August 1898

Monday 1st   It was a fine day and calm.  I was pulling up ti tree with my left hand.  The Miss Niccols & Walter Frearson came to spend the evening.

Tuesday 2nd   It was fine in the morning. but very blowey.  Took the Eggs down to the Store in the morning and then went across to John Wyatts.  Maud called here and then went down to see her grandmother.  We all went down to see the Steamer off.  Miss Jesse Niccol went away, she took some of my Chokos up to Auckland to try and sell.

Wednesday 3rd   It was very fine and calm in the morning, but the wind sprung up later on and it blew pretty strong, there were also some heavy showers of rain and hail.  I walked over to Ti Point wharf in the morning to fish, but did not catch any.

Thursday 4th   The thumb on my left hand was so sore where I had hurt it with pulling ti tree that I could do no work so I walked down to the Store in the morning and I went and had a talk with Joe Wyatt and his boys who were working at their contract on the road near
C. E. Gravatt’s.
Minnie and Mrs Ellis Dyers came over in the morning and staid for dinner, returning to Pakiri in the afternoon.
The first meeting of the confirmation class took place in the Hall at 7 pm, there were 9 present.  Miss Edit Birdsall came here for tea went down with us to the class and staid here all night.

Friday 5th   It rained nearly all day, and it also blew very strong. Ethel Birdsall went home in the afternoon.  We did not kill a Sheep.

Saturday 6th    It was still blowing very strong, but the rain cleared up a little in the afternoon,  I went to Joe Wyatts to get the key of the Hall.  I went down to the Hall in the evening, but there was no one there.  Miss Niccol & Annie Matheson were here for tea and staid all night.

Sunday 7th   It rained all morning.  I staid in bed nearly all day as I did not feel very well.  There was no service in the afternoon, I got up for tea, Alf Wyatt was here.

Monday 8th   It was a very fine day and so calm.  I was pulling ti tree in the morning and Willie and I made a fire in the front and burned up a lot of pine branches.  Willie did not go to School,

Tuesday 9th   It was a fine day, but it seems as if we were going to have bad weather again.  I took the Eggs down to the Store in the morning.  Maud was here for dinner.  We all went down to the Steamer.  I took the bullocks down to the Wharf and hauled up 4 Cwt of Blood & Bones that came up by the Steamer from Hellabys.
Jane went up to Miss Niccols in the evening to the rehearsal of a farce that is going to be acted here shortly.

Wednesday 10th   It rained nearly all day.  Mrs Neeley came in the afternoon for me to witness her signature.

Thursday 11th   It was fine in the morning and we went down to the E.R. to get a sheep for killing, however it came on to rain while we were down there and we all got wet through and it rained the remainder of the day.  We Killed the Sheep in the afternoon.

Friday 12th   It rained nearly all day, I took the mutton out in the morning while there was a spell of fine.

Saturday 13th   It rained nearly all day .  It was impossible to do any thing out of doors.

Sunday 14th   It rained in the morning, but cleared up and was a fine afternoon.   I took a walk down to the Cemetery in the afternoon.  There was no service.  Jim Dunning was here for tea.  It rained again in the evening.

Monday 15th   My birthday.  55 today.  It rained nearly all day.  I pulled up a little tea tree and planted some buffalo grass between the showers.

Tuesday 16th   It was fine all day, but it came on to rain about 3.30 pm and rained all evening.  Mr Neeley came early in the morning to get me to witness a signature.  I took the Eggs down to the Store in the morning.
There was a meeting of the Subscribers to the Medical Club on the road opposite Mr Harpers before the Steamer came in.  Mr John Greenwood Jn was nominated to represent Omaha on the Committee.

Wednesday 17th   It was a very fine day.  I cleaned the pig out in the morning and the remainder of the day I was pulling up tea tree.
Jane & Willie went over to Joe Wyatts in the evening.

Thursday 18th   It was a fine day.  I was mending up the fence round the farm orchard.  It rained in the evening.

Friday 19th   It rained in the morning, but it cleared up and was a fine day.  I went down to the Post Office in the morning, we then got a sheep up from the E.R. we killed it in the afternoon.
Walter Wyatt and his wife came in the afternoon and staid tea.

Saturday 20th   It was a fine day with the exception of a few showers.  I took the mutton out in the morning and was pulling up tea tree in the afternoon.

Sunday 21st   It was a beautiful day.  I read service in the Hall in the pm.   Annie Matheson came up here after Church and staid for tea.  Willie rode up to Mauds in the morning and staid all night.

Monday 22nd   It was a beautiful day.  Willie returned home and Maud came with him.  We all went down to the E.R. to work and took our dinner with us.  We sowed 26 Rows of Brown Spanish Onions, seed I grew myself from bulbs given me by Jos Greenwood.
Minnie came over from Pakiri and staid all night.
Ernest Wyatt and Joe Torkington were here in the evening and had a game of cards.

Tuesday 23rd   It was a fine day.  I took the Eggs down to the store in the morning.  Mr Trotter came up and had a look at some young cattle I had to sell.  He bought 5 head for £9 . 10 . 0.   Mr Trotter had dinner here.
We went down to the Steamer and after she went out Mr Greenwood,  D. Kempt  &  I went and passed the new road that Joe Wyatt has just finished near C. Gravatts.
After that Willie & I got the cattle in to the E.R. and drafted out the 5 head I sold to Mr Trotter and joined the others he had bought at the Koeroa bridge, we helped him with them nearly to Punga Creek.
Miss Niccol had a young lady help up by the steamer named Miss Mitchell.   Jane went up there in the evening to the rehearsal.
The Miss Fordhams called in the evening and paid the Acount for Mutton.

Wednesday 24th   It was a fine day.  I planted a seedling Peach in the farm orchard, afterwards I went down to the E.R. and sowed another row of Onions, making 27 rows, also 2 rows of White Stone Turnip and some Radishes and Cabbage Seed.
Mrs Charlie Wyatt was here for dinner.
In the afternoon I planted 1 each of the following fruit trees.
Black Mulberry, Negaska Loquat, Rivers Orange Nectarine.
It rained in the evening.

Thursday 25th    It rained nearly all day.   I went down to Charlie Wyatts in the afternoon to post some letters.

Friday 26th   It was a fine day.  We got a Sheep up from the E.R. in the morning and killed it in the pm.  Miss Niccol had a party at her house in the evening,  Jane and Willie went.
There was a meeting of Subscribers to the Library at the Library in the evening and it was unanimously decided to join the Road Board in erecting a building in the Village of Leigh to be used as a Library and a Road Board Office.

Saturday 27th   It was a dull day and threatened, but it did not rain.
I took the mutton out in the morning and then got ½ Cwt Kumeras from Tom,  Tom was very bad and he sent for the new Doctor, who said it was enlargement of the liver.
There was a meeting of the Road Board in the afternoon .
Jane was ill in bed with cold & cough.

Sunday 28th  It was a fine day.  I read service in the Hall in the afternoon, there were only 10 present.  I went to C. Gravatts in the evening.

Monday 29th   It was a fine day.  I was pruning in the farm orchard morning & afternoon.  I took the Eggs down to the Store in the evening, afterwards went to Tom Wyatts who is very ill with enlargement of the liver.  He wished me to make his will as he is going to Auckland tomorrow to go into the Hospital.
Mrs Selwood was staying at Toms but the “Kawau” is going to call in for her to night to take her to Mangawai.

Tuesday 30th   It was a fine day, but there was a heavy shower in the afternoon when we were at the Steamer.  I made out Tom Wyatts will in the morning and took it over for him to sign.  Joe’s wife and I were the witnesses.
Willie got some flax and we packed a bundle of 11 Sheepskins and hauled them down to the wharf .  Mrs Smith & family went by the Steamer, they have sold their place at Ti Point and are leaving the district.  I had 2 Bags Flour & 1 Sack Sharps down by the Steamer, I hauled the 2 Bags Flour up to the house .
Miss Niccol & Miss Mitchell came for tea and staid the evening.

Wednesday 31st   There were several showers during the day.  I hauled up 1 Sack Sharps up from the wharf, also some old wooden tram rails that I bought from the Road Board.
In the afternoon commenced to make a little fowl yard in the stock yard.

The Fowls laid 583 Eggs during the month of August  =  48 Doz & 7
Valued at   £1 . 6 . 5