March 1896

Sunday 1st   It was a fine day.   I rode over to Dacres Claim in the morning to service,  Rev J. Haselden conducted service.
Mr Haselden & Mr Sheppard returned with me and they had dinner here.  Mr Haselden held service in the Hall in the afternoon, there were 60 present and the offeratory  14/6 .   Charlie Gravatt, John Salt and Honour Wyatt were here for tea.

Monday 8th   It was a fine day.  I read service in the Hall in the pm.
I walked up to Mr Handbys after service and had tea there.

Wednesday 11th   The Show was held today and was a great success.   We had the Otamatea Native Band who played during the day and also for the dances in the evening.  Mr & Mrs Fred Woodcock and  Mrs  Jas  Smith came home here to sleep and had breakfast.

Saturday 14th   There was a meeting of the Show Committee at this house in the evening.

Sunday 15th   Revd R. McKinney held service in the Hall in the pm.  There was a very large congregation.  Mr Matthew Kirkbride,  Miss Hardings,  Miss McGill  &  Jas  Dunning came here for tea.

Wednesday 18th   I went to Auckland in the “Rose Casey“.  There were a good many passengers.  I put up at Mrs Bowens.

Thursday 19th   I was busy in the town all day.  I went up to the Hospital to see the Doctor about my poisoned finger .
I called at Mrs Hardings in Grafton Road in the evening.

Friday 20th   I was about town all day.  Went to Mrs Hardings for dinner.  Went to a Magic Lantern Entertainment at the Sailors home in the evening.

Saturday 21st   I went out to Pukekohe by the 8.30 excursion train to attend the South Franklin Show.  Met several old friends there and enjoyed a very pleasant day  –  left Pukekohe at 5.30 arriving in Auckland at 7.30  –  Met Mr Robinson the Caretaker of the Little Barrier and he & I went to a variety entertainment at the City Hall.

Sunday 22nd   Mr Robinson & I went to St Pauls Church  in the morning.  I went to Mr Fletchers in the pm and had tea there,  in the evening I went to St Matthews Church and afterwards to the City Hall to the Evangalistic Service.

Monday 23rd   I was busy all day shopping.  Went to call at Mrs Hardings in the evening.

Tuesday 24th   Left Auckland by the “Rose Casey” at 11 am to return to Omaha, there was a head wind and a rough sea but I was not at all sick, but enjoyed the trip very much.  Arrived at Omaha at 6 pm.

Wednesday 25th.  The boys hauled up the goods I got in Auckland after which they hauled firewood out.

Thursday 26th   I was sieving Cocksfoot Seed.

Friday 27th   The boys were hauling out firewood in the morning.
I was clearing the tea tree away from the fence ready for burning the tea tree, but it came on to rain so we could not set fire to it.  Killed a Sheep in the evening.

Saturday 28th   It was a fine day.  The boys were mending the Katamaran in the morning.  I was cutting tea tree near My Wyatts fence.  I the afternoon John went to Matakana.

Sunday 29th   It was fine in the morning but rather dull.  Henry went to Pakiri in the morning.  I read service in the Hall in the afternoon, there was a small attendance.  It rained when we came out of church and it continued for some time.

Tuesday 31st  John & Henry went to Tomarata to dig gum.