November 1902

Saturday 1st   It was a fine day.  Willie was getting some lycapodium with Willie Dunning for decorating the Hall.  In the afternoon we cooked the Ham.  Willie was cleaning the strawberry bed, and I was digging in the flower garden.

Sunday 2nd   It was a fine day.  Willie went over to Ti Point to spend the day.  I went over to Joe Wyatts in the afternoon and staid for tea.

Monday 3rd   There was a slight shower in the morning, but it turned out a fine day.  Willie and I went down to the Hall in the evening morning , all the young people were there to decorate and cut up sandwiches.  Mr Leeds called here in the afternoon on election matters and I made him some tea.
There was a crowd of people on the wharf to welcome the arrival of the new Steamer “Claymore” on her first trip here.  A good many people came from Auckland and McGregors  [sic: McGregor Steam Ship Co.] brought the German Band and they played as the Steamer neared the wharf, and cheers were given by those on the wharf.
Jane and George Simpson came up by her also Harold Torkington, they came up here for tea.  We all went down to the Hall in the evening where a grand Ball was given by the settlers, everyone were invited , short speeches were made by Mr Greenwood and myself and replied to by Messrs W. A. and Mr McGregor.  The German Band discoursed splendid music, and everyone were much pleased, a splendid supper was served on the stage, and there were temperance drinks.  There must have been nearly 200 present.

Tuesday 4th   We all went down to the wharf in the morning to see the “Claymore” off, Jane went back with her to stay a week with Mrs Harding.  Bowden Birdsall sent over 300 Sheep by her.
I went down to the Hall in the afternoon to help clear up.  Mr Leeds called in the afternoon.

Wednesday 5th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I were cleaning the Strawberry bed and digging the top side of the house

Thursday 6th   It was a fine day, but windy.  Willie was finishing cleaning the strawberries and I was working in the flower garden.  Minnie came round in the “Kawau” and came up here for lunch, she told me that Mr John Meiklejohn was dead and was going to be buried this afternoon at Dacres Cemetery, so I rode over, there was a large assemblage of neighbours from all surrounding districts to show their respect for the memory of the deceased.  Revd R. McKinney officiated at the grave.

Friday 7th   It was a fine day.  We were hoeing between the Potatoes the far side of the orchard, also earthed up a few rows the top side of the house.  I went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 8th   It was a fine day with the exception of misty rain in the morning.  Willie went down to the wharf in the afternoon to fish, but he only caught a small rock cod.  There was a dance in the Hall in the evening to eat what was left from the Ball last Monday, but there were only a few present.
There was also a meeting of the Farmers Union in the Library, the Union’s vote was given in favour of Mr Mander.

Sunday 9th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I rode over to Ti Point to spend the day.  I called at Mr Lloyds and he gave me some Cabbage and Cauliflower plants.  We went over to the Sand Spit in the afternoon, returned home in time to milk the cows.

Monday 10th   It was fine in the morning and was misty rain in the afternoon.  We planted the Cabbage and Cauliflower plants  between the Potatoes below the house.  Willie sowed seeds of Tomato and Lettuce.

Tuesday 11th   It was a fine day.  I took the Eggs down to the Store in the morning and then I walked over to Ti Point and had some lunch at Minnies, she gave me a Pelagonium plant, and I got a bag of shells.  Minnie and I came round in the “Rose Casey“, Jane returned from Auckland in her.  Minnie came up to our place for tea and then she walked home.

Wednesday 12th   It was a fine day.  The County Election took place in the Hall to day, H. Brown & D. Kempt were the candidates, I heard afterwards that the votes recorded at all the Polling places were as follows
H.  Brown      37
D.  Kempt      20

Thursday 13th   It was a fine day and very calm.  Willie went fishing to Ti Point  and he brought home a 12 lb Schnapper.  The Bible Class Picnic was held in Archie Dunning‘s paddock in the afternoon.  Jane and I were digging in the flower garden.

Friday 14th   When we got up in the morning we were surprised to hear that Fred Simpson & Noel Wallace came up in the “Kawau” at 1.30 this morning and that they had roused Jane up to let them in , after breakfast they went down with Willie to the Cove to have a bathe, in the afternoon they rode over to Ti Point returning here for tea.  They left here by the “Kawau” at 9 pm to Auckland.

Saturday 15th   It was a fine day.  We got the Sheep up in the morning and Charlie Wyatt came to tail the Lambs.  They were as follows
14    Ewe Lambs
12   Wether Lambs
   2   Rams left with long tails
Mr Sim came in the morning and he staid for dinner.  In the afternoon was the opening of the Tennis season, Jane and I went down, and the ladies gave afternoon tea.

Sunday 16th   It rained steadily last night and it has done a great deal of good to ground that has been dug.  I read service in the Hall in the afternoon, it rained while we were in at service and when we were going home.  Miss Hutchinson was here for tea.  We got Beauty in, she has a Bull Calf.

Monday 17th   It rained during the night and early this morning, but it turned out a fine day.  We hoed and earthed up the far side of the orchard.  We killed a Sheep in the afternoon.

Tuesday 18th   It was a fine day.  I took the Eggs down to the Store in the afternoon, also went to the Steamer.  The “Rose Casey” came this week.  There was a Progressive Euchre Party in the Hall in the evening.  Miss Hutchinson came here and went with Jane & Willie.  I staid at home.  There was a misty rain in the evening.

Wednesday 19th   It was a fine day.  George Wyatt came to shear the Sheep.  The Sheep at the back of the house were sheared first and then we got some in from the front.  Two of Walter Frearsons that were in amongst mine Ernest Wyatt came in the afternoon and took them away.

Thursday 20th   It was a fine day.  George Wyatt came again to shear.

Friday 21st   It was a very hot day.  Bob Neeley and George Wyatt came to day to shear, and they finished them in the evening.  I rode over to Matakana in the afternoon to get Mr Campbell to witness my signature.
Rosey calved on the farm a day or two ago, and this morning I found her dead in the big clearing.

Saturday 22nd   It was a fine day, there was a slight shower of rain in the afternoon.  Willie and I went over to Frearsons in the morning to get two of our Sheep, when we got them home we sheared them and put them in the horse paddock.  We packed the 2 Bales of Wool.  Mr Whitaker came in the evening to get me to witness his signature.

Sunday 23rd   It was dull in the morning, but turned out a fine day.  As Revd Marshall was to preached in the Hall this afternoon, Jane & Miss Hutchinson rode up to Pratts to spend the day, returning home by Dacres Claim.  Willie and I rode over to Ti Point to spend the day, in the afternoon we went sailing in the harbour.

Monday 24th   It was a fine day.  We got Rosey’s calf home this morning, it was lying down beside its dead mother and had been chewing at her teats.  It was a Heifer Calf.  We hauled our 2 Bales of Wool and a bundle (5) Sheep Skins down to the Wharf.
In the afternoon we dug one row of the Early Puritan Potatoes the top side of the house, and in their place we planted 12 Tomato plants that Minnie gave me yesterday.

Tuesday 25th   It was a fine day, but very windy.
The General Election.
Charlie Wyatt was Returning Officer for the Electoral Poll and I for the Licensing Poll – 55 votes were recorded, the votes were as follows
Mander       48
Thompson    7

Continuance     27
Reduction           29
No License         27

Wednesday 26th    It was a fine day.  In the morning I rode up the hill to pass a road deviation that John Greenwood had made across the late John Greenwood Senr‘s land.  I had dinner at Johns.   Willie and I were digging in the middle of the orchard.  Jane rode to Matakana in the evening.  I went down to the Village in the evening to try and hear some news about the Election and to get some sand for the garden.

Thursday 27th   The wind was blowing very strong all day.  Willie and I were digging out docks in the middle of the orchard.  There was a shower of rain in the middle of the day.  Willie went down to the Store to order some goods.

Friday 28th   It was a fine day.  Ted Harper brought up a Sack Maize, 100 lbs Flour & 50 lbs No 1 Sugar first thing in the morning.  Willie and I were digging out docks in the middle of the orchard.  Jane returned from Matakana in the evening with Johny Salt in the sulky, Mr James Cruickshank had taken Empress and ridden her to Warkworth in mistake for his own horse.

Saturday 29th   It rained first thing in the morning, but it cleared up later in the morning.  The Omaha Cricketers went to Takatu Point to play a match, some in Achie Dunning‘s yacht, some walked from the sand spit, and some rode from Matakana, I heard afterwards that Omaha beat by a great number of runs.
There was a Special Meeting of the Ratepayers held in the Road Board Office at 1 pm, about 24 were present a motion was carried that some portion of the Road Board Funds should be spent on the County Roads, only 7 Ratepayers voted against it.   Mr H. Brown Riding member, who was present, gave a statement of account during the past year and was accorded a vote of thanks.
There was a Road Board Meeting afterwards, also a School Committee Meeting at Harpers.

Sunday 30th   It was a fine day.  Willie rode to Matakana to bring Empress home.  I went down to Bible Class in the morning.   Read service in the Hall in the afternoon, there were only 5 present besides myself.