August 1920

Sunday 1st   It was a fine day, but dull.  In the morning Joe & I attended the Church of England service, there were about 25 present and 15 staid for communion.  Revd Venarbles officiated.
in the afternoon Joe & I took a walk down Lincoln Rd as far as the new concrete bridge across the Swanson creek, called in to look at an orchard that is for sale.  Mr & Mrs G  &  I went to Harard Wrights for tea and afterwards we attended the Methodist Church.

Monday 2nd   It was a dull day and the wind blowing strong from the NE.
I bid good bye to my friends and caught the twenty to nine train to Auckland.  Did some shopping and then went across to Devonport.

Tuesday 3rd   It was a fine day.  The wind has changed to SW.  I went across to Auckland in the morning went up Franklin Road to call on Mr Woods, but found nobody at home, then called at James Greenwoods and had lunch there.   Afterwards I called at Rawhiti Hospital and found that Henry had left and was staying at Parnell so I went to St Georges Bay Road to Mrs Blennhassetts  No 37, but found that Henry had gone to town, but I was invited in and given afternoon tea, they seem very nice people.  Returned to the Shore found Grace there and Willie came later on and they staid for dinner and we had music in the evening & Mr Wallace & I played cribbage.

Wednesday 4th   It was a very fine day, wind SW.  Left my friends
(the Wallaces) where I had received much kindness & where I had spent a very pleasant three weeks,  I went across to town by the 9 am boat, Willie also went by same boat , Henry also came to see me off,  Mr & Mrs Archie Dunning were also passengers by the “Kawau” to Leigh.  We arrived at 4.45 and I went up to Eddie Wyatts where I am boarding.

Thursday 5th   It was a very fine day.  Jim Wyatt was away drilling at Evans,  Eddie was cutting scrub, I went down to the village in the morning,  Cashed a Cheque for £29 . 14 . 0 and lodged £20 in the P. O savings bank and kept the remainder for current expenses.
Afterwards went up to the old house and was weeding the Cabbages & Onions.  In the pm I took some Cabbage plants to Mrs Knowles & also a pk  of  shves to W. Dunnings where I had tea.

Friday 6th    It was fine in the morning, but it was blowing strong from the E,  Eddy & Ivy went down to the beach for the day , so I took my lunch up to the old place & did some weeding, but it came on to rain in the afternoon so I came home,  Jim returned from Evans’s.

Saturday 7th    The wind has gone down and changed to the W.  It was fine in the morning, but showery in the pm.  In the morning I took some flowers down to the Church and called at Gravatts.  Eddy, Ivy & Jim went to a hockey match at the Claim in the afternoon.

Sunday 8th   It was a fine day,  Revd Hawksworth held service in the Church in the pm, 26 present.  Collection 12/-

From Monday 9th       I was laid up with a bad cold and cough,
To Saturday 14th         hardly able to do anything  outside.

Sunday 15th   My 77th birthday.   My friends here were very kind and remembered my birthday and had roast beef & plum pudding for dinner.  It was my turn to hold service this afternoon, but on account of my cold I cancelled it.

Monday 16th   It was a fine day.  Jim commenced discing the ground that they are going to put into Oats.  In the morning I went down to the post office.  In the pm I went up to the garden and weeded the round bed.

Tuesday 17th   It was a fine day.  Jim continued discing.  In the morning I went up to the garden & weeded the Onion bed.  In the pm I went down to Horaces place,

Wednesday 18th   It was a fine day.  Jim was harrowing the Oat ground.  In the morning I weeded Onions.  In the afternoon I went down to meet the Steamer,  Henry came up by her,  Jim was over with the sulky to meet him so he went to stay with Jim & Jane.

Saturday 21st   It was a fine day.  In the afternoon Eddie, Ivy & I drove to the Claim,  Footballers from Mangawai should have come in a launch to play a match against Omaha, but on account of rough weather they were unable to come.  Henry who had been staying at Jims’ since last Wednesday went across in a boat to Ti Point with Joe & Minnie.  I staid the night at Jims’.
Eddie & Ivy drove to Ti Point and stayed the weekend at Mr Neeleys.

Sunday 22nd   It was a fine day.  Jim pulled me across in a boat to Ti Point and we had dinner at Joes.  In the pm Henry & I went up to Neeleys & had tea there,  Henry returned to Joes & I returned to Leigh with Eddie & Ivy.

Tuesday 24th   Henry left Joes, called at Gravatts and came here late in the evening.

Wednesday 25th   It was a showery day.  In the morning Henry went down to the village to send away a wire, he had dinner here and in the pm we called at Mr A. Dunnings, had afternoon tea there and Henry went away from here by the “Kawau” which left here about 5.30 pm.

Thursday 26th   It was a fine day,  I was working in the garden at the old home.

Friday 27th   In the morning I  was working in the garden, got a wire to say that Grace was coming by the “Kawau” this afternoon.  Went down to meet the steamer, Raymond came up with Grace.
The ladies gave afternoon tea to Mrs Knowles , her mother (Mrs McCullough) and children as Mrs K is leaving tomorrow as she has been appointed 1st Assistant at Buckland,  Colin Matheson on behalf of the children read an address expressing sorrow at her leaving and asking her acceptance of a fountain pen.  There were some musical items & Mrs K gave a recitation of her own composition.

Saturday 28th    It was a fine day.  I went down to get the mail in the morning, also went down to the wharf , there were a lot of people to see Mrs Knowles off.
A lot of fellows came in a launch last night from Mangawai, they played a match at Foolball & Hockey at the Claim today against a local team, and in each case the local team won.
Grace was up at the house looking after her things and in the afternoon she & Raymond walked to Ti Point to stay at Flo’s.
I was digging in the garden.

Sunday 29th   It was fine in the morning so Jim & I got ready to attend the methodist service  in the afternoon, but soon after dinner it came on to rain & continued steadily until evening, so that we did not go down , but we heard afterwards that Mr Richards had sent a wire yesterday pm that he was not coming.

Monday 30th   It was a very fine day.  I continued digging the top side of the house.

Tuesday 31st   It was a very fine day.  Grace was up at the old home packing up.
Jim & Eddie brought a dray & a spring cart and carted all Willies furniture down to the wharf.  I was digging the top side of the house,
I sowed 1 row of Suttons Peerless Peas.