May 1924

Thursday 1st   Morning fine, showers in pm.  First day of shooting season, Jim was out all day and only got 1 pheasant.  I continued trenching the piece of ground I started on Monday.

Friday 2nd   Weather fine in the morning, I continued trenching the piece of ground.  Eileen Torkington came while we were at dinner she is staying at Wilsons, she said Mrs Addison wished to see me, so I went in the afternoon, coming home it rained heavily & I got wet.  Pat dined here in the evening & we played 500.

Saturday 3rd   It was fine in the morning, I went to Mr Whitakers to get some strawberry plants; also continued digging, Pat dined here in the evening afterwards we pealed apples for bottling & played 500.  It came on to rain again in the evening.

Sunday 4th   It was a fine day, but a bitterly cold wind was blowing all day.
I conducted service in the hall in the afternoon for Mr Addenbrooke, only 9 present.  The Redwoods came in their motor car bringing
Mrs W, Meiklejohn , Bowden & his wife, Jane, Hector & Jean.  Collection 6/-

Monday 5th    The Sixty First Anniversary of my leaving England.  It was a fine day.  I finished digging the piece of ground I started this day week, and then I did something to the onion beds.  Pat dined here and we played 500.

Tuesday 6th   It was a very fine day.  I was preparing the beds for onions.

Wednesday 7th   It was a very fine day.  I finished preparing the onion beds, and made a trench and filled it with manure for planting cauliflowers.  Jane went to the shop in the am,  Mabel & Mrs Guy Ashton came in the afternoon.

Thursday 8th   It was a very fine day.  We were all up early this morning as Jane, Hector & Jean are going to Auckland for a holiday. Jim drove them to the top wharf.  I sowed slag on the onion beds & raked it in.  Planted 12 Cauliflowers next to the strawberries.  Pat dined here and we played 500.

Friday 9th   It was a very fine day.  Jim went to the Loan Sale at Warkworth.  The School broke up today for a fortnight’s holidays, so Jean is now home to keep house for us.
I sowed the two beds with Onions, 27 rows in one bed and 29 in the other, also sowed 2 rows of Carrots next the Eschallots.
Pat dined here and we played Cribbage, Jean joining in, I gave Pat a parcel of Bulbs to take to Mrs Williams as he is carting goods to Matakana tomorrow.

Saturday 10th   It was a very wet day.  Was not able to do anything out of doors.  Received a letter from Henry who was in Auckland containing a cheque for £16 . 5 ,  being being interest for 1 Quarter to Feby 28th.  Jim & Pat went out shooting, but got nothing.  Pat dined here in the evening and we played Cribbage.

Sunday 11th   It was very fine in the morning, Pat was driving in the waggon up to Mrs John Greenwoods to bring Dolly home so I went along with Pat as far as Mr Stewarts where I got out, had dinner there and in the afternoon all of us went down to the Church , I conducted service, there were 37 present, Collection 13/3.  I returned home in the waggon with Pat & Dolly. Spent a very pleasant day.

Monday 12th   It was a fine day.  I planted 13 Cabbage plants.

Tuesday 13th   It was a fine day.  I pulled up all the Red Beets and planted 14 Cauliflower plants.

Wednesday 14th   It was a very fine day, there was only a slight shower in the afternoon.  In the morning I planted 6 large Brown Spanish Onions for seed.  In the afternoon I went down to Pats to tidy up their flower garden.  In the evening Jim drove Pat over to Leigh to attend a football meeting,  Jean went down to stay with Dolly.
Jim shot 2 cock Pheasants and sent them by the steamer to Mr Wallace.

Thursday 15th   It was a fine day.  I sowed a long row of Daisy Peas.

Friday 16th    It blew a hurricane all day accompanied with driving showers, was not able to do anything outside, so I made a three handed Cribbage Board.  Eileen Torkington came in the afternoon to stay with Jean.

Saturday 17th   It was a very stormy day, it was blowing a hurricane and raining.  Were not able to do anything outside.

Sunday 18th   It was a very fine day,  ‘tho cold, as the wind has changed to the SW.  Jim Wyatt usually drives to Big Omaha every Sunday to bring Elva Gravatt home who is staying at Mr Redwoods, so I went along with Jim to Big Omaha to attend a service conducted by Revd Thornley, after service Mrs Redwood invited me to dinner, and I spent a very pleasant day there & Mr R very kindly brought me home in his car.  In my absence Jim and Jean were invited to Pats for dinner.

Monday 19th   It was a very fine day.  Jean went to spend the day at Mr Redwoods.  In the morning I cleared some ground near the garden gate,  in the afternoon I went down to do some gardening for Dolly.

Tuesday 20th    It was a fine day.  In the morning I dug the piece of ground near the garden gate.  In the pm I went to fix up Mrs Addison’s pension claim, afterwards did some gardening for Dolly. Mrs Whitaker called in my absence.

Wednesday 21st   It was a fine day.  In the morning I was weeding Jane’s garden .  In the afternoon I was doing some gardening for Dolly, planted some bulbs & Canterbury bells.  Jim drove over to Leigh thinking that Jane & the children might be returning from town, but she did not come.

Thursday 22nd   It rained nearly all day.  We were not able to do anything out of doors.

Friday 23rd   It is still raining & blowing strong from NE.  Were not able to do anything outside.  We were pleased to get the mail in the evening.  Received a letter from Jane, also Grace.

Saturday 24th   It was raining last night and early this morning, but it cleared up, the ground was very wet and I could not do anything outside.  Jim & Pat went in Jack’s car in the afternoon to a football match between Omaha & Matakana, the latter won.

Sunday 25th   It was fine in the morning. ‘tho dull.  Jim, Jean & I spent the day down at Pats.  It came on to rain in the afternoon , we came home before it was dark, but we got wet.

Monday 26th   It was a wet day and the wind was blowing a hurricane, we could no do anything outside, the school started today, but on account of the weather Jean did not go.

Tuesday 27th   It was a fine day, but everything very wet outside and water lying in pools.  Jean went to school after the holidays.  In the afternoon I did some gardening for Dolly.

Wednesday 28th   It was a very fine day, but water was everywhere lying on the ground on account of the quantity of rain we have had lately.  After breakfast I went round for the mail.  In the afternoon Jim & I drove round to the top wharf as we were expecting Jane & children back by the steamer, when we got there we heard that there was no steamer today.  The SS “Kawau” could not into Mangawai on account of the rough sea, so she was returning to town and would be leaving Auckland tomorrow at 9 am for here.  The SS “Waipu” that should have come here today is most likely weather bound somewhere.

Thursday 29th   It was a fine day, Jim & I drove round to the upper wharf to meet the steamer in the afternoon,  Jane, Hector and Mildred came back in her, it was the SS “Kawau“, Eddie Wann was captain as Captain Olsen is away on holiday.  We were very glad to get Jane home again.

Friday 30th   It was fine in the morning.  Jane brought me some Cineraria & Pansy plants, so I planted them in my garden in the morning.  In the afternoon I went round to Mr Whitakers to return some books I borrowed,  Mrs W was the only one at home.

Saturday 31st   It was fine in the morning, but rained heavily in the afternoon.