March 1927

Tuesday 1st   It was a dull day, but no rain.  I took up the Peerless pea sticks and tied them in bundles.  Jim was painting the roof of the lean to.  Dolly and the children came in the afternoon, and soon after Archie & Charlina Dunning came.  Jane gave them afternoon tea and they went up into the garden.

Wednesday 2nd   It was a fine day.  Jim finished painting the roof of the lean to.  I planted Henderson’s Succession Cabbage seed.

Thursday 3rd   It was a fine day.  I sowed s row of Canadian Wonder beans next to those I sowed on 21 Jan.  Mr Wallace, Alma and Mabel came to spend the day, we had dinner and pm tea on the verandah.

Friday 4th   It was a fine day.  I sowed a 2nd row of Canadian Wonder beans next to the row I sowed yesterday.

Saturday 5th   It was a fine day.  I took up the sticks of the last row of Stratagem peas and dug up the ground.  Jean gave us a surprise by coming in the evening, having come by car from Devonport with Ken Wallace.

Sunday 6th   It was a fine day.  Ken Wallace & family & Mat Coplestone who had come in two cars last night and Laurence, Alma & Mr & Mrs Wallace had a picnic on the domain , after dinner all of us went down to see them , I went home with Mr & Mrs Wallace and after tea we went to Lew Meiklejohns to hear through the wireless the Bishop of London preaching in St Mary’s Cathedral  preach  there were quite a crowd there.  I staid the night at the Wallaces.

Monday 7th   There was a shower early this morning and the weather looked threatening , but we got no more rain .  I left Mr Wallaces soon after 9 am and started to walk home, but Lew Meiklejohn overtook me in his car and gave me a lift home.  I was very tired after my long walk.  Jim, Jane & the children went to Wilsons last night to listen to the Bishop of London’s sermon on their wireless.

Tuesday 8th   It was a fine day.  Lew Meiklejohn tried to burn off some scrub and Jim went to help him, but it was too damp and it would not burn.  Hector & I filled the cask & 6 tins with water and we watered the Homestead beans.  I went to Pats to change my library books.

Wednesday 9th   It was a fine day.  Jane went in the cream lorry to Big Omaha to spend the day with the Wallaces & Alma,  I sent some beans & tomatoes by her.  Laurence brought her home in their car in the evening.
I did some weeding in the garden, but my back was so bad I had to come in and rest.

Thursday 10th   It was a fine day.  The Rodney Cricketers were going to Monganui to day to play a match with the local club, Pat Dunning went.  Mrs Jennings came to keep company with Dolly.  Hector went down to Pats and Dolly gave him a lot of peaches which Jane bottled.  My back was bad and I was not able to do anything outside.

Friday 11th  It rained last night which has done a lot of good.  The beans I sowed a week ago are coming up.  I wrote to Elliott & Holden about Interest due.  This letter was posted to day.  My back was bad, not able to do any work.  Dolly & Mrs Jennings were here in the afternoon and staid for tea.

Saturday 12th   It was a fine day.  I wrote a letter to Henry which will be posted on Monday.  On account of a back I was not able to work.
All of them went to the Domain in the afternoon to watch the bowles.  There was a crowd there.

Sunday 13th   It was a very fine day.  Revd Rouprecht held service in the hall in the morning, there was a very fair congregation, all of us went.  Collection                      Mrs Taylor (Mrs Evan’s mother) and two little Evans girls came here for dinner, Jack Taylor came in the afternoon and all of them staid for tea.  Mrs Greenwood & Erwin came in their car to spend the day at Dolleys, so I went down in the afternoon to see them.  Mr John Roose was with them and I had a long talk with them on church matters.

Monday 14th   It was a very fine day.  Jim was not well so Jane and Hector had to milk the cows in the morning.  My back was still bad so I was not able to work.  Revd Addenbrooke called in the evening.

Tuesday 15th   It was very fine the earlier part of the day and not too hot, but it came on a misty rain late in the afternoon.
There was a school picnic in the domain of the Leigh and Ti Point school in charge of their respective teachers Messrs Fecht and Stewart.   The parents and many friends attended so that there was a large gathering.  Mr T. Ashton very kindly fetched the Leight in his lorry and took them home in the evening.  The children were served with  losuce   on a long table in the hall – and the adults afterward,  the ladies brought baskets of all kinds of nice edibles and were assiduous  in their attention to the wants of the guests.  The afternoon was spent in playing cricket, rounders &c – the elders playing bowls.  Mr Walden kindly sent a large tin of lollies which were distributed among the children.  Tea was served in the hall after which everyone wended their way home having spent a very pleasant [day].  The children tired but happy.

Wednesday 16th   It rained last night and there was a misty rain when we got up this morning,  however it turned out fine during the day .  I got together some vegetables to send to Mrs Gravatt, white schalotts, beet root and homestead beans.  Hector took the bag down to give to Trevor.  I cleaned some onion seed.

Thursday 17th   It was a fine day.  In the pm I took my library books & some beans down to Dollys, afterwards went to Whitakers to return some books I had borrowed, but found no one home.

Friday 18th   It was a fine day.  I was employed in picking in and shelling beans .  I stuck the short row of Homestead beans that were sown on Feb 21st.  I picked a lot of Canadian Wonder beans that were sown on 21st January, just 8 weeks ago.
I earthed up the Canadian wonder beans and did a lot of weeding and loosening the soil.  There was a dance in the evening for the Hockey Club.

Saturday 19th   It rained nearly all day.  The Omaha cricketers were to have gone to Warkworth to play a match with the local club, but on account of the weather it did not come off.  We were going in Tom Ashton’s lorry.

Sunday 20th   It rained last night and it was showery this morning.  I went down to Pats and had a long chat with him.  He told me all about the cricketer’s trip  to play Manganui for the shield which they won by 100 runs.  Hector & Mildred went near Jack’s store and picked a lot of ripe figs for making jam.  Mr Milligan was planned to hold service in the afternoon,  Jane & Mildred went down but Mr Milligan did not turn up.

Monday 21st   It was fine in the morning, but a few showers in the afternoon.  I picked in all the onion seed and cleaned some of it.

Tuesday 22nd   It was a very fine day.  I was working in the flower garden all day.   Weeding, taking in Gladiolus bulb &c.

Wednesday 23rd   The morning was fine  ‘tho threatening.   I took up the seed onions and dug the ground.  In the afternoon it came on to rain and blow and it rained all evening.
Jim and Hector went to Whitakers to grind the axe.

Thursday 24th   Everything was very wet this morning and there were a few slight showers, but the remainder of the day was fine. Jack Taylor came soon after breakfast to get some garden seeds I had promised him as he and his mother  were leaving this morning by the steamer.  I was sorry he was leaving as he is a very nice fellow. In the afternoon Jane & I went to Whitakers, we found that Mr Whitaker & Mrs Wallace had gone to Birdsalls, so Jane went up there to join them.  I staid with Mr Whitaker and had a long chat, he gave me afternoon tea and lent me four books.

Friday 25th   It was a very fine day.  My cold was so bad I could hardly speak, so I staid in the house reading.

Saturday 26th   It was a fine day, ‘tho dull.  The Omaha Cricketers journed  [sic: journeyed]  to Warkworth to play a match with the local club.  Jim,  Jane,  Hector  & Mildred went in Tom Ashton’s lorry, I staid at home on account of my cold, I carried up some sand, picked in some seed beans, and some green ones for eating.  Took some down to Dolly and brought up the meat .  It came on to rain after they came home in the evening.
                                       Results of Cricket Match
Warkworth batted first and made 171 runs
F. Gubb 17,  F. Anderson 0,  C. Andrews 10,  J. Smith 58
C. Farman 70,  H. Duke 5,  T. Derecourt 2,  Langudge 0
W. Culling 0,  Corkindale 0,  Osborn 0,  Bryes 9.  Total 171.
J. Dunning took 2 wickets,  P. Dunning 4,  J. Wyatt 3
Omaha batted next and made 120 runs.
J. C. E. Wyatt 7,  P. Dunning 63,  J. Dunning 27,
E. Gravatt 4,  J. Wyatt 7,  R. Harper 0,  T. Gravatt 0
T. Ashton 0,  E. Brown 1,  J. Torkington 2.  H. Ashton 0
                                                                                                          Total 120.
                            Thus won with 51 runs to spare.
The visiting team were entertained to dinner at Bridge House.

Sunday 27th   It rained all last night, but it was very fine to day.
Mr C. Phillips (Methodist) was to have held service in the afternoon. Jane & Mildred went down, but Mr P. did not turn up so Mr Evans
                 I took a walk down to the domain and had a talk with Mr Smitherman about church matters, afterwards I went to Harry Ashtons.  Mr & Mrs Wallace, Laurence and Alma were there.  They gave me a lift home in their car.

Monday 28th   It was a fine day.  I was planting Daffodils all day.

Tuesday 29th   It was a fine day.  I finished planting Daffodils.  All the others went to Wilsons in the evening to hear the wireless, I staid at home as I was tired after my days work.

Wednesday 30th   It was a fine day ‘tho dull.  Jane rode to Big Omaha to visit Wallaces and Alma, I sent a lot of beans for them.  I planted 3 clumps of Dwarf Pink Gladiolus and 1 of Sparixis.  I also pared the weeds between the sweet peas and the fence.

Thursday 31st   It was a fine day.  I pared some weeds off the ground below the Lima beans .  I was cleaning onion seed.  Went down to Dolly’s to change my library book and to take her some vegetables. Jane went to the beach to get some pipis.

The rainfall for March as recorded by the Postmaster at Warkworth  3.44 inches, rain fell on 10 days with a maximum fall on the 15th of 0.98 inches