February 1924

Friday 1st   It was a very hot day.  In the afternoon I went round to Arthur Wilsons to receive instruction for making the Will of Mrs Addison who is staying there since her husbands death.  Soon after I returned home there was an alarm of fire, smoke & flames were seen issuing through the roof of Jack Walden’s store, several neighbours who saw it rushed to the scene, fortunately it was high tide, and the store being built on piles over the water there was plenty of water, and a bucket brigade soon got the fire under control and a spray pump completely put the fire out, but not before it had done great damage, it started & was confined to the grain store, the walls & roof were badly charred although the fire had not entered the general store yet smoke & water had considerably injured several lines.  I hear that the policy of insurance had run out about a week so that Jack will be a heavy loser.

Saturday 2nd   It was a beautiful day, a nice breeze was blowing so that it was nice and cool.  There was a cricket match at the Domain when Whangaripo met Omaha for the possession of the cup.  The ladies assisted in entertaining the cricketers.  Omaha batted first and made 168 runs,  the double numbers were A. R. Dunning 118,
A. E. Grigg 11.  Whangaripo 1st innings made 59 runs.  Double figures  W. Armour 17,  S. Came 11.
Whangaripo 2nd innings made 58 runs,  double figures N. Vipond 17
W. Came 12
Thus Omaha beat in one innings and 51 runs.

Sunday 3rd   It was a very fine day.  I made a report of Jack’s fire also the cricket match yesterday for the Rodney Times and sent it to Warkworth by Revd Poole who was returning from Leigh where he had conducted his last service.
Went to Evans in the evening to borrow a paper.

Monday 4th   It was a very hot day.  I went to Wilsons in the afternoon with Mrs Addisons will for her to sign which was witnessed by Mrs Wilson & myself.

Tuesday 5th   It was a very fine day.  I went in the cream cart over to Leigh, went to the Post Office and got a postal in favour of Wilson & Horton for £1 . 15  for subscription a years Weekly News, also an order for £2 . 0 . 0 to send to Mr Ackland, collections at Mr Birss’ services.  Went in Ted Gravatt’s motor lorry to the top of the hill, went to Johny Greenwoods, had dinner there and then went on to Mrs John Greenwoods where I stayed the night.

Wednesday 6th   It was a very fine day.  After breakfast I walked down to Leigh, called at Mr Stewarts and then went to Eddie Wyatts. The boys were working at the saw mill, but Ivy gave me some dinner, Alf Dunning was working there picking lemons, after dinner I called at Mr Griggs & Gravatts and then went down to the wharf to meet Lilly,  Peter & Jean who came by the steamer,  I got on board the steamer and came round here with them.  Jim & Jane met us with the sulky at the top wharf.

Thursday 7th   It was a very hot day.  I went in the cream cart round to the store in the morning to make a few purchases .  In the afternoon Lily & I went round to the Post Office, borrowed a saw to cut the water pipe.

Friday 8th   It was a very fine day.  Jim drove Jane, Lily & the children round to the store in the morning.  I went for the mail in the afternoon.

Saturday 9th   It was a very hot day.  It was the Warkworth Show today.  Jim, Jane & Lily went to it Jack Walden’s car.  I staid at home with the children and did several odd jobs in the garden.

Sunday 10th   It was a very fine day.  It is some time since we had rain and the ground is very dry and the crops in the garden are feeling the want of it.  In the morning Lily & the children went down to the beach to have a bathe.  Revd Addenbrooke held service in the hall in the evening.  Jane,  Lily,  Jean, & I attended.  There were only 8 present.

Monday 11th   It was a very hot day.  Jim was working on the road in the morning.  Lewis Meiklejohn was burning his tea tree in the pm, so Jim was watching so that his fence was not burned.  Jane,  Lily, Peter & Mildred went to Whitakers in the afternoon.  In the evening I took Dolly some Homestead beans.

Tuesday 12th   It was a fine day, but there are indications that we are going to have a change of weather.  Jim was working on the road,  I was shelling beans.  Jean brought home from the mail the first installment of the Auckland Weekly News that Jim & I have sent an annual subscription for,  this first number is dated February 7th 1924.

Wednesday 13th   It rained in the morning, but no quantity to do much good .  Fine in the afternoon  and evening, could not do much outside, I shelled a lot of beans

Thursday 14th   It was a fine day.  Jane,  Mildred,  Lily & Peter went to spend the day with Mrs Guy Ashton and the afternoon with Mrs Evans.  Jim drove round to the shop to take the eggs , and then he drove over to Leigh.
I was the only one at home, I carried water up to the garden .  In the evening I took my library books to get Pat to change them.

Friday 15th   It rained when we got up and during the morning.  Jane & Lily went to spend the afternoon with Mabel at the Post Office and they brought home the mail in the evening.

Saturday 16th   It was a very hot day.  There was a cricket match at Mahurangi Heads, on Mrs McElroy’s farm between the local club & Omaha.  Jim & Pat went over, Omaha won.

Sunday 17th   It was fine in the morning, dull in the afternoon, and slight misty rain in the evening.  Revd Poole held his last service in the hall in the morning, all of us went.  Lily & Peter went to stay at Ti Point, Joe & Minnie came in a boat for them in the pm.

Monday 18th   It rained heavily last night and early this morning, so that the ground is well soaked.  After it left off raining it blew very strong, so although the day was fine the wind was very disagreeable. Jane went to Evans’ in the afternoon to make a new dress.  Jim went to a Domain board meeting in the evening.

Tuesday 19th   It was a fine day.  Jim was working on the road.  Mrs C. Dunning and her daughter Kathleen were here for dinner and Maud Wyatt dropped in .  I went down to get the meat & Bob brought the mail along from the P. O .  Jane went to Evans’ in the afternoon.

Wednesday 20th   Although threatening it turned out a fine day.  I shelled beans & cleaned onion seed.

Thursday 21st   It was fine in the morning, but it soon changed as it turned out a regular wet day, it poured with rain,  the tank was soon full and running over, it did not entirely stop until the moon rose at night & cleared it away.

Friday 22nd   Everything was very wet with the rain we had yesterday which will do a lot of good.  The wind has changed to the S and it turned out a very fine day.  Mrs Addison sent for me to go and fix up her pension application so I went to Mr A. Wilsons where she is living and fixed it up for he.  Went for the mail in the afternoon.

Saturday 23rd   When we got up in the morning it was raining, and it continued for some time, it afterwards cleared up, but it rained again in the evening, the weather was unfortunate for the Waiwera Show which is held today. also the cricket match at Whangarei where Rodney is playing.  I could not do anything out of doors.

Sunday 24th   It was fine during the morning, there was a shower in the afternoon.  Mr & Mrs Stewart drove over from Leigh in the afternoon and staid tea.  Pat, Dolly & Jack Walden were also here for tea, here as it was Jim’s birthday & Jane had made an iced birthday cake, it rained as the guests were going away in the evening.

Monday 25th   It was a fine day.  I started to trench the piece of ground next to the onions that was in beans.

 Tuesday 26th   It was a very fine day.  I finished trenching the piece of ground.  Mabel, Bella Mills & Mrs Guy Ashton were here for dinner & Mrs Evans was here in the pm.

Wednesday 27th   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I went to Mr A. Wilsons to witness Mrs Addisons signature to her will which was drawn up by the Public Trust Office as they thought the one I made was not quite satisfactory.  Jim & Pat were erection the booth at Leigh to be used at the show next Saturday by Jack Walden.  Jane was busy making cakes for the show.

Thursday 28th   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I sowed a row of Silver Beet & a row of Garden Swede where the latter were eaten by the fly.  In the afternoon I went round to Whitakers, they gave me some apples & grapes & lent me some books.

Friday 29th   It was a fine day.  Jim & I were busy getting exhibits ready for the Omaha show tomorrow.  In the evening Jim & I drove over to Leigh to enter our exhibits, after doing so I went up to Mr Griggs where I staid the night.