July 1916

Saturday 1st   It turned out a fine day ‘tho it was very dull in the morning, there was a shower in the afternoon.
Willie was working at the crusher.
The “Kawau” did not go to Mangawai on account of the weather, she remained here all night and left here for Auckland at 10 am, Henry left by her, he is coming back again. I saw Henry off and then I got firewood.
Mr Maunder & his son Roy came for tea and gave us a lot of items on the gramaphone.

Sunday 2nd   It was fine in the morning.  Revd Boyle held service in the Hall in the morning, it took the form of a musical service for the late Mrs Dunning Senr.
Mr Glass presided at the organ and he played the Dead March after the service.  In the afternoon Willie & Grace drove to Mr Glass.
I went with them as far as the School, I called at Arthur Greenwoods &  Wm  Dunnings.

Monday 3rd   Willie went to work this morning at the quarry, but it came on to rain and it continued all morning so he had to come home again.  It cleared up late in the afternoon.  I went down for the mail at 5 pm.

Tuesday 4th   I went down to see the Steamer off.  She came from Mangawai, the Captain reports very rough weather outside.
I was cutting tea tree.

Wednesday 5th   It was a fine day.  Willie was at home, in the morning I was helping him cut tea tree on the farm.
In the afternoon Mr Baily, Mansfield Government Orchard Instructor, gave a Pruning Demonstration in Albert Wyatts orchard, he seemed to be well up in his subject, a good many settlers were present.
I got the mail afterwards.

Thursday 6th   Willie was working at the crusher.  In the evening I went down for the mail and attended the Library, there was a meeting of the Hall Committee, I resigned my offices of Secretary and Treasurer, Mr A. Matheson was appointed to the above offices  &  I paid over to him the sum of £24 belonging to the Hall.  Afterwards there was a meeting of the Library Committee, I resigned my office of Secretary, Treasurer & Librarian.  Mr W. Dunning was appointed to the above offices  &  I handed over to him the sum of £9 . 17 . 0 belonging to the Library.  I heard afterwards that Willie would not take the job on and had handed over the books and cash to Arthur Greenwood.

Friday 7th   It was a fine day.  Willie was working at the Crusher. There was a working Bee at the Church to put up the fence Messrs John  &  A. L. Greenwood,  W. Neeley  &  myself.   W. Harper & Jas Greenwood put in an appearance and worked well all day and by evening the fence was completed,  puriri posts 16 ft apart,  kauri pickets  4 ft apart  &  7  No. 7  Plain Gal Wire.    [Galvanised Wire]

Saturday 8th   It was a very fine day.  The wind is from the S and is drying up the roads nicely.
Willie was working at the crusher.
I went down to the village and raked up all the chips that were made yesterday while fencing the Church and I carried them up to the Hall for firewood.
Mr A. Dunning very kindly asked me in to dinner which was very acceptable.

Sunday 9th   It was a fine day.  Grace and Willie drove over to Ti Point to spend the day.  I went with them as far as the Ti Point School and then I walked on to Jim’s, he was in town, I had dinner with Jane and the children & walked home later in the afternoon.

Monday 10th   It was a fine day.   Willie was working at the crusher. In the morning I went down to the village to get an axe handle, called at Gravatts.  When I got home I put the handle into the axe.
I commenced to prune the roses.
In the evening there was a meeting of the Ratepayers Association, I attended, it was to try to get the road in the village metalled.  Henry came up in the steamer at 9.30 pm.  Willie took the Sulky down to the wharf and drove him home, he brought a dog with him.

Tuesday 11th    It was a fine day with the exception of a heavy shower in the morning.  Willie was working at the crusher.
Henry walked over to Ti Point to stay with Joe and Minnie.

Wednesday 12th   There were several heavy showers during the day.
Willie was working at the crusher.
I was pruning roses & sent cuttings of them to Mrs Jas Darrock & Mrs Eyton.
Took the sulky down to the wharf with a box of eggs in the afternoon.  Henry came round in the steamer so I drove him home. He went down in the evening to A. Dunnings.

Thursday 13th   It was as fine day.  Wind blowing from SE.   Sea getting up.
Willie was working at the crusher.  Henry rode our horse to Pakiri intending to stay at John Greenwoods to night.
I was pruning roses.  Prepared 14 varieties of cuttings and took them down to the p o  in the evening for John Greenwood.
Arthur Greenwood commenced his duties as Librarian to night.

Friday 14th    When we got up this morning it was raining & blowing a gale from SE.   A big sea outside.  Willie staid at home.   I was packing.
Henry returned from Pakiri in the evening bringing a Sheep dog with him that he bought at Mr Hoult’s.
In the evening Minnie, Harold, Flo’ & Mr Torkington gave us a surprise party,  Harold brought his phonograph and gave us a lot of items, they staid the night.

Saturday 15th   Wind still blowing a gale from the E.   Henry & I ought to have gone away to day, but there was no steamer on account of the weather.  Our guests from Ti Point returned home in the morning.  I went down to the village, I trimmed the lamps in the Church and filled up a hole with soil.
It came on to rain the afternoon.

Sunday 16th   It was a showery day and the wind still blowing strong from the E.   Henry rode over to Jane’s in the afternoon.   Revd Macdonald conducted service in the church in the evening, Willie & I went, the roads were very muddy.   24 present,   Collection 10/-

Monday 17th   It was a fine day, the wind has got round to the SW and the sea is calming down.
Willie was helping Mr Ashworth fix up the fence between the E R and his place.
Mrs A. Matheson and Annie came in the pm and staid the evening.
I dug out all the Dahlias and stored them under the house.
Henry did not return from Janes until the evening.

Tuesday 18th   It was a fine day.  Henry & I embarked on board the “Kawau” for Auckland, I am going back with Henry to Te Araroa on a visit, Jane, Willie, Grace and Mrs Simpson came to see us off.   We had a fine passage up.   I went across to the Shore to stay with my very good friends Mr & Mrs Wallace.  Henry went to board at Windomere in Scotia Place, Upper Queen St.

Wednesday 19th   It was a very fine day.  I went across to Auckland with Alma in the 9 am boat, I went down to see the “Kawau” which is leaving for Leigh this morning,  I saw Jim Dunning there.   Did what little business I had to do, dined at the Strand, went to consult Dr Lindsey in the afternoon, he said I was alright, returned to the Shore by the 4 pm boat.

Thursday 20th   It was a fine day.  Went over to Auckland in the morning.  Mr Wallace & I went to the pictures in the evening.

Friday 21st   It was a fine day.  I went across to Auckland by an early boat, called for Henry at his boarding house and we went out to Henderson by train, had lunch at the Falls boarding house, first called on Mrs Handby and then went to Joe Greenwoods, had a look around his orchard, had tea there and returned to Auckland by the 7 pm train.

Saturday 22nd   It was a fine day. I went over to Auckland in the morning.  In the morning I took the car out to Mt Eden to call on my friend Mr Grindrod, on my way back I went to Ponsonby and called at Mr Woods in Hepburn St, had tea there and returned to the shore in the evening.

Sunday 23rd    It was a fine day.  Mrs Wallace & I attended Trinity Church in the morning, it was a church parade of the Maori soldiers.
Ken, Tillie & Jim called in the pm & Henry called in the evening, he had just returned from Papakura.

Monday 24th   Several showers during the day.  I went across to Auckland in the 8.30 boat, met Henry at the Ferry buildings, went to the office of the Richardson Co and engaged passages by the “Mako” for Te Araroa, went up and lunched with Henry at his boarding house and we were shopping all afternoon, returned to the Shore in the evening.

Tuesday 25th   There were a few showers.  In the morning I went down to the Shore to do a little shopping, returned for lunch.  After lunch I bid good bye to my friends Mr & Mrs Wallace and went over to Auckland, met Henry and we went shopping together.  Embarked on board the “Mako” at 6 pm for Te Araroa, Jim came to see us off, he is returning home tomorrow.

Wednesday 26th   When we got up this morning we were steaming across the Bay of Plenty out of sight of land, but soon we came in sight of White Island which was smoking, in the evening we arrived at Te Kaha where a lot of cargo was landed in surf boats.

Thursday 27th   We were working the Bays near Cape Runaway, instead of calling at Hicks Bay & Matakawa point we steamed for Te Araroa, the steamer anchored a good distance off and the passengers & luggage were landed in the surf boat on the wharf the other side of the Awatere river and McKeddie’s coach brought us across and up to the Hotel, Jack met us on the wharf having ridden down from Ahomariki.   Jack stopped with Henry and me at the Hotel for the night.  It set in rain in the evening.

Friday 28th    It was a fine day.  After breakfast I had a look round the township, it was much improved since I was here about 13 years ago.
Jack brought a couple of horses down last night and Henry had a buggy which had been repaired at the blacksmiths so we gathered all our luggage and we drove to Tangihanga, Henry’s new place where we arrived at 4 pm.   Jack rode on his horse with us leading the dogs.  Mr & Mrs Connoley are the married couple keeping house for Henry, John Addison was also working here, but Russell was at Jack’s place.

Saturday 29th   It was a fine day.  I was looking round the place, there is a very nice orchard here for home requirements, the trees are so vigorous and healthy looking.
Henry took a ride round to look at the stock.

Sunday 30th   It was a beautiful day, nothing but blue sky.  Henry and Russell rode to Awanui in the afternoon to attend a Court tomorrow, Henry has a case against Metcalf (a neighbour) for abusive language.  Addison rode out to visit a neighbour, so that Mr & Mrs Connoly and I were the only ones left here.  It is very quiet and dull here and I miss the Sunday service very much.

Monday 31st   It was very cold in the morning and I found there had been a frost.  They do not get the sun here until about 9 am. Carpenter (a half caste) who is employed on the other station came for breakfast, he brought half a pig, they were out pig hunting yesterday and killed several, they do a lot of damage by rooting up the grass.  Carpenter took the dray down to Te Araroa to cart goods for the other station.
I started pruning the fruit trees.