November 1908

Sunday 1st   It was a fine day, but there was a strong wind blowing from the SW.  In the morning I walked to Ti Point, first calling at D. Knaggs to take Mrs K some pansy plants, I had dinner there, afterwards called at Joes and also at Mrs Lloyd’s  to look at Nelly’s garden, had a cup of tea there and then started for home.  Willie rode to Ti Point on his new horse spending his day at Joes.  Jane rode up to John Greenwoods in the afternoon.

Monday 2nd   It was a fine day,  wind blowing SSW.
In the morning we got what sheep up from the farm, and we tailed what Lambs we had in ,
11 Ewes,  9 Wethers.  Total 20

Tuesday 3rd   It was very dull first thing in the morning, but it turned out a fine, hot day.  Mr Neeley and his son Gus came to shear the sheep.  We tried to get in from the farm what escaped us yesterday, but we only brought in 3 sheep and 2 lambs.  There were 54 Sheep sheared.  The 2 Lambs Willie got in we tailed they were both wethers which makes 11 Ewes,  11 Wethers.

Wednesday 4th   It was a fine day.  We killed a long tailed Hogget in the morning.  Willie was on the farm nearly all day hunting up Sheep with wool on them, he shore 5  and also caught and tailed 2 Lambs.
1 Ewe  &  1 Wether.  Willie took a box of Eggs & 6 lbs butter down to the wharf with the new horse, using him in harness for the first time.
There was a Social in the Hall in the evening to get funds to purchase toys for the Christmas tree, we three went.

Thursday 5th   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie took out the mutton.  I sowed 2 rows Turnips.  In the afternoon Willie sowed 2 rows Dun Beans next to the pumpkins.  I went down for the mail and attended the Library in the evening.

Friday 6th   It was a fine day, but very windy and disagreeable.  I sowed 2 rows Cabbage  Lettuce and Willie planted out 2 rows of Califlowers.  Alma & Agnes came over and went with Jane to the Bible Class picnic in the pm.  Willie & I went in the evening.  The service of song  Jessica’s First Prayer was sung by a choir collected from the neighbourhood.

Saturday 7th   It was a fine day.  I was working in the flower garden.  Willie and Ab Wyatt went fishing to Goat Island beach, but only caught a few small cod.

Sunday 8th   It was a fine day.  I went to Joe Wyatts in the pm and staid tea there.

Monday 9th   The Kings & Henry’s birthday.   It was a fine day.  There was Tennis at the Claim about 19 players came from Warkworth in a brake to play a friendly game with Omaha and Claim Clubs combined.  Jane, who was playing, rode over in the morning, Willie went in the evening after he had milked.  In the evening morning I walked to Pakiri calling at John Greenwoods, going on to Mrs Wittens, had a look round the orchard.  In the pm went to a Lecture by Mr Todd on No License, there was a good audience and a very good lecture.  I returned to Mrs Wittens and staid all night.

Tuesday 10th   A very fine day.  After breakfast I walked down to Harry Dyers, he was driving over to Omaha in his waggon so he gave me a ride home.
After lunch I rode to Ti Point, when returning home I met Mr Todd, he returned with me for tea, afterwards we all went down to the Hall when Mr Todd gave a Lecture on No License,  I was chairman.  After the lecture Mr Todd rode to his home at Matakana.

Wednesday 11th   It was a fine day.  The polling for a member for the County Council, Henry Brown and Joseph Banks were the candidates, Charlie Wyatt was D. R. O.  I went down in the morning to record my vote ,  John Greenwood brought me some small flower plants, I put them in in the pm.
Joe Torkington was here for dinner.  Willie hauled a box of Eggs & Butter down to the wharf in the afternoon and he brought up a box of groceries, empty egg box & wool pack.

Thursday 12th   There was a slight shower of rain in the morning, but it did not last long and then the sun came out and it was a scorching day.  In the morning I went down to the P.O to get the Ballot Box and other things for the Election.  Afterwards was digging between the Dun Beans and in the afternoon digging out weeds in the flower garden.
In the afternoon Jane & Mabel rode to Mrs Hadwicks and Jas Darrochs.  In the evening I went down for the mail.  I heard the result of the polling for the County Election,  H. Brown defeated Brown by 10 votes.
There was a meeting of the Farmers Association, in the absence of Mr John Greenwood I was appointed Chairman, the business was impromptu speaking, the subject that came to my lot was “What varieties of grasses are suitable grasses for this district”.  After my remarks there was an animated discussion.

Friday 13th   It was a hot day.  In the morning Willie went up to Neeleys to get two fleeces of wool that they sheared from two of our sheep that were on his place.  Afterwards he was making a stand for thrashing grass seed on.
I sowed the following seeds in boxes, viz   Salpiglossis,  Rhodanthe Poppy,  Phlox,  Cosmea,  Aster.

Saturday 14th   It was a fine day.  Willie was out fishing on the reef all day, he caught a quantity of schnappers & cods, he carried as much as he could home and gave a lot away.  I was working in the flower garden all day .  In the pm I went down to the beach to get some black soil.

Sunday 15th   It was a beautiful day.  Willie rode to Ti Point to spend the day.  Revd  S. Entrican (Presbyterian) held service in the Hall in the am, Jane and I went.  After the service the members and adherents signed a call to the Revd  gentleman  for the Warkworth district.
In the afternoon I went up to Mr Handbys. Mr James Greenwood was also there.  I staid for tea.

Monday 16th   It was a fine day.  In the morning Willie and I packed a Bale of Wool, we got 60 Fleeces in it.  In the afternoon Willie took the Bale of Wool down to the wharf, I went with him, we hauled up 2 bags of sand and 1 bag of grit

Tuesday 17th   General Election for taking the Electoral & Licensing Poll, I was D. R. O. for the former and Charlie Wyatt for the latter.
It was a dull day, wind blowing strong from the NE, in the afternoon there was misty rain which continued on into the evening, in other portions of the district there was a heavier fall of rain , Willie and I staid down at the P. O till after midnight to hear the returns as they came in , the members polled here were as follows:
Harrison                              Mander                                Soule
       12                                          58                                            1
Continuance                     Reduction                        No License
         27                                       41                                          43

Wednesday 18th   There was a misty rain all morning and heavier in the afternoon , but it cleared off a bit later on and I went down to the village to learn something about the Election.  There were a good many waiting for the steamer, but she did not put in an appearance, and as it was getting dark I came home.  Jane was to have gone to the Masonic Ball in Warkworth this evening, but on account of the rain she could not go.

Thursday 19th   It was dull and threatening in the morning, but it did not rain.  I went down to the village to post some letters, afterwards sieved some black soil on the flat & carried it over to the wharf,  Willie hauled the box of Eggs down and he hauled my bags of soil home.
The “Ohinemuri” came early this morning instead of the “Kawau“, Mr & Mrs Ashworth came up to settle here having bought Willie Savage out some time ago and they have just returned from a trip to the old country.
In the afternoon it rained pretty heavy, I planted out 2 plants of Chrysanthemum in the bed under the dining rood  [sic: room] casement, also 2 Pelagoniums.  In the evening I went down to the Post Office & Library.

Friday 20th   It was a showery day.  Willie was making a maul in the shed.  I planted out 3 Chrysanthemums,  2 Carnations and several other plants.

Saturday 21st   It was a beautiful day.  In the morning Willie and I went up to clear the line between our back line and Mr Savages and he wants us to fence.  Willie also went up there in the afternoon.  I was working in the flower garden.  Jane rode to the Claim as there was cricket there this afternoon.

Sunday 22nd   It was a fine day.  Minnie called here in the morning to borrow the horse to go with Ivy up to Mr Banks to spend the day.
Jane walked over to Ti Point to see Flo.  I went down to the beach to J. Wyatts.

Monday 23rd   It was a very hot day, but there was a nice cool breeze blowing.  Willie & I were splitting posts all day, to put up the fence between Mr Savages & us.  We took our lunch and & staid all day.

Tuesday 24th   The wind has changed to the NW.  It was cloudy and was trying to rain several times, but the showers were very slight.
Willie went up by himself and finished splitting the posts and carried them and laid them along the line.
I went down below in the morning to take May Dunning a bunch of flowers who was going to Auckland in the “Kawau“.  I went to Auckland  the Library and packed up the ballot box and posted it.
In the afternoon I  was planting flower plants in the flower garden.

Wednesday 25th   There were some showers in the morning.  I went to Auckland in the morning per “Kawau“, it was an excursion trip at single fares to the Auckland Show.  It was a very rough trip, most of the passengers were very sick, I was not, but was very much shaken up.  Alan Wallace met me at the wharf and we went across to the North Shore where I received a hearty welcome from Mr & Mrs Wallace and family.

Thursday 26th   There were several showers.  I was too unwell to go across to Auckland, so took a walk round the North Shore.

Friday 27th   It was a fine day in the morning, I went across to Auckland, transacked some business in Queen St and then went up to Ponsonby, had lunch at Mrs Simpsons.  In the pm I met Alan Wallace at the foot of Queen Street where we took the car out to Alexandra Park to see the Agricultural Show, the most interesting exhibits to my mind were the flowers, especially the roses which were beautiful.

Saturday 28th   It was a fine day in the morning, I went across to Auckland and up to Ponsonby to get measured for a pair of boots, returned to the Shore for lunch.  In the afternoon I went to call on Mr Peterson who showed me round his glass houses where he has Cucumbers & Grapes growing.  Afterwards I went to the Domain to witness a Cricket Match between the Shore & Eden Clubs, the match was not finished,  Shore scored 200 in the first innings.  Eden got 50 odd with 2 wickets down , Ken Wallace was playing on the Shore ground in a junior team.  Alan was playing for the University on Victoria Park.

Sunday 29th   It was a fine day.  In the morning  Mr W. ,  Alma & I attended service at Trinity Church.   Revd  Edgehill of the Melinesian Mission officiated.
In the afternoon I went to call on Mrs Southerland, also on Mrs McKenzie where I staid tea.  Fred Simpson was spending the day at Wallaces.
In the evening Mr Wallace & I attended service at the Presbyterian Church,  Revd  Ivo Bertrum officiated.  Mr & Mrs Sep. Meiklejohn walked home with us as far as the gasworks.

Monday 30th   It was a fine day.  In the morning I walked with Alan to Cheltnum beach where Alan had a swim, afterwards we walked round by the Narrow Neck road and home by the Lake Road.  In the afternoon Alan and I went across to Auckland, I did some shopping.
In the evening Mr W. , Ken, Alma and I went to spend the evening at Mr Petersens, we played cards, they are very nice homely people.