Lily also a parcel to her – containing a few little things I picked up at the Bazaar.  I was not able to do anything outside.  Willie went down to the wharf in the pm & brought home some fish.

Sunday 14th   It was a very fine day.  Revd Gould held service  in the Hall in the morning.  Grace & Mrs Simpson went, Horace came home with them for dinner, in the afternoon they drove over to the Claim to see Jane.
I rode up the hill to spend the day at John Greenwoods ,  Johny & Willie had driven down to church, but returned for dinner,  Johny showed me a lot of Photo’s of France, Germany and  York,  places he had visited when on active service during the late war.
I spent a very pleasant day with my old friends.

Monday 15th   It was a fine day.  Eddie Wyatt came up in the morning to get Willie to cut danthonia seed with him, so Willie was away all day.  I was working in the flower garden all day.  I planted out a Cosma also 5 Single Dahlias & 3 Petunias.

Tuesday 16th   It was a very hot day.  Willie was cutting danthonia with Eddie Wyatt.  I planted out a Miniture Sunflower and 3 clumps of Acrolinium.  Horace came in the evening & we played Five Hundred.  I put all my Daffodil bulbs into paper bags &c and stored them in the summer house.

Wednesday 17th   It was a very fine day.  Willie was cutting grass seed for Eddie Wyatt.  Late in the afternoon he took the cart down to the wharf and carted up two loads of fowl feed.  It was very hot & I was not able to do much outside.
The General Election was held today for the election of members to the House of Representatives & also for Licensing.  All in this house recorded their votes.

Thursday 18th   The wind is from the N and it is threatening for rain and we had a slight shower in the afternoon.
I went over to the Claim in the morning in the cream waggon, I took Jane some Peas & 2 Cabbages, Jim was away at work, I had dinner & afternoon tea there and walked home in the evening.  I heard that Sir Joseph Ward was defeated,  that Mr Massey was returned with a good majority of supporters and that Prohibition was carried.
When I returned home I found Mrs Reese and Mrs W. Harper here having tea,  I gave them some flowers to take home.
Mr Archie Dunning came to borrow some plates for the Ball tomorrow night, I gave him 2 Cabbages.  There was an entertainment in the Hall in the evening  (The Jubilee Bell ringers) Willie & Grace went.

Friday 19th   It rained steadily last night, was showery today.  I went down to meet the steamer at 1 pm, the Captain gave me a paper with an account of the Election in,  I got the mail.  I also went down to the village at 6 pm to get the overland mail.  In the evening the returned soldiers gave a grand return Ball in this Hall to residents of Leigh & surrounding districts.  Willie had a bad cold so did not go, but Mrs Simpson, Grace & I went and enjoyed ourselves very much,
I played 500.

Saturday 20th   It was a fine day, but windy.  Willie was cutting danthonia for Wyatts.  Grace went down to the Hall to clear up.
I was very tired as I had very little sleep so did not do much.

Sunday 21st   It was a fine day.  I attended the Methodist service in the afternoon and afterwards went up to Arthur Greenwoods  where I had tea.

Monday 22nd   It was a very fine day, but very windy.  Willie was cutting danthonia at Tom Ashtons.  We were up early and I took a bunch of flowers down to the Captain the “Kawau” left Auckland at midnight last night and made the round trip leaving here at 8 this morning.  I got the mail.  I was not feeling very well so did not do much.  Got sticks and tied up the Tomatoes.

Tuesday 23rd   It was fine in the morning and showery in the afternoon.  Willie was cutting danthonia at Tom Ashtons & he came home in the evening very wet.
I transplanted 3 Antirrhinums & 4 Penstenons

Wednesday 24th   Christmas Eve.   It was a fine day.  Willie was cutting Danthonia at Tom Ashtons.  I went down to the village in the morning to post some Xmas cards, took Mrs A. Dunning a Cauliflower & Cabbage and Mrs McKinnon a Cabbage.  In the afternoon I took some peas to Mrs Harper which I sold for 3/-

Thursday 25th   Christmas Day.  The weather was fine.  We spent the day at home.  Horace came for dinner, we had a duck, ham, peas, cauliflower, potatoes & plum pudding .  Horace went home to milk in the afternoon & came back for tea and all of us went to the Christmas service which I conducted at 8 pm.  37 present, 18/- collection.

Friday 26th   Boxing Day.   It was a fine day.  I went as far as Ti Point road in the cream cart.  Willie, Grace, Mrs Simpson, & Raymond drove in the sulky as far as the Ti Point road and then Mrs Simpson got out and walked up to Harold Torkingtons to spend the day & I got into the sulky and we drove to Matakana to spend the day at Mr John Cames where we received a hearty welcome.  After dinner Mr Came showed Willie & I round the farm, everything is kept in beautiful order, and the out buildings are well constructed & kept well painted.  We spent a very pleasant day.  We got home a little before dark – Mrs Simpson had returned  before us.  There had been a Tennis Tournament on this Leigh courts, a number of people had attended.

Saturday 27th   It was a very fine day.  Willie was cutting danthonia on this place.  In the afternoon he went fishing at Goat Island beach and brought home some rock cods.
I planted 5 Dahlia roots, tidying up the garden.
Alma Torkington was here for tea.
There was a dance in the Hall in the evening.  Willie, Grace & Mrs Simpson went.

Sunday 28th   It was a very fine day.  Horace & Arthur Torkington were here for dinner.  Revd Macdonald held service in the Church in the afternoon I was the only one from this house that attended, there were 24 present.  Collection 14/6.

Monday 29th   It rained steadily last night and early this morning, but it cleared up afterwards, although the rain does not seem to be all over.  The wind is SE.
The “Kawau” left Auckland at 3 am this morning and went into Big Omaha first and arrived here afterwards, Mrs Hedges, her son Lyndon and Miss Holier (Horace’s intended) came up by her,  also Keith Entwisle to stay with us.
The rain has sunk deep into my garden and freshened everything up.
In the afternoon I went to Arthur Greenwoods and got the keys of the Library and changed my books.

Tuesday 30th   There was a lot of rain last night which has sunk deep into the ground and has freshened up everything.  I was working in the garden all day.  I transplanted Red Beet, sowed a short row of Lettuce and sowed a row of Canadian Wonder Beans.
The “Kawau” arrived from Auckland at 8 pm , George Davey & Gertie came up by [her].  Willie took the sulky down to meet them as they were coming to stay with us.

Wednesday 31st   It was a very fine day.  Willie was weeding his Onions.
I transplanted a bronze Calcolatacia  [?]  a Petunia and 2 Antirrhinums, also sowed another row of Canadian Wonder Beans.
Mrs Hedges, Horace & his intended Miss Hollier came in the afternoon and staid for tea.