August 1928

Wednesday 1st   It was a very fine day.  It was a treat to get fine weather after all the rain we got last month.

Thursday 2nd   It was very fine in the morning.  I was weeding the onions.  It was showery in the afternoon.

Friday 3rd   It was a very fine day, but a cold wind was blowing.
I was weeding onions.  Hector was working at Evans transplanting fruit trees.  Jean went to W. Dunning to go with them to a Plunket dance at Warkworth.

Saturday 4th   It was a very fine day.  I was weeding the onions.  There was a hockey match Kaipara Flats  V  Omaha at the former place.  Hector went with Murray Birdsall.  Kaipara Flats won 6 – 1
In the evening all but me went to Pats to hear a load speaker wireless.

Sunday 5th  It was a very fine day.  I went down for tea at Pats and afterwards heard the wireless, first was an address to school children by the Revd  L.  Fletcher, and afterwards a service in St Pauls church in Auckland, the preacher being a Maori Revd  Parapa.  Hector brought  the larthorn  [sic: lantern] down to see me home.

Monday 6th   It was a fine day.  Jim went to a Dairy Factory meeting  in Harry Ashton’s car.  Jane went to spend the day at Evans’.
In the evening Jim, Jane & Jean went down to Pats to hear the wireless.

Tuesday 7th   It was a fine day, sunless and a cold wind blowing.  Hector was working at Evans’.  I did a little in the garden .

Wednesday 8th   It was a very fine day.  Hector was working at Evans.  I sowed a row of Stratagem Peas next to the seed onions.

Thursday 9th   It was a very fine day.  Hector was working at Evans.  I sowed another row of Peas.
continued.    There was Community Singing in the hall in the evening in aid of the local Bowling club.  There was a great crowd.  All from here went except Mildred and me.

Friday 10th   There was a frost last night and it was very cold this morning, but it was a calm sunshiney day.  Hector was working at Evans’.  Jim and Jean went with T. Ashton to Warkworth.  Jane went to the shop in the morning and she and Dolly went to Whitakers in the pm.
I planted out 10 Cabbage plants.

Saturday 11th   A frost again this morning .  It was a very fine day and calm.  I sowed seeds of Enfield Market Cabbage and Tomatoes (Fillbasket & Burwood Prize).  Mrs Wallace & Alma called in the afternoon, the menfolk were working at the bowling green.  Jim, Jean, Jane & Hector went to Matakana in the evening in T. Ashton’s buss to see the pictures of expidition against Te Kooti.  The hall was packed although the charge for admittance was 2/-s .

Sunday 12th   It was a fine day, but there was a slight shower in the late afternoon.  Mr E. Roke (Methodist) held service in the pm, Jane,  Jean,  Hector & Mildred attended.  I staid at home all day reading.

Monday 13th   It was a fine day.  Hector was working at Evans.  It seems we have come to the end of the fine weather so I did not dig any ground.

Tuesday 14th   It was a regular wet day.  None of us were able to do anything outside.  It cleared up a little in the afternoon and I went up into the garden and hunted slugs.

Wednesday 15th   It was a showery day.   My 85th birthday.  Jane & Jim gave me a pjarma suit,  Hector gave me a Writing Pad,  Jean a cake of scented soap and dear little Mildred gave me a comb.  Minnie and Agnes walked across the beach from Ti Point, they staid for dinner and then went in the service car to Leigh to meet Joe who was coming up from Auckland in the steamer.   Arthur Torkington (Joe’s brother) died at Johannasburg South Africa some time ago.  His remains were creamated and his widow brought them to Leigh with Joe to be buried in his father’s grave at Whangateau cemetery.
Several people congratulated me through the phone.  Mr & Mrs A. Dunning sent me a nice card.

Thursday 16th   It was a very showery day.  The men were only able to milk the cows and get firewood.

Friday 17th   It was fine in the morning, but it was showery in the afternoon.  Jim,  Jane & Jean went to Warkworth in Harry Ashton’s car, the men folk wanted to go to the stock sale, Mildred was at school so that Hector and I were alone.  By the evening mail I received a birthday gift of 2 pairs of socks from Willie & Grace

Saturday 18th   It was fairly a fine day, there were a few showers. Mabel came home by train so Harry went to Kaipara Flats in his car to meet her, so Jane and Mildred made the trip with Harry .

Sunday 19th   There were a few showers, otherwise a fine day.  In the afternoon I went to Harry Ashtons,  Mrs Handby has been keeping house for Harry while Mabel was away, but it leaving tomorrow.

Monday 20th   It was a fine day.  The school holidays commenced today so Mildred was home.  Hector was hauling up drain tiles and posts.  Jim started put in the drain the top side of the house.

Tuesday 21st   It was a fine day

Wednesday 22nd   It was a very fine day.  Jane walked to Wallaces and came back with Pat in the lorry.  I was digging in the garden , the ground is drying up

Thursday 23rd   It was a very fine day.  Jim was erecting a fence in front of the house.  I was digging between the peas and the eschallots.  Hector & Jean went to a dance at Leigh in the evening.

Friday 24th   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I was digging where I started yesterday.  In the afternoon Jane & I started to plant Potatoes the lower side of my onion beds.  The rows 2 ft 6 in apart
B & B manure & ashes in the trenches.  Jim was putting in post for fencing in the house [?]

Saturday 25th   It was a fine day.  I finished digging the piece of ground I started on Thursday.  There was a Football match played at the Domain in the afternoon.  Warkworth  V  Omaha,  the latter won.

Sunday 26th   A showery day.  Revd Yule held service in the morning, there was a large congregation, I attended.    Mr & Mrs Wallace, Laurence,  Alma,  2 of Tom Ashton’s girls & Charlie Ashton were here for dinner, 13 of us – however Jane had plenty cooked.  Revd Hart held service in the afternoon, the Wallaces & Whitakers went with us.  There were about 30 present,  Collection 18/6.  Revd Hart came up here for tea.  It rained heavily in the evening.

Monday 27th   It did not rain during the day, the weather was dull and threatening, but it rained in the late afternoon ,  I went down to Pats in the morning to take the milk as they have no cows milking.  I borrowed some papers.  Jim put in some more drain pipes, and put down cement at the back door.

Tuesday 28th   It rained in the morning, but was fine in the afternoon.

Wednesday 29th   It was a fine day,  Mr Wallace and Alma came to spend the day.  Willie sent me some Cabbage & Cauliflower plants by the mail.  Jim was putting the wire on the fence , Hector hauled a lot of firewood.

Thursday 30th   It was a very fine day.  I planted a few Cauliflower plants, also dug a strip for Cabbages.  Harry Ashton & Mabel were going in their car to Warkworth to get it fixed up, so Jane & I went with them and spent a very pleasant day.  I went to see Mr Moore at the Library, he showed me all the books that Mrs Lushinton  had presented,  went to the vicarage to call on Mr & Mrs Hard, he showed me round the cemetery, had pm tea there.  We reached home a little before 5 pm.

Friday 31st   It was a fine day.  I planted a row of Cauliflower plants that Willie sent me.  Hector started to make a gate.

The rainfall for August as recorded by the Postmaster at Warkworth totalled 4.16 inches against 7.71 inches during August 1927