November 1892

Tuesday 1st   A very hot day. We sowed 1 bed of Brown Spanish Onion , 5 ft wide. 5 rows in the bed 11 inches apart, also 14 rows Hollow Crown Parsnips 12 inches between the rows, digging manure and bonedust into the ground and fine bonedust in the drill with the seeds.
Afterwards we continued digging near the Apricot trees.  Mr Pratt, Mrs T. Pratt and Miss Pratt were here for tea, the two latter stayed here all night as they are going to Auckland by the Steamer in the morning.  I was down to the Steamer in the evening.  I sent an order to Messrs G. W. Binney for 37 Woolpacks & 6 lbs Twine for the Farmers Association.
There was a dance in the Hall in the evening.

Wednesday 2nd   Mrs T.  &  Miss Pratt went to Auckland by the Steamer this morning, she went over to the Little Barrier to deliver some important letters to the Natives, she called back here for the passengers leaving here about 8 am.
We were digging at the bottom of the orchard , the ground is very hard on the top and wet underneath.
It was a fine day but towards evening it looked threatening for rain.

Thursday 3rd   It rained in the morning, but it cleared up in the afternoon, but the mist was hanging about in the hills.  In the afternoon we split some puriri picketts.

Friday 4th   The SS “Ruby” and “Rose Casey” were in the harbour today, they also went to the Little Barrier,  they went over there in connection with the purchase of that Island.  We drove the picketts in at the fence at the top of the hill which divides the Barley Paddock from the farm and I stapled them.  We dug a little in this orchard in the afternoon.

Saturday 5th   It rained last night and very heavily all this morning, it has washed great channels through the garden , there is a great fresh in the creek and land slips all over the place, one has carried away the fence between Frearsons and us near the main creek .  The Wyatts who had the contract of putting in a culvert where the big bridge was at the foot of our land had nearly finished the job, all the earth of the filling in was swept away leaving the pipes bare,  the pipes which are 2 ft ones not being large enough to carry the water.
There was to have been a meeting of the Show Committee in the Hall this evening, but the weather prevented a sufficient number turning up to hold a meeting.  Willie returned from Tomarata, he walked round by the beach.

Sunday 6th   It was a fine day and the sun very hot and a gentle wind that was blowing has dried the ground up nicely.    Revd S. Griffith preached in the Hall in the afternoon, there was a large congregation.
Matthew & Miss Phillis Came, who were at the service, came up here for tea, Tom Pratt & H. Raym were also here for tea.
It looked very thick and misty up on the hill in the evening and it threatens very much for rain.

Monday 7th   It was a fine day and the weather seems more settled. Willie left early for Tomarata.  We got the Sheep up in the morning, they were very dirty and we cleaned a good many of them.   We picked out the 7 Wethers that are sheared,  also another 4 tooth Wether and a barren Ewe and we put them back in the barley paddock to fatten.   We tailed and earmarked 1 Ewe Lamb, they stand now as follows.
Wethers  25
Ewes          20
Total          45

I went up to Joseph Greenwoods in the afternoon to get some Kumera runners.  Henry went on his horse to Dawson Birdsalls clearing at Big Omaha and brought home 2 of our heifers that were there, Dolly and Judy.   John was digging in this orchard.

Tuesday 8th   It was a fine day.  I was planting Kumera runners the far side of the orchard.  The boys were digging.  The Steamer came in in the evening and went out again after she had landed & taken in her cargo.  We had the Woolpacks up for the members of the Farmers Association.  It threatened very much for rain in the evening.

Wednesday 9th   The Prince of Wales birthday also Henry’s.
I went down to the Wharf in the morning to look after the Woolpacks.  The boys took Emperess down with a slay and hauled up 3 bags flour and a box of groceries.  We were planting Kumera runners the far side of the orchard.  The weather was very dull and we had a few showers of rain but not very heavy.
Mrs Wyatt Snr came and staid all night.

Thursday 10th   It rained nearly all day, but it cleared up in the evening and the wind changed round to the SW.

Friday 11th   It was a fine day, but as there was no wind the ground did not dry up much.  Finished planting Kumeras, we have planted about 230 Sets.   Sowed 2 Rows of Stone Turnips next to the Potatoes in the orchard and finished the strip near the Irish Peach Apple Tree.
The SS “Ruby” called here this morning from Auckland bringing the body of Alister Kempt who died in the Auckland Hospital yesterday morning.  He is to be buried in this Cemetery tomorrow afternoon. We killed a Sheep in the evening. I went up to the Libaray.

Saturday 12th   It was a fine day and very hot in the middle of the day.  The boys started to dig near the golden cluster Apple Tree.
I stuck the 2 rows of Peas.
Alister Kempt was buried in the afternoon (3 oclock) a very large number attended.  Mr G. Knaggs officiated at the grave.
Willie returned in the evening.

Sunday 13th   It was a fine day with the exception of a heavy shower when we were in Church in the afternoon.  John went up to Pratts to spend the day.  I read service in the Hall in the afternoon, there were not many present and in the absence of Miss Greenwood, Miss Matheson led the singing.  Henry & Willie rode to the Pakiri beach in the afternoon to get some mussels.

Monday 14th   Willie went away early in the morning.  It was a fine day.  We were digging in the orchard.  Mr Goodwin inspected the School to day.  Jane passed, but Minnie did not.  I went to Charlies in the evening.

Tuesday 15th   It was a fine day.  We were digging in the orchard. Miss Wann & Miss Blanche Dunning came for tea.  Mrs T. and Miss Pratt came up by the Steamer and called here.
My daughter Maud (Mrs Wm Pratt) was confined of a son this evening at 8 pm, it is a fine child with a quantity of black hair.
Sent away 1 Case Lemons by the Steamer to Esam & Arthur containing 17 Doz  –  11 Doz were Henrys  &  6 Doz mine.

Wednesday 16th   We got the Sheep up in the morning thinking to shear, we fixed up the stockyard and cleared out the shed, but there came on a heavy shower of rain so we had to let them out again.
I made a stencil & a milk bucket out of a kerosene tin.

Thursday 17th   It was a fine day, but the ground is very wet after the heavy rain we had yesterday.  We were digging at the bottom of the orchard and taking out the dead Lemon trees.  I planted out 39 Cabbage Plants (Manchester Defiance).

Friday 18th   We got up the Sheep early in the morning and commenced to shear.  We sheared 52.  The boys went to Frearsons and got a Ewe and a Lamb of ours out of their place.
Our 2 Rams after they were we put into the Barley paddock.



Saturday 19th   It was a very fine day.  We continued shearing the Sheep. sheared 52, there were 7 more in the yard, but as there were several more out we did not try to finish them.   Willie returned in the afternoon.

Sunday 20th   It was a very hot day.  I dug some new Potatoes for dinner.
Read service in the afternoon , there were about 38 present.  Mr Pratt and Mary Anne were at the service and they came here for tea. Mrs Harper, Hettie and Walter Wyatt were also here for tea.  I went to Joe Wyatts in the evening, but it was too dark to have a look round.

Monday 21st   It was a fine day, but it threatened very much for rain in the evening.
We got the sheep up in the morning and finished shearing the Sheep. We sheared 12 today making in all 125 Fleeces.  I have 2 sheep at the Pah which I have sold to Charlie Wyatt for £1
Mr Grattan Cooke the Sheep Inspector called here in the morning and expressed himself very much pleased with the sheep he has seen in the district.  Willie went to Matakana in the morning to register the birth of the baby, they have named it William Horace.
We did a little digging in the afternoon also took in some of the hay that is dry.

Tuesday 22nd   It commenced to rain in the morning and it was a very wet day.  If the Steamer comes in I shall send away a letter containing postal note for 5/- for half years rent of School Reserve due October 1st.  The Steamer did not come in this evening I suppose on account of the rough sea and thick mist.

Wednesday 23rd   The Steamer came in early this morning and went out again immediately after discharging & taking in cargo.  It was very showery in the morning, but very hot between the showers, but it was finer between the showers. The ground was too wet to dig so we cut firewood in the E.R.

Thursday 24th   It was a fine day.  Willie went up home.  The boys took the bullocks down to the Wharf in the morning to haul up some goods for us, but someone had taken our sack of maize by mistake, so they only had to bring up an empty butter  Keg and a case of Coopers dipping  powder which latter they left at the Hall.
We were ploughing in the paddock.

Friday 25th   We were digging between the Golden Russets and the boys cut the Oats.  There was a heavy shower of rain in the afternoon.  We killed a Sheep in the evening.  I went to the Library.

Saturday 26th   The ground was too wet to dig, so the boys went fishing to Peter Kuku (this may be a phonetic attempt to write a maori word)  they caught a lot of Rock Cod and several Schappers.
Willie came home in the pm.  There was a meeting of the Farmers Association in the Hall in the evening.  Mr W. Greenwood read a paper on Sheep.

Sunday 27th   It was a fine day  Tom Wyatt was here for dinner.  I read service in the Hall in the afternoon.  There was a pretty fair congregation.  Mr Pratt and Sarah were here for tea.  I went up to Mr Handbys in the evening and had a look round the orchard & garden.

Monday 28th   We packed our wool in 2 Bales and the boys hauled it down to the Wharf and hauled up a Sack of Maize.  There was a heavy shower of rain in the afternoon.

Tuesday 29th   I was digging the top side of the house filling up the channels that the heavy rains made.  The boys commenced digging the ground that we have just cut Oats off, they dug in manure and put in sticks 7 ft apart as the sites of Pumpkin hills.
I went down to the Wharf in the evening.  The Steamer had a good cargo both ways.  Mr & Mrs Harvey came up to reside here again, bringing a great quantity of furniture and goods.  The Steamer also took in about 50 Bales of Wool besides a quzntity of Potatoes and several cases of lemons.   Danuel McKenzie broke his arm by falling off a horse this afternoon, he is going up in the Steamer tomorrow to have his arm set.
There was a dance in the Hall in the evening, Willie was over but went home again.

Wednesday 30th   We continued digging for pumpkins, digging in manure in the trenches.  It was a hot day & not many showers.  Mrs Wyatt Senr who has been here nursing Maud went home in the afternoon.