April 1903

Wednesday 1st   It rained pretty heavy last night, but it was fine today.  We were picking Fruit all day.  We sent “Dolly”,  “Strawberry” and a ‘Strawberry Steer’ by Bowden Birdsall to be sold at the Sale at Warkworth on Friday.

Thursday 2nd   It was a fine day.  We took 8 Cases Fruit down to the wharf in the morning to go away by the “Kawau“.
We were burning tea tree in the front in the afternoon.  Mr Handby came in the evening.

Friday 3rd   It rained last night and the ground was very wet this morning.  I went down to the Post Office and the Library in the evening.

Saturday 4th   Showery weather.  Willie was unwell.  I was cutting tea tree in the front.  Dan Kempt called in the evening.

Sunday 5th   The wind has changed to the south and it turned out a fine day.  I walked aver to Ti Point to spend the day with Minnie & Joe.  Mrs Runciman was spending the pm here while I was away.

Monday 6th   It was a fine day.  Willie is confined to his bed suffering from pleurisy.   I picked 8 Cases of Greenwoods pears and 4 Cases of Vicars.

Tuesday 7th   It was a fine day.  I hauled the 12 Cases of Fruit down to the “Claymore

Wednesday 8th   It was a fine day.  Horace came to stay with us for his Easter holidays.  We got the Sheep up from the front and killed one in the afternoon.

Thursday 9th   It was a fine day.  I cut up the Sheep in the morning and took the mutton out.  Mrs J. C. Wyatt & Mrs Runciman came in the evening to see Willie.  Walter Frearson also came to get some mutton.  I stopped up late and went down to the wharf to meet the “Claymore“.

Friday 10th   The “Claymore” arrived here about 1 am this morning bringing the Wanderers Cricketers numbering 17 men.  Several other persons came up by her including Fred and Noel who came to stay with us.  The Settlers gave a picnic in Mr A. Dunning‘s paddock in the afternoon and the Wanderers gave a very good Concert in the Hall in the evening.  We all went and enjoyed a very pleasant evening, unfortunately Willie was confined to his bed and so lost all the fun.

Saturday 11th   It was a very fine day.  Some of the Wanderers came up to our orchard in the morning to have a feed of fruit.  There was a Cricket Match in Charlie Wyatts paddock between the Wanderers and Omaha, 16 men played on each side.  Noel Wallace played for Omaha.  I was scoring for Omaha, Omaha won by 2 runs.
Noel rode to Warkworth in the evening to meet his brother.  Joe Torkington was here for tea.  There was a smoke concert in the evening in the Hall, but none of us went to it.

Sunday 12th   It was a fine day.  Fred Simpson walked over to Ti Point early in the morning and Horace and I went over later in the morning, we all three returned home in the evening.  Noel had not long returned from Matakana having staid at Mr Joe . Smiths.    His brother did not come yesterday.

Monday 13th   It was a fine day.  There was another Cricket Match in Charlie Wyatts paddock between the Wanderers and Omaha 16 played on each side, Noel played for Omaha and made top score viz 24.  I was scoring.  Omaha won by 20 runs.
Fred and Horace went over to Ti Point fishing.
There was a dance in the Hall in the evening as a send off for the Cricketers, we all went.  The “Orewa” came about midnight and took the Wanderers back to Auckland,  Fred went with them.  Noel staid behind.

Tuesday 14th   Noel went fishing to the Maori point in the morning and in the afternoon he and Jane went for a ride.
The “Kawau” was to have called in on her way from Mangawai to Auckland and Noel wanted to go away with her, so I went down with him to see him off, we waited down there a long time  and she did not come so Noel went on board the “Claymore” to sleep intending to go up in her tomorrow morning.

Wednesday 15th   Being up so late last night, I was not up very early this morning.  Mr Pratt called in the morning to take Horace home.

Thursday 16th   It rained last night, but it turned out a very fine day.
Charlie Wyatt, Alec Matheson and I were laying out a deviation through Mr A. Dunnings land leading to the Goat Island.

Friday 17th   It was a fine day.   I went down to the Post Office and the wharf in the morning.  I was picking Pears in the pm.  The Annual Meeting to elect a new Hall Committee was held in the Library in the evening, the old Committee with the addition of  W. Frearson were elected.

Saturday 18th   It was a fine day.   I took the bullock down to the wharf in the morning and hauled up 24 empty cases.  Willie Wright came to register the birth of a child and he staid for lunch.  Jane went to a Tennis match at the Domain.  There was a meeting of the Road Board in the afternoon.

Sunday 19th   Jessie and Bob Neeley came here to spend the day,  it came on to rain and it rained all day, they staid all night.

Monday 20th   It cleared up and was a fine day.  The Neeleys returned home in the morning, Willie and I were picking Vicar Pears.

Tuesday 21st   It was a showery day.  The roads were a bit slippery.
I took the Fruit down to the Wharf.

Wednesday 22nd   It was a fine day.  I was digging out weeds the top side of the house where we are going to plant strawberries.

Thursday 23rd   It was a fine day.  I was at Charlie Wyatts in the morning, also at the Hall and at Mrs Dunnings,  Mrs C.  Dunnings and Mr Neeleys on Road Board business.

Friday 24th   It was a fine day.  I was down to the Post Office in the morning ,  also in the evening, and to the Library.

Saturday 25th   It was a fine day.  Mr Neeley and I rode to Warkworth to present a counter Petition to the one that Mr H. Brown was to presented to the County Council praying that the Omaha Road Board be merged in the County,  Mr Neeley and I waited on the Council and stated our objections.  We had dinner at Baggs, I called on Mrs Aveys, we also called at Mr Sims and had tea there, and I did not reach home until about 11 pm.
The Mangawai Cricketers came in the “Kawau” and played a match against the local club, the latter winning in an innings and 27 runs.
There was a dance in the Hall in the evening.

Sunday 26th   It was a fine day.  I went up to Mr Handbys in the evening and staid for tea.

Monday 27th   It was a fine day.  We were picking Vicar Pears.

Tuesday 28th   It was a fine day.  We took the Fruit down to the wharf in the afternoon and hauled up some empty cases that Noel sent back, also a bag of Flour from Harpers.

Wednesday 29th   It was a fine day.  Jane rode to Matakana in the morning .  I was working in the flower garden in the morning and we were burning heaps in the front in the afternoon.

Thursday 30th   It was a fine day, Jane returning from Matakana in the morning.
The Old Aged Pensioners came in the afternoon to get me to witness their pension claims.