November 1920

Monday 1st   It was a fine day.  I sowed a row of Stratagem Peas and prepared a trench for another row.  Jim was ploughing.

Tuesday 2nd   It was a fine day.  In the morning I took up 500 Onion plants and took them down for Wil Harper, took Mrs Willie some Roses & got the mail.  Willena & Ivy drove up to John Greenwoods to spend [?] the day.
In the pm I sowed a 2nd row of Stratagem Peas, also 6 Hills of Perfect Gem Squash.   Jim was ploughing.

Wednesday 3rd   It was a showery day.  Jim was ploughing.  I was working in the flower garden, digging it over again and breaking lumps.  Wrote a letter to Grace and posted it in the afternoon.  Went down to meet the steamer, it was the “Kotiti“, she did not arrive until 6.30 pm.  I got the mail.

Thursday 4th   There were a few showers,  Jim was ploughing.  I planted 2 Pansies & 1 Marigold.  Cut grass on the paths in the pm.

Friday 5th   It was a fine day.  Went down to the Hall in the morning to take some flowers, helped to put up the stalls and arranged the seats for the bazaar this evening, cut grass on the path .  Jim finished ploughing in the front, went down for the mail in the evening.  All of us went to the presbyterian bazaar in the evening which was a great success.  I believe they cleared over £50.   It was a very dark night and it rained as we were coming home.

Saturday 6th   It rained early in the morning, but it cleared up and turned out a fine day.  I wrote a letter to Jane who is staying at Wallaces at Devonport and went down to post it in the morning, took Mrs Dunning some sweet peas.  After dinner I went up to the garden and resowed the Canadian Wonder beans, and then I went down to the tennis court to witness a match between Leigh & Pakiri clubs,  the former won.
I had tea at the hall.  There was a dance in the evening, but I came home.

Sunday 7th   It was a fine day, but rather dull.  Went up to the garden before breakfast and got some flowers and took them down to the church in the morning.  I conducted service in the church in the afternoon, there were 14 present,  Collection 8/4.  It came on to rain when we came out of church.
Maggie & Mrs Gozar were here for dinner and for tea the number was increased by Mr & Mrs A. L. Greenwood.

Monday 8th   It was a fine day.  I went up to the garden in the morning to get some flowers, but as the day advanced I became very unwell and towards the evening it developed into Pleurisy (inflamation of the covering of the lungs).

Tuesday 9th & Wednesday 10th   Was much worse and remained in bed.  Eddie was very attentive and put a hot bottle to my back and cold cloths to my chest, the pains I sometimes were excruciating.
I had a very interesting book I was reading, so the time did not seem so long.

Thursday 11th   I felt a little better today so I got out of bed and had all my meals with the others, but there was a cold wind blowing and I dare not go outside.  Jim has been carting metal since Tuesday.  In the afternoon Mr A. Dunning and several girl tennis players came to practice tennis for the match on Saturday, we had afternoon tea outside.  Mr Dunning staid the evening and we played 4 handed Cribbage.
Wrote a letter to Henry & also one to Willie & Mr Dunning was to post them for me.

Friday 12th   It was a fine day, but very windy.  I felt much better, but I would not venture out in the wind.  I received a letter from Jane, she is staying at Wallaces at Devonport, and was leaving for Te Araroa with Lily by the “Mako“.  She told me that Henry was to be married on December 2nd to Miss Blennerhassett.

Saturday 13th   With the exception of a few slight showers it was a fine day, but very windy.  I did not venture outside.
Arthur Greenwood came to see how I was in the afternoon and brought some books to read.  There was a Tennis match on these courts in the afternoon between Leigh & Warkworth A teams.

Sunday 14th   It was a very windy day.  Revd Poole held service in the hall,  Eddie & Ivy attended,  Jim & I staid home.  Angus & Dolly were here for dinner & tea & in the afternoon they went up to the old home & brought back a lot of flowers .  Minnie came to see me in the afternoon.

Monday 15th   It was not blowing quite so hard as yesterday, wind still SW.  Jim as carting metal.  Eddie & Ivy were clearing out the house at Collingwood.  I was feeling much better so I put on an overcoat and went up to the garden , found the sweet peas blown about with the wind & 2 Tomatoes broken off.  I planted an Aquilegia and pricked out into boxes, Zinnias,  Phloxes and Stocks.

Tuesday 16th   It rained a little when we got up in the morning , but it turned out a fine day.   After breakfast I went down to the P.O to get the mail, paid my Land Tax 17/6.  Went to Arthur Greenwoods to change my Library books,  called at Mrs Gravatts.  In the afternoon I went up to the garden.  I pricked out some Pyrethrim  plants.  Cut some grass on the paths.  Jim was carting metal.

Wednesday 17th   It rained last night and early this morning, but it afterwards turned out a fine day.  Eddie & Jim rode to Pakiri and brought home a cow & calf.  Jim carted in the pm.  Ivy & Jessie drove to the Claim to spend the day.  I cut some grass on the paths up in the garden.  Later in the afternoon I went down to meet the steamer.
Arthur Torkington & his wife came up by her.  Arthur has for some years been living at Johannesberg, South Africa & got married there, he is only here on a visit to see his father & brothers.
Received two letters, one from Mrs Blennerhassett inviting me to Henrys wedding which is to take place on Dec 2nd,  also one from Mr Elliott, Solicitor stating that the balance of the purchase money  £1600 was waiting for me at his office.

Thursday 18th   Rained again last night and early this morning, but cleared up and was a hot day.
I wrote to Mrs Blennerhassett accepting invitation to Henry and her daughter’s wedding.  Also to Mr Elliott, Solicitor.  Posted these letters in the morning.  Called at J. C. Wyatts & Jim Gozars.  Afterwards went up to the garden & finished cutting grass on the paths .  In the evening I attended a meeting to see about handing over the patriotic money  to the Auckland organisation & it was agreed to do so.  Jim was carting metal, the wharf hill is now being metalled.

Friday 19th   It was a fine day.  There was a parade of the Rodney mounted Rifles.  Eddie & Sergeart McNamara drilling them.  I took my lunch up to the garden and working there all day.  I planted out a lot of young plants.  Went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 20th    Wind from NW inclined to be showery.  Went up to the garden morning & afternoon , resowed the Canadian Wonder Beans, also the Red Beet, dug between the beans, came on to rain heavier in the afternoon.

Sunday 21st   It was a very showery day.  Revd Richards was to have held service in the Hall in the afternoon, but none of us went.

Monday 22nd   It was a fine day, but windy.  Jim was carting metal, they have finished metalling the wharf hill down to the bridge.
After breakfast I carried some manure up to the garden, picked some sweet peas and took them down to Mrs W. Harper ,  posted some letters and then carried some sand across to the wharf and Jim carted it up for me.  I stuck the 2 rows of Stratagem Peas.

Tuesday 23rd   It was a very fine day.  I commenced to dig the piece of ground between the Stratagem Peas and the Sweet Peas.  Jim was carting metal up the hill.  I went to Mr A. Dunnings in the evening and we played four handed Cribbage.

Wednesday 24th   It was a very fine day.  I dug all the Silver beet out, dug the ground and then dug out a trench and put a lot of horse manure in it and covered it in ready for planting Homestead Beans.
Jim was carting with a horse & dray at the quarry at Koreroa creek.

Thursday 25th   It was a very fine day.  I wrote a letter to Willie and took it down to the steamer to post it.  Mr & Mrs Sutton who have sold their farm left by the steamer.  After breakfast I went up to the garden and sowed a double row of Homestead beans .  In the afternoon I finished digging the piece of ground between the Stratagem & Sweet peas and prepared the ground near the summer house to plant the Dahlias.  Jim was carting metal from the quarry at Koeroa creek to Ti Point School.

Friday 26th   It was a very hot day.  I planted 5 Dahlia roots that had shot, dug & broke up the remainder of the ground intended to be planted in Dahlias.  Dug up each side of the Stratagem peas.
The annual picnic of the Bible Class has held today.  I went down for the mail and had tea in the hall, but did not go in evening.

Saturday 27th   It was a fine day.  Before breakfast I went up to the garden & picked a bunch of flowers to give to the Captain of the “Kawau“,  I embarked on the “Kawau” bound for Auckland.  Minnie & I were going up for Henry’s wedding.  Mrs Harper and Arthur Greenwood were also passengers.  We arrived at Auckland at 3.45 and I immediately went across to Devonport,  Mr Wallace met me at the wharf and we took a waggonette up to his home where I received a warm welcome.

Sunday 28th   It was a fine day.  Mrs Wallace & I attended service at Trinity Church in the morning,  after dinner I went across to Auckland to meet Henry who came up the coast by the “Mararoa“. Miss Elsie Blennerhassett was also down meeting him, they went up to Parnell in a car, but I went up to Ponsonby to see Willie & Grace in their new home.  Minnie & Agnes came in the afternoon and we all went down to John Smith’s place, returned to Willie’s place and staid the night.

Monday 29th   It was a fine day.  I went across to Auckland in the morning, I met Henry at 11 am and we went about together and dined at the Strand.  Went to Mr Elliotts Office about the purchase money of the farm, but he was away at Rotorua, so I could not do any business, returned to Devonport by the 3 pm boat.

Tuesday 30th   St Andrews Day.  It rained early this morning, but turned out a fine day.  It was a Bank Holiday, so Alma was home and so she, her mother & Mrs Gordon W.  went out for the day.  I went across to town in the afternoon, bought a present for Miss Blennerhassett and took it up to St George’s Bay road, found Henry there, we came away together and I returned to the Shore.