January 1918

Tuesday 1st   It was very windy in the morning, but late in the afternoon there came on a drizzling rain.  There was the usual picnic at the Domain, this year it was in aid of the Carnival Queen.  Willie, Grace & Raymond drove over in the afternoon.
Dave fetched his boy Willie from Mrs Dunnings and spent the day at his own place.  I remained at home, cleaned out my office, did a lot of odd jobs and had a bath.

Wednesday 2nd   It was a fine day.  Willie and Dave were building a charcoal kiln.  I was taking up the Daffodils in the diamond bed.

Thursday 3rd   It was a fine day.  It was advertised that the “Kawau” was to  [leave]  last night for here at midnight, so that she should have arrived here early this morning,  Grace went down to the wharf before breakfast to get the bread & meat, but she heard while she was down there that  she heard that  the “kawau” was not to leave Auckland until 11 this morning.  I went down to meet the steamer when she came in  about 4 pm, I got the bread, meat & mail, returned home and about 6 pm I went down again to get the overland mail, when I came home I had my tea and helped Willie milk the cows, and then I went down to the Hall to a Hall Committee meeting.  There was a Social in the Hall as a farewell to Private Ian Matheson who is home on his final leave .  There was a big attendance , the proceeds were for the local Carnival Queen.

Friday 4th   There was a heavy shower in the morning.  Willie hauled 2 Sacks of Fowl food,  1 Bag of Calf meal & 2 Egg boxes up from the wharf in the morning,  the remainder of the day he and Dave were watching their charcoal kiln.
I was working in the flower garden , I planted 3 Alysums2 Stocks  & 1 Verbena.

Saturday 5th   It was a fine day.  Willie & Dave were watching their charcoal kiln.  I was working in the flower garden in the morn.  In the afternoon I went down to the wharf to bid good bye to Ian Matheson who was leaving by the “Kawau” to return to camp, a great crowd was on the wharf to give him a cheer.  Grace went down to the Church to sweep, dust and decorate.

Sunday 6th   It was a dull day, only a few slight showers.  Agnes & Jack were here for dinner.  I conducted service in the Church in the afternoon.  The King had fixed this Sunday as a day of prayer for the success of our arms and for a permanent peace, so I read special prayers and a suitable sermon.  There were 27 present.  Collection 10/3 .  I went up to Willie Dunnings for tea.

Monday 7th   It was a fine day, ‘tho dull.  Willie & Dave took out their charcoal, they had 68 bags.  I was working in the garden, I cut the grass on the paths, and cleaned the summer house out, & washed the seats and the floor.
It rained a little in the evening.

Tuesday 8th   It was a dull day.  Willie & Dave were carting their charcoal down to the wharf.
After breakfast I went down to the beach and carried a lot of sand over to the wharf for Dave to cart up for me.  While I was down there the “Kawau” called in on her way to Mangawai having lain at Kawau last night on account of the easterly wind,  I got the mail.
Mrs W. Dunning came in the evening bringing 3 of her eldest children to hear the gramaphone, she told me that Eddie Wyatt had just come home,  Charlie, Maggie and he having driven from Wellsford,  Eddie was looking very well and has now got a commission as Lieutenant.

Wednesday 9th   It did not rain, but it was misty and threatening. Willie & Dave were cutting wood for another kiln.
I went down to the steamer in the afternoon, she was very late in getting here as she went into Big Omaha wharf.

Thursday 10th   It was very misty and threatening, but the rain kept off during the day.  There was a picnic on the Lewis Meiklejohn beach as a welcome home to Eddie Wyatt, a great crowd attended & they passed a very enjoyable day,  Willie & Grace drove over.  Dave & I staid at home.

Friday 11th   Jack’s 46th birthday.  We had some showers today.
Willie & Dave were building another kiln.  I was digging up the piece of ground in the flower garden near the lemon trees, it had not been dug for two years and therefore was very hard.
I went down to the steamer to get bread and also got the mail.
Eddie Wyatt who has got a commission of 2nd Lieutenant came to spend the evening.

Saturday 12th   Willie and I made up our minds to go to Auckland to day by the “Kawau” which left Leigh wharf at 9.30 am.  We had a very calm passage up arriving in Auckland at 2.30 pm, we went straight over to Devonport to Mr Wallaces where we received a hearty welcome.  Gordon, his wife and two little ones came over in the pm.  Willie, Alma and Leila went to the pictures in the evening.

Sunday 13th   It was a misty showery day, I was not feeling very well so did not go out anywhere.  Alma and Leila started on a holiday trip to Palmerston North in the evening by the main trunk,  Mr Wallace went across to see them off.  Ken called in the evening.

Monday 14th   It was a showery day.  Willie went across to Auckland in the morning.  I was not at all well, so staid at home.

Tuesday 15th   It was showery in the morning, but it turned out a very hot day.  Willie & I went across to Auckland in the morning.  We had dinner in town and then we went to Point Erin Park, Ponsonby.
I got into conversation with the gardener and he gave me a white Fuchsia and some cuttings of a white Penstemon.

Wednesday 16th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I went across to Auckland in the morning.  Went up to see Mr Meredith the Lawyers and then we went along Kings drive and to Gillies Park, Parnell,  had dinner in town and in the afternoon went to a matinee at the Tivoli Theatre.

Thursday 17th   It was a fine day.  Willie and I went over to Auckland in the morning and we had to meet Mr Meredith at his office and we went to the Court House where Willie’s appeal against Military service by the Military service Board  [was to be heard] ,  his case was adjourned Sine Die.   I returned to Devonport for lunch, but Willie remained in Auckland to transact some business and returned to Devonport later in the pm.

Friday 18th   It was a showery day.  Willie & I went across to Auckland in the morning, we had lunch at the tea rooms at the top of John Courts shop.
Willie left for home by the “Kawau” at 2 pm.  I went down to see him off and then I returned to Devonport.

Saturday 19th   It rained early in the morning, but afterwards it turned out a fine day.  In the morning I walked down to Hendersons to get a few things and in the afternoon I walked up to Ken’s place, had a look round his garden which is well kept, partook of afternoon tea, and returned to Mr Wallaces.

Sunday 20th   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I attended Trinity Church.  Revd Hawkeswood (Curate) read prayers and preached.  In the afternoon Mr Wallace & I went across to Auckland, and then took the boat to Birkenhead and visited Mr Wraggs gardens.  In the evening I went with Mr W to the new Presbyterian Church.  Ken and Tilley were at Mr Wallaces in the afternoon.

Monday 21st   It was a very fine day.  In the morning I went to call on Mr McKiley in Albert Road and had a look round his garden, then I went to call on Mrs Sutherland, but she was not at home, but I had a long talk with her son Willie who has been invalided home from the war.  In the afternoon I went across to town and to Mt Eden to Mr Grindrods, had tea there and had a look round his garden.  Returned to Devonport, found Mr McMurtrie at Mr Wallaces who had dropped in for a chat.

Tuesday 22nd   It was a very hot day.  Went across to Auckland in the afternoon, took the car up to Cemetery Bridge and walked to the Domain gardens which are a blaze of colour, the glass houses are full of beautiful flowers & ferns, the Gloxinias were the finest I had seen  and so many shades of colours.  I met Mrs Rogers there and her daughters Mrs Blackburn and Mrs W. Savage and her son.
Mr Wallace and I went to the Pictures, the chief piece being ‘Man and his Soul ‘

Wednesday 23rd   It was a fine day.  I went over to Auckland in the pm.  I went up a new street that is being made called Anzac Avenue, it used to be called Jermyn  St, but has been widened and straightened, then I walked up and down each side of Krangahape [sic] Road and then returned to Devonport.
In the evening Mrs Petersen and Mr McMurtrie came and we played Euchie.

Thursday 24th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I went to call on Mrs Cogswell in Church St, she and her sisters are living together, and they seem cultivated & refined people.  They gave me a lot of flower cuttings.  In the afternoon I went across to town I took these cuttings in a tin down to the N. S. S. Office .  Made several purchases & then returned to Devonport.

Friday 25th   There was a misty rain in the morning , but it turned out a fine day .  I left my friends the Wallaces went over to Auckland by the 8 am boat, having spent a very pleasant time,  I made some purchases and then embarked on the “Kawau” bound for Leigh, we had a beautiful calm passage arriving at Leigh wharf at 3 pm.  Willie met me with a trap and I soon found myself in my own home again.
The flowers in the garden, especially the grass on the paths had grown on the paths during my absence.  Grace went down with the cream cart this morning to Matakana intending to go to Warkworth tomorrow to the Queens Carnival.  Mr Glass is now baching down on the Koeroa flat near their work.

Saturday 26th   It was very dull in the morning but the day passed without rain.  After breakfast I took a bunch of flowers down to Captn Ohlsen, and then I carried some sand across to the wharf  & Dave carted it up in the evening.
Revd Macdonald came to look at my garden and staid for lunch.  Willie and Dave between them carted 62 sacks of charcoal to the wharf shed.

Sunday 27th   Although the weather was threatening, it did not rain. In the morning Willie took the horse to Jims to meet Grace who came from Matakana in the cream cart and to bring home the sulky that Jim had borrowed to go to the Carnival, they returned home just as it was getting dark.
I was left at home on my own.
Revd Macdonald held service in the Church at 2.30,  there were 18 present.  Collection 11/- .

Monday 28th   The Anniversary was going to be kept in Auckland to day instead of tomorrow, but the weather was very propitious if they had the same as we had here.  It rained in the morning and although it cleared up later on it was misty and the sun never showed out and there  [were]  showers, a very heavy one in the evening.
I was working in the garden when the weather permitted , I cut the grass on the path and did a lot of weeding , so much rain while I was in Auckland that the weeds had got a head,  Willie was digging out Potatoes.  Mrs Knowles was here for lunch.

Tuesday 29th   It rained in the morning, but cleared up in the afternoon, wind SW.  Willie was digging Potatoes.
In the morning I went over to the farm orchard and tied up the Tomatoes which are looking well.  In the afternoon I rode over to Jims place where I had tea, returning home in the evening.

Wednesday 30th   It rained a little in the morning , it cleared up afterwards, but was dull.  Willie finished digging the Potatoes  & he put them into the store.  I was very stiff after my ride yesterday & could do no work.  I wrote letters to Mr Cogswell & to my brother Henry also sent him a Weekly News,
There was a meeting of the Mutual Improvement Society in the Hall in the evening,  I attended.

Thursday 31st   First thing in the morning Willie carted some fruit and a box of eggs down to the wharf.  I went down later on when the steamer arrived and got bread and beef & the mail.  I worked in the garden.  Willie & Dave were hauling wood & building  [a]  kiln.
Heavy rain in the afternoon.  In the evening I went down for the mail & attended  [the]  annual meeting of the Library.