February 1906

Thursday 1st   It was a fine day.  In the morning we picked a few cases of fruit and in the afternoon we hauled them down to the wharf.  A great quantity of fruit was shipped by the “Rob Roy”, we hauled up a load of fruit cases, also a bag of Sugar I got at Harpers.

Friday 2nd   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie went over to Ti Point to fish, he caught 26 schnappers, he did not get home till late at night bringing a few fish with him.  I was digging out weeds in the orchard.
Jane & Miss Coplestone went down to Tennis in the evening.  I went down and as Mr Boyd was not over I attended to the Library.

Saturday 3rd   It was a fine day.  Willie went away after breakfast to go shooting with Rob Rogers to Tamahunga.
Willie Dunning came after lunch with a spare horse, and he, Jane and Miss Coplestone rode over to Pakiri to witness a Tennis Match between the Kia Ora and Pakiri Clubs.  We heard afterwards that Kia Ora won.

Sunday 4th   There were several showers.  Willie walked over to Ti Point in the morning and Jane and Miss Coplestone went over in the afternoon, they all returned late at night, and Mrs Harold Torkington came with them.  Revd C. Griffin held service in the afternoon, I went.

Monday 5th   It was a fine day.  I was not at all well and unable to do much work.  Willie was picking Orleans Plums in the farm orchard, Jane and Miss Coplestone were helping to pick in the morning.  The girls, including Mrs H. Torkington, went down to the Goat Island beach after tea & they went down to Tennis and afterwards they went part the way home with Mrs Harold.  Willie hauled 7 Cases Orleans Plums down to the wharf in the evening and hauled up a few empty cases.

Tuesday 6th   There were some heavy showers in the afternoon.  Willie was picking Orleans in the farm orchard.  The girls went to spend the day afternoon with May Dunning, afterwards went to the Tennis, but it was too wet to play so they went to Mrs Archie Dunnings to spend the evening.

Wednesday 7th   It was a fine day.  We were picking fruit in the morning and hauled it down to the wharf in the afternoon.  The Steamer left Auckland two hours late so she was late in arriving here.  We hauled up the remainder of our fruit cases, also a fowl crate.  The girls went out with Willie fishing to the Maori Island and Willie caught a large schnapper.

Thursday 8th   The wind is blowing strong from the E which has raised a rough sea.  We got up early as Miss Coplestone is going away by the steamer, we were down at the wharf by 8 am, the advertised time of departure of the “Rob Roy“, but it was 10 am before she left here, having to put a lot of fruit on board, they would have a rough passage.

Saturday 10th   It had rained heavily yesterday.  There was a Tennis Match at Pakiri between Omaha & Kia Ora Clubs,  I rode over to witness the match,  Omaha won all the sets.
The weather has been very disagreeable, the wind was very strong and the dust was blowing in clouds.  After the match I had tea in the Hall and I rode up to see Mr H. Brown and then went up to Mr Dales where I staid all night.

Sunday 11th   It was a fine day, but the wind is still blowing hard.  Mr Dale has a crushed foot, so Mrs Dale showed me round the place,  I bid them good bye and rode down to Mr Browns and then on to the Hall where Revd F. Latter held service.  After service Mr L.   &   I rode with Mr & Mrs  John Greenwood up to their place where we had lunch, and then Mr Latter  &  I rode down to this Hall and Mr Latter conducted service again.

Monday 12th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I went down to the store and there I was given a Telegram from Fred Simpson saying that he was coming in the Steamer today, so in the pm Willie & I took the horse down to the wharf to meet the Steamer and Fred rode up on the horse.

Tuesday 13th   It was a fine day.   Mr W. Dumper Jnr came to stay here bringing a horse with him lent by Mr Joe Harper, Pakiri to use while he is staying here.  We picked some fruit and hauled it down to the wharf in the afternoon, as we have no more cases at the wharf we hauled some stones up to our gate-way.

Wednesday 14th   There were several showers during the day.
Matakana Show today.  Mr Dumper and Jane rode over to it , Fred Simpson walked to Ti Point.
I went down to meet the Steamer in the afternoon.

Thursday 15th   It was a fine day.  We were picking fruit in the morning and we hauled it down to the wharf in the pm.  Hauled up a Sack of Maize and a Sack of Bran that came by the Steamer yesterday.

Friday 16th   It was a fine day.  Mr Dumper went down to the P.O in the morning and got our mails which came by the Steamer early this morning.  We picked some Bonne Chretien Pears, Willie hauled them down to the wharf in the pm and hauled up another Sack of Maize and a Sack of Sharps.
I continued picking Bonne Chretiens.  Mr Dumper rode to Pakiri in the afternoon to be ready to start for Port Albert tomorrow morning to be present at the Tennis Matches between Pakiri & Port Albert Clubs.

Saturday 17th   It was a fine day.  Willie went fishing to Ti Point.  Jane and I rode to Matakana to witness a Tennis Match between Omaha and Matakana.  Omaha won all the sets except the ladies singles.  I had dinner at Mr Jack Cruickshanks, the club gave us tea on the ground.  I came home after the match was over,  Jane and the other young people staid for the dance.

Sunday 18th   There were a few showers in the morning.  Willie walked to Ti Point.  In the afternoon I took the horse down to the beach that I borrowed to go to Matakana on yesterday.  Fred returned from Ti Point in the afternoon.

Monday 19th   It was a fine day.  Mr Dumper returned from Pakiri.
We were picking Pears

Tuesday 20th   It was a fine day.  Mr Dumper rode to Takatu Point to try and do some business there.

Wednesday 21st

Sunday 25th   Mr & Mrs  Jn Cruickshank and Malcolm drove over from Matakana to spend the day,  Jack returned home in the afternoon, but Mrs Jack and Malcolm staid with us until after the Show.

Monday 26th  Mr John Greenwood was down this way in his trap, he came up here for tea, and he took Mrs Jack & boy up to his place to stay.

Tuesday 27th   We were getting a few exhibits together for the show.  Mr John Greenwood brought Mrs Jack  C.  &  boy down the hill.

Wednesday 28th   It was a fine day.  The Annual Show was held today.  The show both inside and out was very good, but the attendance was not so good as on other occasions,  Jack Cruickshank and a cousin rode over to the show, they were up here to lunch.
The concert was very fair,  got up by Mr W. Purcell, Mr M.   Mr Kirkbride was chairman in the absence of our member Mr Mander who was attending Maungatoroto Show.