December 1920

Wednesday 1st    I went over to Auckland in the morning, met Henry in Queen St, went with him to Mr Elliotts office, but found he had not returned.  Henry met by appointment Mrs Blennerhassett  & her daughter Annie at the Waverly Hotel  & I was introduced to the latter.  Then went down to see the “Kotiti” off for Leigh,  Mrs Harper, A. L. Greenwood  & Roy Neeley returned by her, she had a full cargo and a lot of passengers.   Had a fish dinner at Sandfords and then went up to Karangahape Rd intending to call at Jas Greenwoods, but met him in the street on his way to the Hospital to see Mrs G who is being treated there.  Called at Willie place and Grace made me afternoon tea,  bought a new hat returned to the shore.  Mrs McMurtrie came in the evening and we played Five Hundred.

Thursday 2nd   There was a misty rain all day,  I went over to Auckland after lunch and went up to Parnell in the car, and straight to St Mary’s Cathedral where Henrys wedding was to take place at 2.30,  Elsie Ellen Blennerhassett was given away by her uncle.
Her bridesmaid was her sister Annie, and Wm  Blennerhassett was Henrys best man.  The bride, the bridesmaid and the mother carried beautiful bouquets, the Vicar Revd Percy James was the officiating clergyman,  after the ceremony the wedding party went in three motor cars to Mrs Blennerhassetts residence in St Georges Bay Road in Parnell where the wedding breakfast was laid .  Willie, Grace & Minnie were present.
I returned to the Shore and Mr & Mrs Wallace and Alma & I went to a concert in the evening at the Parish Hall in aid of the building fund of a new Congregational Church at Devonport and it was well attended, we enjoyed it very much.

Friday 3rd   It was a very fine day.  After lunch I went across to Auckland and went out to the Show at Epson,  the live stock were very fine, the flowers were exhibited in a large marquee and were beautiful, especially the roses and sweet peas,  met Jim Greenwood  and returned to Auckland with him.

Saturday 4th   It was a fine day.  I went across to Auckland and went up to Mr Elliotts office and he paid me £1600 being the balance of the purchase money from the sale of my farm.
Went to see the Treasurer of the City Council to enquire about municipal   [Clarke left a half line gap]
returned to the Shore for lunch and in the pm Mr Wallace & I went to the Domain to witness a cricket match between the Shore & Eden Clubs,  Eden won.

Sunday 5th   It was a fine day.  My cough was very bad so I did not go to Church in the morning.  In the afternoon Mr & Mrs W.  and Alma  & I went across to Auckland & took the car to Mount Eden to pay a visit to Ken Wallace who has recently bought a very nice place beyond the terminus,  we had tea there and returned to the Shore in the evening.

Monday 6th   It was a fine day, but it came over misty in the afternoon.  I went across to Auckland in the afternoon.  I posted a letter registered to the Manager of the Union Bank at Te Araroa enclosing a Cheque for £1000 that I am lending to Jack & Henry at 6½ %  interest,  also a letter to Jack telling him I am sending it.
Went to Mr Elliotts office and lent to his Brother [Nathan Albert Elliott] £600 on 1st mortgage on a farm in the Bay of Plenty at 6½ %  interest.  Afterwards I went up to Norfolk St,  Grace was the only one at home, she gave me afternoon tea, returned to the Shore .
Mr MacMurtrie and Mrs Peterson came in the evening and we played 500.

Tuesday 7th   It was a fine day.  I said goodbye to my friends (the Wallaces) and took my luggage across to Auckland, had some lunch and then went up to Willies place in Norfolk St & staid the night.

Wednesday 8th   It was a fine day.  Left Willies place and took my luggage down to the “Kawau“, went up Queen St to do some shopping,  the “Kawau” left the wharf with a full cargo and a lot of passengers,  Mr & Mrs D. W. Knaggs,  Mrs Len Wyatt and Lewis Meiklejohn were fellow passengers , we had a fairly smooth trip and arrived at Leigh at 3.15 pm.
Eddie was down with the cart so I & my luggage came up here with him.

Thursday 9th   It was a fine day.  Jim was carting metal to put on the road below the Ti Point School.  I went up to my garden and planted 3 Bonfire Salvias & 8 Asters that I brought from Auckland,  I went to Mr A. Dunnings in the evening to take Mrs D a bunch of rhubarb.

Friday 10th   It was a fine day.  Jim was carting metal.  I went up to the garden , I weeded between the cabbages, planted a Dahlia and got sticks and drove them in for other Dahlias.  Went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 11th   It was raining when we got up, but towards 9 am it cleared up a little and there were only a few slight showers during the day.  I did not go up to the garden as my cough was bad.   There was a Cricket Match at the Claim between Warkworth and Omaha Clubs.   Warkworth made 41 runs and Omaha 222,  of these
Archie  D made 91.

Sunday 12th   It was a fine day.   I attended the Presbyterian service (Revd Poole) in the morning.
In the afternoon I called on Mrs Gravatt and A. L. Greenwood.

Monday 13th   It was a very fine day.  Jim finished carting metal  at Ti Point School.  Although my cough was bad I went up to the garden morning & afternoon.  I planted out some young plants of Zinnias, Phloxes and Stocks.  I went to Arthur Greenwoods in the afternoon to change my Library books.
I picked the first Peerless Peas, they were sown on September 1st, they are bearing well.

Tuesday 14th   It was a fine day.  The boys were cutting Danthonia on this place.  I was working up in the garden morning and afternoon.  I planted out several small plants, cut grass on the paths.  Picked some more Peas.

Wednesday 15th   It was blowing a gale from the E, also driving rain.  The “Kotiti” should have come only the weather prevented her.

Thursday 16th   It continued to blow and rain.  I wrote a long letter to Willie & Jim posted it.

Friday 17th   It was not blowing quite so bad.  Heard that there would be no boat this week.  Went down for the overland mail in the evening.  Received a letter from Jane who is at Te Araroa, it is dated Dec 7th.  Eddie went to parade at Matakana and staid the night.

Saturday 18th   It was a very fine day.  The young people went to Warkworth to play a Tennis match with Warkworth but I am sorry to say that they were beaten .  I went up to the garden morning & afternoon, the ground was too wet to plant so I cut the grass on the path and did a lot of weeding .  In the evening I went to call at Mr Griggs & took some peas & a cabbage, but found they were out.

Sunday 19th   It was a very fine day.  Revd Richards (Methodist) held service in the Hall in the afternoon, I attended.  Afterwards I went down to Horace’s place and staid for tea.

Monday 20th   It was a very fine day. Wind SW.  I was working up in the garden,  I planted two Dahlias and a lot of small flower plants, also planted a clump of Nerene bulbs.
The boys were cutting Danthonia.

Tuesday 21st   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I went up to the garden and planted out some little plants.  In the afternoon I went down to meet the steamer, she made a round trip.  A good many passengers came up by her.  The Reaper & Binder came down for Wyatts.

Wednesday 22nd   It was a very fine day.  Jim Wyatt commenced reaping Ernie Wyatts Oats opposite C. Gravatts with his new Reaper and Binder.  I was working in my garden.  Mr Grigg the new Teacher came to have a look at my garden in the afternoon, and then we went down to the Church and Mr Griggs fixed up the organ as there were several notes that would not sound.  By invitation I went up to Mr Griggs for tea and spent a very pleasant evening , they seem very nice people.

Thursday 23rd   It was a very fine day.  Jim finished reaping that paddock of Oats of Ernie Wyatts.  I was working in my garden.  Went down to meet the steamer in the afternoon, she had 28 passengers for here and sh had 40 for the Kawau.  I heard that Jane had Te Araroa in the “Mako” this morning.
There was a Xmas Tree in the Hall in the evening for the children, there was a crowd.  I went, but did not stay long.

Friday 24th   Xmas Eve   A very fine day.   Jim was reaping another paddock of Oats for Ernie Wyatt.  I was working in the garden.  Went for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 25th   Christmas Day.   Weather fine, rather windy.  Jim finished reaping the 2nd paddock of Oats for Ernie Wyatt in the morning.  I went up to the garden in the morning to do some watering , picked a bunch of flowers.
Eddie & Ivy,  Lennie, Jim and I went down to the beach to spend Christmas at Charlie Wyatts, we were royally entertained, there were presents for every one at the table.  Charlie & Maggie gave me a pair of woolen socks and Eddie & Ivy gave me a hem stitched pocket handkerchief.  After an early tea we went across the other side, the boys played tennis, Ivy staid at the beach.

Sunday 26th   It was a very hot day.  Revd Hawksworth held service in the Church at 11 am.  There were over 40 present, nearly a doz communicated.  Collection 27/6,  Mr Hawksworth came with us to dinner at Charlie Wyatts, he was holding service at Matakana this evening.

Monday 27th   It was a very fine day.  There was a Tennis Tournament on these courts got up by this Club.  There were a good many contestants belonging to Leigh club, Pakiri & Dacres,  the finals were won by Eddie Wyatt  for gents & Muriel Gravatt for ladies.
I had lunch & tea in the Hall but did not stay for the evening dances.

Tuesday 28th   After breakfast I went up to the garden and did some gardening, afterwards helped the boys take up Danthonia to a heap and cover it over as it was threatening for rain .  While we were at dinner  it commenced to rain, but it soon cleared up again.
I went down to meet the “Kawau“, she did not arrive until 5 pm.  Jane & the baby returned by her, they only arrived in Auckland by the “Mako” from Te Araroa this morning.
George Davey & his wife also came up to stay at Harold Torkingtons.
There are 5 yachts in the harbour with Auckland boys on board.

Wednesday 29th   There was a misty rain first thing in the morning, but I did not think it was going to be very much, so I went up to the garden, planted out some Phlox plants in the long bed and did other odd jobs, but the rain increased so I got wet.  Jim was sieving Danthonia seed in my old bedroom.  Was not able to do anything outside in the afternoon.

Thursday 30th   It was a fine day, but everything was very wet first thing in the morning.  I went up to the garden and broke down the piece of ground between the peas and the sweet peas, tied up the Tomatoes and dug the piece of ground the left hand side of the gate.
In the morning the boys made a bridge over the Koeroa creek for the cows to cross, in the afternoon they thrashed Danthonia seed.
I went down to meet the steamer in the evening, got the mail. Received the P.N for £1000 signed by Jack & Henry.

Friday 31st   It was a very fine day.  The boys were thrashing Danthonia, I was working up in the garden.  I weeded and dug up the piece of ground in the corner near the pig sty and in the afternoon I planted out some pink sweet peas.
In the afternoon Mrs R. Matheson gave a general invitation to assemble on the Koeroa beach for games and to introduce Keith’s wife, whom he had lately brought out from Scotland,  about 60 assembled and we were all entertained to afternoon tea.