July 1907

Monday 1st   It was a fine day, but on account of the absence of wind  the ground is not drying.  I painted the front gate and posts.  Minnie rode over in the morning bringing Alma with here, she left Alma here and took Agnes home.

Tuesday 2nd   It was a showery day.  In the morning I took the bullock and hauled to the wharf –
1 Crate (20) fowls
5 Cases Red Warrier Apples
I found that the “Kawau” had landed for me 1 Sack Maize, 1 Do Sharps,  1 Do Bran,  1 Box Groceries  &  1 Case Kerosene.   I hauled up the Box of Groceries,  Case of Kerosene  &  small quantity of Sharps, the roads were very heavy for hauling.

Wednesday 3rd   It was a fine day.  The wind has changed to SW and the ground is gradually drying up, but is still very wet & muddy.
In the morning I went down to clear out the Crate that the fowls are in.  The “Kawau” did not call in yesterday so the crate of fowls is still in the wharf shed.  I cleaned out the crate, put some sand in & fed them and gave them water.
In the afternoon Jane went down to the Steamer.

Thursday 4th   It was a fine day.   In the morning I was putting some cement over the concrete at the back door.
In the afternoon I went down to the wharf to feed the fowls in the crate and give them water, I did not wait until the Steamer came from Big Omaha, but she came soon after I left.
Mabel came and staid all night.  In the evening I went down for the mail and attended the Library.

Friday 5th   It was a fine day.  Mabel did the washing for Jane.
In the afternoon I took the bullock down to the wharf and hauled up a Sack of Maize.
Mabel returned home in the pm and Jane & Alma went down to Albert Wyatts for tea returning in the evening.

Saturday 6th   It was a fine day.   I was fixing the latch to the front gate .  I went down to the Store in the afternoon .  It looks as if we were going to have a change of weather.

Sunday 7th   There were a few slight showers, but nothing to wet.
I went up to Mr Handbys in the pm.

Monday 8th   It was a tolerably fine day, only a few showers.  I was cleaning out the water table up the lane leading to the stockyard.

Tuesday 9th   It was a showery day.  In the morning I went down to the Post Office and then down to the wharf.  The “Kawau” called in while I was there and several passengers went from here to Auckland.

Wednesday 10th   It was a very fine day, but very cold in the morning.  Alma walked home in the morning.  In the afternoon I was doing some concreting, Jane went down to the Steamer.

Thursday 11th   It was a showery day.  I did some cementing.  The new Steamer “Daphne” was to have made her first trip to Mangawai today, calling in here in the afternoon.  Jane went down to see her and there were others waiting, but she did not come.  In the evening I went down for the mail and also attended the Library.

Friday 12th   It was a showery day, could not do much outside.

Saturday 13th   It was very wet in the morning, but improved in  the pm.   In the morning I went down to the Post Office & to the wharf and carried up a little Sharps as it is too wet to haul.  While I was down there I heard that the “Daphne” called in yesterday from Mangawai.
Jane went to Joe Wyatts in the pm.

Sunday 14th   A showery day.  Jane staid at Joe Wyatts last night and returned home this morning,  I did not go anywhere.

Monday 15th   There was a very heavy shower in the morning, but afterwards it cleared up and the wind is blowing strong from the SW which is drying up the ground more than it dried last week.
In the morning I got the cattle that were in the front and put them on to the farm.  In the afternoon I went over to Frearsons to get some Poor Man Oranges.  I also did some concreting the other side of the store door.  Jane went down to the Steamer in the pm.

Tuesday 16th   There were only a few showers during the day.
Mrs A. Matheson came in the morning to register the birth of the child, she staid for dinner.
Walter Frearson left 15 drain pipes at the lower gate for me, I carried some of them up.
I took some Eggs down to the Store.

Wednesday 17th   It was a beautiful day.  In the morning I went down to Mathesons paddock to skin a sheep that was drowned in the creek.  While I was on the farm I saw 3 Lambs, the first of the season.
In the afternoon I did some cementing the other side of the Store door.  Jane went down to the Steamer to take the butter, she had a post card from Willie who is in Auckland saying that the “Daphne” had beat the “Kapanui” by 10 minutes last Saturday from Waiwera to Auckland.

Thursday 18th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I took the bullock down to the wharf and hauled up the remainder of the Sack of Sharps, a Fowl Crate and a Bag of Sugar from Harpers.  Emma was here for dinner and she paid the rent.    After dinner Mr Roose called, I paid him a small Act  but we did not give him an order.
Jane & I went down to the Village in the evening, to get the mail and attend to the Library.  The Annual Meeting of Subscribers to the Tennis Club was held in the Library.

Friday 19th   The wind was blowing strong from NE and there was every indication of rain , but it kept off.  I got a supply of firewood and did some concreting.

Saturday 20th   The wind is blowing a gale from NE, but we are sheltered from this wind, it turned to rain and was a real wet day.  Was not able to do anything out of doors.

Sunday 21st   It was a showery day and the wind blowing strong from E.  Jane & I did not stir out.

Monday 22nd   Showery day.  Wind still blowing strong from E. Could not do much out of doors.

Tuesday 23rd   Hardly any rain fell today.
In the morning I went down to the P.O for letters, but found that no mail has been received since last Thursday night.
Just after dinner I hear the whistle of the “Daphne” so I ran down, she was alongside of the wharf.  There were a lot of people looking over her and I went on board and had a look, she is fitted up splendidly.  I was making a dogs kennel.
Jane went to Joe Wyatts in the afternoon.

Wednesday 24th   It was a fine day.  I was making the dogs kennel, also laid some cement below the verandah.  Jane went down to the Steamer & I went down to the village in the evening to post a letter and called in to Albert Wyatts.

Thursday 25th   It was a fine day, tho’ dull and in the evening it came over very cloudy.  I finished the dogs kennel.  In the afternoon I came over very queer so Jane went down to the Library.

Friday 26th   It was a calm fine day.  In the morning I painted the kennel.  After dinner I went down to meet the “Kawau“,  Willie came up in her, he has been on a visit to Auckland a month last Wednesday.  In the evening there was a Euchre party in the evening [this should probably be ‘Hall’]   in aid of the Tennis Club, Jane & I went.

Saturday 27th   It was a fine day.  Will & I were leveling in the back yard  and putting the pipe drain in from the store door down to the gully.

Sunday 28th   It was a dull day.   Wind blowing strong from the SE.
Jane & Willie went to Ti Point, Willie returned home in the evening, but Jane staid over there at the D. Knaggs.  In the afternoon I went to Joe Wyatts.  It rained heavily & blew in the evening.

Monday 29th   It was a fine day, but the ground is very wet with the rain we had last night.  The wind is blowing strong from SE.  Willie and I were leveling the back yard and filling up the hollow.  Joe Torkington called here while we were at dinner.
Jane did not return from Ti Point.

Tuesday 30th   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie & I were levelling the back yard.  In the pm Willie went to D. Mathesons, Jane returned from Ti Point.

Wednesday 31st   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie & I dug a drain from the top side of the house across the yard into the gully and in the pm I put the socket pipes in.  In the pm Willie went to Ti Point.  Jane went to the Steamer, the “Kawau” only came from Mangawai having been detained there by the easterly weather.