February 1928

Wednesday 1st   It was a very fine day.  No sign of rain which is very much wanted.
Jim was working with H Ashton.  Hector on the road.  I sowed a row of Canadian Wonder Beans next the scarlet runner beans.  Ellis & Mrs Dyer – old settlers at Pakiri but now of Whangarei – and Mr & Mrs Finlayson came here in the afternoon and staid tea and had a look at the garden.

Thursday 2nd   A very fine day.  Did nothing particular but water the crops.

Friday 3rd   It was a fine day.  We were all busy getting exhibits ready for the Leigh Show tomorrow.  Jim went in Whitakers car to Leigh in the evening to take our exhibits.

Saturday 4th   It was a very hot day.  We were all up early as Alf Dunning was coming in his car to take us to the Leigh Show, we arrived there about 9 oclock and commenced to put our exhibits out. I took 3,  2nd prizes for Largest Onions,  Dwarf Beans and Beans of any other variety.  Jim got prizes for best onions & rhubarb.  Jane & Jean also took prizes.  Mrs E. Brown had a marquee and supplied meals and refreshments.  I met a lot of old friends.  I returned home in Mr Wallaces car, and got my own tea, the others did not get home until after midnight.

Sunday 5th   It was a fine day.  It tried to rain, but very little fell here.  There was no church service to day.  Being tired after yesterday, we rested.

Monday 6th   A very fine day.  No sign of rain.  I wrote a report of the Leigh Show & posted it to day.  Hector was working on the road.  I changed my library book.

Tuesday 7th   It was a very fine day.  It was not so hot as a nice breeze was blowing.  Jim was working with H. Ashton.  Hector on the road.
I sowed a row of Canadian Wonder beans next the one I sowed last Wednesday.

Wednesday 8th   It tried to rain, but we got hardly any here.  Dolly and the children came to spend the day.  Jim was working at H. Ashtons.  In the afternoon I walked round to Whitakers where I always get a welcome. They lent me some books.

Thursday 9th   It was a very fine day.
Mrs Matthew Came of Whangaripo died and was buried at Matakana cemetery.  I went in Whitaker’s car.  I had known the Came family for over 50 years so I attended out of respect.  It was a very large funeral.  Revd Hart (Anglican) conducted the service.  We went down to Matakana so I paid my bill I owed Dr Whetter.

Friday 10th   It was a very hot day.  Jim, Jane & Jean sent their exhibits to the Matakana show by Mikanof’s lorry.

Saturday 11th   It was a very fine day.  Jim and Jane went to Matakana Show in Tom Ashton’s lorry.  The children and I staid at home, I made a drain to lead the water into my pool the top side of my garden.

Sunday 12th   It was a very fine day.  Revd Rouprecht held service in the morning.  Afterwards the Birdsall family and Jane entertained the parson to lunch in the domain.  Revd Hart (Anglican) held service in the afternoon, there were 40 present.  Collection 15/3 .  The parson was accompanied by his wife, Miss Duncan & Mrs Pulham Senr.  After the service Jane entertained the parson & his friends to tea in the domain.

Monday 13th   A very hot day.  Did not do much but water the garden.

Tuesday 14th   It was a very hot day.  I went down to Pats to change my Library books.  Jim and Jean went to Warkworth with Harry & Mabel in their car to a Sheep Sale.

Wednesday 15th   It was a very hot day.  Jim was working with Harry Ashton.  I received a photo of the 4 generations.

Thursday 16th   Friday 17th   Both very hot days,  I read and watered the garden.

Saturday 18th   It was a very fine day.  The Norther Wairoa Cricketers challenged Rodney for the possession of the Dargaville Shield which Rodney holds.  The match was played at Matakana.
Harry Ashton & Mabel  took Jim, Jane and me to see the match.
Rodney batted first and made 281 runs.  Chief scores  N. Vipond 69, Pat D  50,  Munford 38,  E. Wyatt 32,  E Campbell 25.
Wairoa batted next and made 70 runs, therefore Rodney still holds the shield.

Sunday 19th   It was a very fine, hot day.  I went down to Pats to take a book, also some beans.

Monday 20th   A very hot day.

Tuesday 21st   A very hot day.  Jim & Hector were cutting tea tree.

Wednesday 22nd   A very hot day.  I wrote a long letter to my nephew Elliot Clarke and Mildred will post it this morning

Thursday 23rd   A very hot day.  Threatening for rain.

Friday 24th   It was fine in the morning, but in the afternoon there was a large black cloud over Big Omaha and I thought it was raining there, and soon it commenced to rain here and it rained all afternoon and evening, so that the tank was filled and running over.
It was Jim’s birthday and Jean made him a nice iced birthday cake.  Ina came here and staid the night.

Saturday 25th   It rained heavily last night and continued raining this morning, but cleared up in the afternoon.  There was to have been a Cricket match here, Port Albert  V  Omaha, but on account of the weather it did not eventuate.  There was also to have been an Anglican picnic in the Domain, but that also had to be put off.

Sunday 26th   It was a fine day.  Mr Evans held service in the morning, Jane & Mildred went.  In the afternoon I went to Birdsalls and had an enjoyable time.  May Dunning and two of T. Ashton’s girls were here for dinner.

Monday 27th   It was a fine day.  Jim & Hector were getting and carting firewood.  I pulled up all the broad bean stalks.

Tuesday 28th   It blew hard last night and knocked my runner beans about, it did not rain to day, but was very windy.  I prepared the piece of ground that was in broad beans for trenching,  Hector got me some forked sticks and rods and we fixed up the stand for seed boxes.  Mrs Birdsall, Mrs Holder, Jessie & baby came in the pm.

Wednesday 29th   It was a very hot day, but cold mornings and evenings.  Jane went to spend the day with Alma at Big Omaha.
I started to trench the piece of ground that was in b, beans 15 in apart. burying the stalks and cow manure in trenches

The rainfall as registered at the P. O Warkworth for the month of February was 3.29 inches.  The heaviest fall was on the 24th when 1.85 inches was recorded.