March 1905

Wednesday 1st   There were some showers in the morning, but it turned out a fine day.  Willie and I took our exhibits down to the Hall in the morning, we did not exhibit so much as usual.  The “Kapanui” and the “Gael” came with excursionists from Auckland, they brought about 100 between them, the exhibits at the Show were not so numerous as usual, but the quality was very good ,  Mr & Mrs Jackson brought up a concert company from Auckland, the musical portion was very good.
Misses Lina & Emily Cruickshank were here for lunch & tea and they staid all night, Mr & Mrs Sim, Mr Davy, Hughie Thomson, Mrs Tait, Mr & Joe & Harold Torkington & Miss Johnson were here for tea.  Mr Tait also staid all night.

Thursday 2nd   It was a fine day.  The Miss Cruickshanks & Mr Tait returned home after breakfast.  Willie & I took the bullock down to the wharf and hauled up 14 fruit cases, 50 lbs of Sharps that I got from Harpers, also our exhibits which were left at the Hall.
In the afternoon Willie & I were working at our gate filling in.
Willie Dunning and Ben Smith came to spend the evening.

Friday 3rd   It was a fine day with the exception of a slight shower in the morning.
Willie & I were picking Damsons in this orchard, we picked 7 cases.
Mable & Miss Mills came in the afternoon and staid for tea,  Jane went down with them to Tennis in the evening.  I went down to attend to the Library.

Saturday 4th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were picking fruit all day in this orchard, we picked 5 cases Damsons, 2 do Autumn Compôte  & 2,  30 lb Cases of Lord Wollesley Apples.
Jane spent the evening at A. Dunnings.

Sunday 5th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I examined the bandages on the Apple trees & killed 90 Codlin Moth grubs.

Monday 6th   It was a fine day.  Hauled the 9 Cases Fruit, a box of Eggs & a Case of mixed Fruit for Mrs Simpson down to the wharf.
The “Rob Roy” called in for me and I went to Auckland in her on a holiday, arriving in Auckland about 2 oclock, went up Queen St first to do some business, and then took the tram up to Ponsonby and staid at Mrs Simpsons.  Noel Wallace came in the evening to bring me my ticket for the St Matthews consecration tomorrow.  Noel did not stay,  we had a rubber of whist.

Tuesday 7th   A fine day.  I went to the consecration of St Matthews new Church, I got down there soon after 10 when the doors were open, and the church was soon full,  I enjoyed the service very much, it was over about 1 oclock, I went and dined at the Strand Caffee, returned to Ponsonby in the afternoon, called at Edie Walletts shop in Jervois Road.  After tea went to evening service at St Matthews and afterwards to a social in the Federal Hall of the old S. Matthews parisheners,  there was a very good concert and refreshments , I renewed the aquaintance of several of the old hands whom I knew when we were living in Auckland.

Wednesday 8th   It was a fine day.  I went down to the wharf in the morning took a box of Bananas that Fred gave me , I sent them down to Willie care of Sam Hill.
Fred and I went to spend the evening at Mr Walletts in Brown St.

Thursday 9th   It was a fine day.  I went to Howick in the Motor Buss.  I was disappointed in the place,  I expected to find an ideal village, went on to the beach & wharf, and into the old church, had lunch there.

Friday 10th   It was a fine day.  I was in Queen St all morning, had dinner at the Strand Coffee.  The boys went to the mens Club at All Saints School Room.  Mrs Simpson & I went to spend the evening at Mr Bacons in Dunedin Street.

Saturday 11th   It was a fine day.  I was down in Queen Street in the morning.  In the afternoon I went to the Domain to see the Cricket Matches.  Fred & I went to Fullers Entertainers in the Opera House.

Sunday 12th   A fine day.  In the morning I attended service at All Saints,  Revd Favell read prayers, Revd Cleary read the lessons & the Bishop preached.  I rested in the afternoon.
In the evening Mrs Simpson, Grace, Victor & Elsie Bacon went to S. Matthews new church enjoyed the service very much Revd Gillam (Vicar) read prayers and Canon Beattie preached an excellent sermon.  Frank Graham sang a Solo  (Abide with me).

Monday 13th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I called at the Vicarage to see Revd Favell, also saw Revd Cleary.
Noel & Miss Johnson came in the evening and we had a game of Bobs.

Tuesday 14th   A fine day. I was in Queen Street all morning making purchases to go down to Omaha tomorrow morning.  Called at Mrs Mills in the pm.  Wrote a letter to Jane in the evening, while doing so John Torkington came in, having just arrived from Omaha via Matakana.  The boys were at the mens club.  Noel called in afterwards to post my letter and to take my bag to the North Shore with him this evening, as I am going to stay their tomorrow.

Wednesday 15th   A fine day.  In the morning I went round to Ponsonby Road to get a paper.  Saw Revd Latter going to morning service at All Saints, I also went to service, spoke to Archdeacon Caldie & Mr Favell.  Fred had his holiday today, he was going fishing in his boat , I went with him to Clares beach where he keeps his boat, afterwards went down town met Noel at the North Shoe Ferry Tee at 4.30 and we went across to Devonport.  I received a very warm welcome at Mr Wallaces.

Thursday 16th   A fine day.  Went across to Auckland, called at John Chambers & Son, saw Mr & John Torkington there, made arrangements about going to Ngaruawahia tomorrow.  Charlie Mayall showed me all the machinery in the stores.  Went up to Mrs Simpsons and had lunch there.  Returned to Devonport in the afternoon.  Called at Mrs Sutherlands, but not finding her at home I called opposite at Captain George McKenzie where I had afternoon tea with Mrs McKenzie Jn  & Mrs Anysley.

Friday 17th   St Patrick’s Day.  Noel had a holiday, he was going yachting up the harbour, he and I got up early and crossed over to Auckland in the 6.30 boat.  Met John Torkington at the station.  Mrs Torkington did not get down in time to go to Ngaruawahia by the first train, but went by the train leaving at 8.5 .   Mr & Whitley went in the same carriage with us, arrived at Ngaruawahia at 11.30 – saw George Davey and his wife, Mr & Mrs Sheppard & Julia & Herbert Fordham.  There was a great crowd of people present estimated at about 12,000.  The Maori canoe races were very interesting.
Mr Torkington went on to Hamilton with the Davies, John and I returned to Auckland, I arrived at Mr Wallaces at 9.30 pm having spent a very pleasant day.

Saturday 18th   I went over to Auckland in the morning, went up to Mrs Simpsons, while there it came on a steady rain, before I got back to Mr Wallaces I was wet through and had to change my clothes.  On account of the weather Noel did not play cricket.  Noel & Gordon went over to Auckland after tea and Fred returned with them to stay.

Sunday 19th   It was cloudy and there were a few slight showers.
In the morning I went a walk with the boys to the narrow neck.  After dinner Mr Wallace, Noel, Fred and I walked on the beach to Lake Takapuna and back by the road.  In the evening Mr & Mrs Wallace, Alma and I went to Trinity Church,  Revd Evershed officiated.

Monday 20th   It was a fine day.  I said good bye to the Wallaces and went with Noel across to Auckland, arrived there at 9 am.  I had plenty of time to get my parcels together as the “Gael” did not start until nearly noon, had a very calm passage arrived at Omaha at 4.15.  Willie was on the wharf to meet me.  I found the Revd Favell at our place.

Tuesday 21st   It was a fine day.  Revd Favell returned to Auckland in the “Gael“.  I went to the wharf to see him off.  Mrs Ellis Dyer & Miss Porritt came in the morning and staid dinner.  Willie & I were burning in the front.
Jane went to Mrs Archie Dunnings in the evening to sleep so as to be ready to go to the Waipu Show by the “Rob Roy” which is going to call in early tomorrow morning.

Wednesday 22nd   It was a fine day.  Willie & I dug a piece of ground in the garden and planted some Silver Beet plants that Mr Wallace gave me.  Afterwards we picked 3 Cases Apples , two for Mr Wallace and 1 for Mrs Simpson, we hauled them down to the wharf and sent them by the “Gael“.
Hauled up to Alberts house a Tank spouting and door, and some timber up to our place.

Thursday 23rd   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were burning grass in the front.  Jane returned from Waipu before dinner.

Friday 24th   It was a fine day.  Willie & I were burning grass in the barley paddock.  Miss McKenzie & Mrs Hutchinson came to spend the afternoon.  I went down to the Post Office and the Library in the evening.

Saturday 25th   It was a fine day.  I examined the bandages on the Apple trees for the Codlin Moth and caught 86 grubs, Willie caught 114 while I was in Auckland, that makes 488 caught altogether.  There was a Tennis match on this Court between the local Club and the Matakana Club.  Omaha won 4 out of the 5 events.  There were a great number to witness the events fully 200 including children, the club gave afternoon tea to all, there was a dance in the Hall in the evening.  I came home to milk, but returned to the Hall again, the dancing went very lively and there were several songs, I was playing Euchre all the evening, Mr Jas Darroch being my partner.

Sunday 26th   It was a fine day.  Willie went to Ti Point to spend the day.  Jane and I went to Bible Class, also to the Wesleyan service in the afternoon.  Revd G. T. Marshall preached his farewell sermon, as he is leaving this circuit.

Monday 27th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I took the bullock down to the wharf and hauled up some fruit cases &c.  Willie and I were burning grass in the front.  Mrs Handby came for dinner.

Tuesday 28th   It was a fine day.  I was making a Fowl Crate.
Willie picked 2 Cases Beurre Diels,  2 Do Greenwoods Pear,  1 Do Golden Russet & 1 Do Culinery Apples.
Willie went over to Ti Point to fish this evening for market.

Wednesday 29th   It was a fine day.  I caught 19 Young Roosters and put them into the crate and hauled it and the 6 Cases of Fruit down to the wharf in the afternoon.  The “Kawau” & the “Gael” were in at the same time and there were a number of conveyances at the commencement of the wharf.  I found that 2 Sacks of Maize and 1 Sack of Sharps were landed for me yesterday by the “Gael“.  I hauled up 1 Sack of Maize.
Willie returned from Ti Point in the evening, he caught 4 bundles of fish and brought a few home.

Thursday 30th   It was a fine day.  When I went out in the morning I found that “Beauty” was stretched out dead, having chocked with eating Apples which I gave her last night,  Willie & I skinned her and buried the carcase in the swamp.  In the afternoon Willie was burning grass, and I went down to the Store, Wharf & the Library to Catalogue some new magazines.

Friday 31st   It was a fine day.  We got the Sheep in in the morning and we killed one in the pm .  In the morning Willie took the bullock down to the wharf, took the cow hide with him and hauled up 1 Sack of Maize & 1 Sack of Sharps.  Charlie Wyatt came today to do some carpentering, he commenced to make new steps to the front verandah.  In the afternoon Willie & I were burning at the bottom of the barley  paddock.  I went down to the Post Office and attended to the Library.  While I was down there the “Gael” came in from Mangawai, there was a crowd on the wharf to meet her.