January 1922

Sunday 1st   It was a fine day.  I went up to the garden after breakfast to pick some flowers.  I went down to the church in the afternoon intending to conduct service, when Mr Birss and 7 scout boys came walking in , so I asked him to assist in the service, so he read the prayers & I read the sermon ,  there was a very large congregation and the Collection 26/7.  After church I went up to Mr Griggs for tea, in the evening they gave me a musical treat.  Mr & Mrs W. Dunning came in the evening.

Monday 2nd   It was a fine day, although the sun was shining all day, there was a nice breeze blowing which made it nice & pleasant.  The usual picnic & sports were held at the Claim.  Mr Ashworth ran a service with his car.  The Kirks, Raymond & I went in the first load, we first went to Jims before we went to the domain, we had our lunch at Jane’s table.  There was a large company of us.
The sports were held in the afternoon.  I met a lot of old friends who I generally meet every year at this picnic.  The Kirks & I  returned from the Domain at 6 pm in Mr Ashworths car.

Tuesday 3rd   It rained last night and early this morning, wind blowing strong from E, and there is a big sea outside.  As the weather was not too good I stayed at home in the morning and wrote a letter to my son Jack.  In the afternoon I went up to the garden and picked some peas & beans and a cabbage and took them up to Mr Griggs. Went up to the garden also after tea and did some watering.

Wednesday 4th   It was a fine day, but the wind is still blowing hard from the E.   There was a big picnic at Ti Point today, but none from this house went.  Jim finished reaping the Oats this morning and in the pm he took the machine over to Pakiri to reap for McWhite.
I was working in the garden all day,  I planted 14 Cabbage plants also 3 African Marigolds & 1 Zinnia.

Thursday 5th   It was a fine day.  Wind still east, but not quite so strong.  Took my lunch up to the garden and came for tea, but went up again in the evening,  I planted 5 Zinnias and 1 African Marigold, made a seed box.

Friday 6th   It was a fine day and the wind has calmed down.  I took my lunch up to the garden and was working there all day.  I finished digging up the Snowflakes.  Sowed seed of Canterbury Bell in a box & and Cauliflower seed in a washing tub, cut grass on the path.  Went for the mail in the evening.  Willie & Grace were packing as they are returning to Auckland tomorrow.

Saturday 7th   It was a very hot day.  There should have been a Cricket Match at Warkworth today between Warkworth and Omaha clubs, but they only heard this morning that it was put off, so the young people here went to a picnic at the Claim.  I took my lunch up to the garden, finished cutting the grass on the paths, did a lot of watering, picked in the Peerless pea seed, picked some Canadian Wonder beans for the Kirks, picked Stratagem peas for this house, gathered flowers for the church.  Willie, Grace & Raymond returned to Auckland per “Kawau” leaving here at 4 pm, there were a lot of passengers going by her.  Put flowers in the Church & trimmed the lamps.

Sunday 8th   It was a very hot day.  I attended Revd Pooles service in the morning.  Oscar Zanders came over from Warkworth in his car bringing Mr Cullen Senr,  W. Purchase & a young Trotter, they had dinner here.
In the afternoon I went to call on Mr & Mrs Hoskyn, also called at Mr Hewitts, but that they were all on Goat Island beach.  Mr W. Birss, Lay Reader from S. Matthews parish Auckland conducted service in the Church in the evening.  His 7 boy scouts sang nicely.  There was a good congregation.  Collection 18/10 .

Monday 9th   It was a very hot day.  After breakfast I went up to the garden and watered some young plants.  The Wyatts took their Oats in to day.  Alf Dunning & I were tieing up sheaves and loading the sleigh.  Jim was driving.  Charlie & Eddie were staking.

Tuesday 10th   It was a very fine day, not quite so hot as yesterday.  Wyatts finished taking in the Oats.  I was helping Jim load the sleighs, we finished about 1 pm.
After that I went up to the garden, picked peas, cut a cabbage, took out the peas sticks of Suttons Peerless peas and picked in the seed peas

Wednesday 11th   It was a very fine day.  Was working in the garden all day.  I tied the pea sticks from the Peerless Peas in bundles, did a lot of watering and commenced to dig the piece of ground where the Peerless peas grew.  Went down to the steamer in the afternoon.

Thursday 12th   It was a very hot day.  I was up at the garden morning & afternoon.  I was watering & continued digging what I started yesterday.
Jim was reaping the Oats & vetches.  I went to see the steamer off this morning.  Mr Birss & his boys were on board going back to Auckland, I took him a case of Lemons,  George Davey,  Gertie and Mr Torkington were also on board.

Friday 13th   A very showery day.  I went up to the garden morning & afternoon, but was not able to do much.  There should have been a Bible Class picnic on Matheson’s beach, but on account of the weather it did not come off.
I went down for the mail on the evening.

Saturday 14th   It was a fine day.  I went to Big Omaha in the cream cart leaving a bag of peas & beans in the cream box for Jane.  Called at Mrs Dales, had lunch there, then called at Angus Dunnings.  Angus was at a cricket match at Matakana so I did not stay long, then called at Mr Delatours, but did not find anyone at home, so walked back to Jane’s where I staid the night.

Sunday 15th   It was a fine day.  Jim drove me over to Matakana church in the afternoon.  Revd Hawksworth (the Vicar) officiated, returned to Jim’s and staid the night.

Monday 16th   It was a fine day.  I returned home in the morning with the cream cart.  In the afternoon I went up to the garden , did a little digging and then started to take up the Daffodil bulbs. After tea I went up to the garden & cut some flowers & picked some beans & took them to Arthur Greenwoods,  I got him to audit the Church acts for the last half year.  Jim was reaping Oats at Mrs G. Wyatts to day.
There was a meeting of the Farmers Union in the evening.

Tuesday 17th   It was a very fine day.  I was working up at the garden all day.  I tied up the Tomatoes, watered,  & finished digging the piece of ground I started last Wednesday.  Jim was reaping up at John Greenwoods.  Mr & Mrs Kirk came to spend the evening.

Wednesday 18th   It was a fine day.  I was up at the garden both morning and afternoon.  I was watering, tieing up plants.  Planted 3 Zinnias, taking up the Daffodils.  Went down for the mail after tea.

Thursday 19th   It was a fine day.  I was up at the garden morning, afternoon & evening.  I took up Daffodil bulbs ,  gave the Onions a good watering with liquid manure & clear water.
The Kirks returned to Auckland in the “Kawau“,  which left here at 12.30,  having been here a month.  I went down to the wharf to see them off.

Friday 20th   It was a very hot day.  Wyatts finished taking in the Oats & vetches hay, they picked plums & carted them down to the wharf in the evening.  The adjourned Bibe Class picknic took place on Mathesons beach.  Ivy went to it.
I finished taking up the Daffodils & I put each variety in a paper bag.
Went down for the mail in the evening.

Saturday 21st   It was a very hot day.  I took my lunch and went up to the garden , I picked some flowers & took them down to the Church, posted a letter to T. F. Long, went to the Library and changed a book, then returned to the garden and remained there until 5 pm.  I took up the bulbs of the Bride Gladiolus & the Dwarf Pink Gladiolus, did some watering and tidying up.
There was a Cricket match at Warkworth between Omaha & the local club, Omaha made over 300 runs & Warkworth over 200, Omaha beating by 90 runs.  Pat made 102,  Willie 80 & Mr Shepherd on their side made 90 runs.

Sunday 22nd   It was a very hot day.  Revd Hawksworth held his last service in the Church , there were 30 present.  Collection 13/3 .
Mr H. was accompanied by Mr A. J. Shepherd head teacher at Warkworth, he came up here after the service and staid the night , after tea while the boys were milking he went up with me to see my garden, being an enthusiastic florist and Daffodil grower, I enjoyed is company very much.
I heard in the evening that my old friend Willie Runciman had died suddenly.

Monday 23rd   It was a fine day.  Eddie and Mr Shepherd rode round the farm together and then they came into the garden where I was,  I gave Mr S  2 varieties of Daffodil,  3 Dahlia plants, an Ageratum &
a Verbena,  also a packet of Cauliflower & Onion seed.  After dinner Mr Shepherd returned to Warkworth ,  I went down to the village with him to show him the Library and the harbour.  Jim was carting in Oats for Mrs G. Wyatt.   Mrs R. & K.  Matheson & Mrs H. Torkington were here for tea.

Tuesday 24th   It was a very hot day, wind from E.  I was up at the garden all day watering,  tieing up,   and shelling Suttons Peerless Peas.  1st & 2nd Qualities which I put in separate bags.  I went to Arthur Greenwoods in the evening about Library matters.  Wyatts were sawing box timber.

Wednesday 25th   It was blowing a gale from the E and raining all day.  I did not go up to the garden, but went to the Library to get some information for the annual meeting which is to be held on Friday.  The boys were making up fruit cases.  The Steamer did not come on account of the weather.

Thursday 26th   It was blowing, but the wind has gone round to the N, still raining.  I remained in the house all morning and mended socks.  In the afternoon I went up to the garden , I found that the wind had not done any damage to the plants .  I picked some homestead beans & liquid manured the onions.  The Steamer made a round trip.  Eddie went down for the mail in the evening.  I received the Eczema ointment from Mr T. F. Long.

Friday 27th   It was a fine day.  I was up at the garden morning & afternoon cleaning the paths of weeds, and I planted 2 Zinnias.
Went for the mail in the evening.  The Annual Meeting of Subscribers to the Library was held, but was adjourned.

Saturday 28th   It was raining when I awoke this morning and it rained nearly all day.  There was to have been a Cricket Match  and the boys were going, but on account of the weather they did not go.
I staid in all day and commenced to write a letter to my brother Henry.  After tea I went up to the garden , cut some flowers & took them down to the Church.

Sunday 29th   It was a fine day.  Wind E.   I conducted service in the Church at 2.30.  There were only 16 present.  Collection 6/5 .

Monday 30th   Charlie & the boys went to Pakiri to spray the cattle so I took my lunch up to the garden where I was busy all day.  I planted out about 14 Thalictrum plants near the lower gate, the seed of this was given to me by Beasley.  I also sowed seeds in a shallow box of Delphinium and seeds of a cross between a Campanula & Cornflower,  also cuttings of Alons-o-a.  [sic]
I went to Mr Archie Dunnings in the evening and we played cribbage.

Tuesday 31st   It was fine during the day, but rain was threatening. The was were  [sic]  up at Kempts,  Jim was reaping wheat.  I was up at the garden both morning and afternoon, I finished digging the border next the wire netting fence.  Went down for the mail in the morning.