February 1929

Friday 1st   It was a fine day, but threatening for rain.  I gave the 2nd row of homestead beans a good watering.

Saturday 2nd   It was fine during the day .  There was a cricket match at Matakana,  Omaha  V  the local club, Harry Ashton very kindly took Jane and me in his car.  The others went in Tom Ashton’s lorry.
I went to have a yarn with Mr Richards, also went to consult Dr Whetter.
Matakana batted first and made 71 runs.  W. Dunning made 38 runs not out.  E. Y. Campbell 17 runs.  J. Torkington bowled 6 wickets, A. R. Dunning 2,  J. Dunning 1.
Omaha batter next and made 178 runs.  E. Wyatt made 41 runs,  A. R. Dunning 65 runs,  J Wyatt 15,  R. Harper 31.
Matakana 2nd innings made 138 runs,  W. Dunning made 35 runs,  E. Y. Campbell 34.  C. Matthew 19,  J. Matthew 15,  D. Knaggs 14.  R. Harper took 5 wickets.  A. R. D. 2,   J. D.  1,  J. T.  1.

Sunday 3rd   It rained a little after we came home last night and during the night, but very little rain fell as the ground was quite dry this morning, and it was a very fine day.  Mrs Birdsall Snr  &  Mrs John Greenwood and Dolley’s two girls came up in the morning, had a look at all the gardens & Jane gave them morning tea.  There was no service here to day.

Monday 4th   It was a fine day.  I sent a sample of my water to Dr Whetter and he sent me a bottle of medicine in the afternoon.
I took Dolly some beans and borrowed some papers.  Jane gave my 2nd double row of Homestead beans a good soaking of water in the evening.

Tuesday 5th   It was a fine day.  I wrote a letter to Mr Elliott remingihis  [sic: reminding]  of Interest due.  Also wrote letters to Jack and Lily, also sent a Weekly News.   These will be posted tomorrow.

Wednesday 6th   It was a fine day.  I went down to Pats to take her  [sic: Dolly]   the last of the Peas.  Also to return the papers I borrowed & to borrow others.
The Harry Ellises,  Alf Rayners & Chittys were picnicing  at the Domain,  Jane joined them in the pm.

Thursday 7th   There was a slight shower last night, but not enough to do any good .
Mrs Jas  & Mrs Tom Ashton came to spend the day.  Mrs Jas had not been here for 16 years.

Friday 8th   It was a fine day.  We heard this morning that Ralf Mieklejohn. eldest son of Lewis Meiklejohn had died last night of cancer.  Jean who has been helping Mrs Jim Wyatt returned home for good.  Received a cheque from Elliott & Holden for £9 . 10 . 0
in payment of interest to 6th December 1928.

Saturday 9th   It was a very fine day.  Warkworth show today.  Jim, Jane  &  Jean went in Tom Ashtons lorry.  Hector, Mildred and I were left at home.  I took Dolly down some beans.

Sunday 10th   It was a very fine day.  Ralf Meiklejohn was buried to day at the Matakana cemetery at 1.30 pm,  Jim & Jane went in Tom Ashton’s lorry .  Revd Yule had held service in the hall in the morning.
I went to Leigh in Mr Hart’s car as he was going to hold service in the morning.  Dr Chisholm accompanied Mr Hart, he was sent to Warkworth in temporary charge of the Hospital on the death of Dr East.  He seems a fine young fellow.  I first called on Mrs Gravatt who has been serived  [?]  ill,  Mrs Harper was there.  I next went to Mr Archie Dunnings where I had dinner.  Mr & Mrs Chas Dunning were staying there, all of them went to the funeral, so I stayed there reading until church time.  Revd Hart had service at 2.30, there was a fair congregation,  Collection 13/9.  I returned home in Mr Harts car, I had left a bag of vegetables in Jim Ds cream box.

Monday 11th    It was a very fine day.  I was very surprized and shocked to here of the death of my old friend George Wallace of Big Omaha who passed away at 9 pm last night,  he has been ailing a short time, but I did not think it serious.  His sons Gordon & Ken came from Auckland last night.  I shall miss my old friend very much, as he and Mrs Wallace are the best friends I have ever had.

Tuesday 12th   It was a very fine day.  Mr Wallace was buried at Matakana cemetery at 2.30 this afternoon.  The first part of the service was held in the house , Revd Yule officiated, many beautiful wreaths were placed on the grave, the Manager of the Gas Co and other friends in Auckland sent beautiful wreaths in glass shades.
Grace,  Mr Ws brother from Te Aroha and other relations came from Auckland to the funeral.  Jim & Jane went in Pats lorry.  Mr & Mrs W. Dunning and Mr & Mrs C. Dunning called here after the funeral and had a look at the garden, the latter staid for tea,  Grace also came here and staid all night.

Wednesday 13th   It was a fine day.  Grace returned to Auckland to day,  she and Jane went in Pat’s lorry as far as the store and then walked to Big Omaha, called at L. Whitakers,  Grace went to Kaipara Flats in the service car,  Mrs Wallace is living at Laurence Whitakers, and she intends selling her place.  I took some beans down to Dolly.

Thursday 14th   It was a very fine day.  Mr Tucker who had been mowing the grass in the domain came here for dinner.  I was busy writing obituary notices of Mr Wallace and bereavement letters to Mrs W.

Friday 15th   It was a very fine day.   Hector   It was a very fine day.  Hector was not very well so he was lying down.
Mr & Mrs Harry Ellis came in the morning and staid the night.

Saturday 16th   It was a very fine day.  Matakana Show.  Harry Ellis took Jim, Jane, Mildred & me in his car to the Show.  Hector and Jean went in T. Ashton’s lorry.  We had a picnic under the trees with the Wm  Dunnings.  I met a lot of old friends.  There were a great number of people present .  The live stock were very good also the exhibits in the hall.

Sunday 16th   Another fine day.  Harry & Mrs Ellis took Jim, Jane, Mildred & me in their car to Day’s Bay.  Hector & Jean staid at home.  Alf Rayner & family in their car joined us, also Ernest Cruickshank & wife from Tuakau in their car.  also,  Jes Chitty & wife from the Tongue farm in their farm also joined us.
We were a very large party for lunch.  There is a very nice sandy beach here.  Mr Jack Day has a very snug homestead near the beach, and Archie Custians homestead is in the same bay.  There were several other cars there, and there  [were]  people playing tennis and bathing in the sea.

Monday 17th   It was a very fine day.  Henry & Mrs Ellis took Jim, Jane & Jean in their car to picnic at Goat Island.  Hector and I remained at home.

Tuesday 18th   It was a very fine day.  There was a Matakana picnic in the domain, a quantity of children, parents and friends came in a number of cars, they had lunch & tea in the hall.  There were races and games for the children and many bathed.  We took down our lunch and  [had]  it under the trees with the W. Dunnings.  The Ellis’ went down and had lunch with us and in the afternoon they went home in their car.  I had a talk with Hughie Thompson and also with Mr E. Richards.

Wednesday 19th  It was very dull in the morning and threatening for rain, but it cleared up and was a fine day.
The Wellsford Show was today.  Mrs J. Greenwood was a judge, and Irwin showed his sheep.  I went down to Pats to take some beans and to get a book and borrow a paper.

Thursday 20th   It was very dull in the morning, but it turned out a very fine day.  There was a cricket match at Warkworth,  a team was coming from Auckland to play a team picked from the various clubs in Rodney County,  the match was supposed to start at 10 am,  all of us went in Tom Ashton’s lorry starting from here soon after 9 am and got to the ground before 10.  The local players were present.  The Aucklanders started to come in cars, but they had a break down this side of Puhoi, so the match did not start until nearly 12 oclock.
Auckland batted first and made 144 runs, Bowley the English coach was one of them.  Rodney made 190 runs.  N. Vipond made 53,  T  Came 25 and Mumford 20.
The Association entertained the cricketers to lunch & tea in the  [blank space]   and asked me to join them.  There was a great crowd who came in cars to watch the game.  I met many old friends and spent a very pleasant day.  We did not arrive at home until 6.30 pm.

Friday 22nd   It was a very dry day.   May Dunning came up from Auckland by train today, she came to stay here.  As the Leigh show is tomorrow we were busy getting exhibits ready.  Jim  [took]  a lot of them to Leigh in Pats lorry.

Saturday 23rd    It was a very fine day.  The Diamond Jubilee of the Omaha & Pakiri Show was held at Leigh today.  Pat Dunning took all of us and the remainder of our exhibits in Jack Walden’s lorry.
Live stock was cut out this year and in its place were three chopping competitions under the superintendance of Mr Hardy,  the 1st prize of £10 for the 14 inch chop was won by Mr Hastie.   The exhibits in the hall were numerous and of good quality , we missed the exhibits of fruit usually shown by Ernie Wyatt and Mr Whitaker who have died during the year.  Mr J. Morrison judged the field and produce , also flowers,  Mr S. Smith judged the fruit, Mrs J. Morrison judged the preserves and cookery,  Mrs A. Warin judged the needlework.
Jim, Jane, Jean and Mildred exhibited and gained prizes.  I put in 5 exhibits but did not get a prize.  I wished to exhibit today as I am the only one alive who exhibited at the first show 60 years ago (1869).
Meals were supplied at the hotel and at Ab Wyatts boarding house.
I had dinner at Ab Wyatts and tea at Mrs Arch Dunnings,  Jane, Mildred, May D  and I returned home with Pat in the lorry,  Jim, Jean and Hector remained for the dance.

Sunday 24th    It was a very fine day.  The body of young Donaldson who was drowned off Leigh harbour on Sunday 23rd December was picked up floating outside Leigh Harbour a few days ago  [and]  was placed in a coffin and taken to Warkworth to be buried in the Anglican cemetery.   Revd Hart was to conduct the service, so there was no service here.   Jane and May  [went]  to L. Whitakers at Big Omaha, and Laurence brought them home in his car.

Monday 25th   It was a very fine day.  Hector was hauling firewood.  Mr Perks was down at Pats in the pm.  I went down.

Tuesday 26th   It was a very fine day.  Mrs Evans, her twin children & her two sisters came in the afternoon,  afterwards Alf Dunning came in this car and brought his two sisters Ivy and Ini  –  Jane gave them afternoon tea,  when they were gone, Jane and May went to Whitakers.

Wednesday 27th   It was a very fine day.  I was shelling beans and making bags to put them in.  Jean went as assistant at Mr T. H. Walden’s store.

Thursday 28th   It was a very fine day.  I was shelling beans  & peas and putting them away.